Jordan Thornily

Best player of our academy crop. I have no doubt that Jordan Thorniley will have a very good football career. He is already a very good central defender at championship level. He’s not the tallest or quickest but he is a very good tackler, header of the ball and he reads the game well. Definitely not a left back tho. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Best player of our academy crop. I have no doubt that Jordan Thorniley will have a very good football career. He is already a very good central defender at championship level. He’s not the tallest or quickest but he is a very good tackler, header of the ball and he reads the game well. Definitely not a left back tho. 

An accurate assessment

10 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Was gonna neg you but this would be harsh. I like Thorniley but Hector starts as the left cb every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Hector may be 50/50 at best to be our player next season.

Thorniley looking so composed with so few appearances to his name in the first team is a bonus.   He is aggressive when he needs to be, he is good in the air defensively, he can tackle and has good composure, also he can play a bit too moving forwards - he doesn't rush his passes forwards when under pressure.

For me i'd like both players in our future, but I would personally concentrate on Thorniley - keep his head screwed on, get him tied down and make him feel wanted.   Hector next year as well would be a bonus - a big one.

9 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Looked like he was being more vocal than Lees, organising those in front of him helping to keep the shape.

Definitely, I’ve noticed him doing that, virtually from his first game. It’s something that’s really apparent at away games, when supporters are generally nearer the pitch. He’s not adverse to having a go at the keeper as well, and I’ve seen him admonishing Dawson for not coming off his line A future captain, I believe

Talented footballer, who is our best defender. He is also a setter passer and distributor of the ball that Lees (witness his pass out to the right in the Luton replay that led to the goal).

I actually think that from right to left, Lees, Hector, Thorniley ain't too bad a back 3, if we we to revert to 3 at the back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Talented footballer, who is our best defender. He is also a setter passer and distributor of the ball that Lees (witness his pass out to the right in the Luton replay that led to the goal).

I actually think that from right to left, Lees, Hector, Thorniley ain't too bad a back 3, if we we to revert to 3 at the back.

Getting carried away. Don’t accept Thorniley is better than Lees, Hector or Hutch ATM. In the future maybe

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

A year left on his deal and he wants to leave. They won't get 2m.

More likely to be a loan again.

Beware the Bundesliga. German clubs showing a real interest in Prem League nearly men. You may be right but transfer fee superinflation seems to have more bearing than length of contract. Think he’ll either run down his contract or someone will pay 5m+. (Not us)

On 28/01/2019 at 19:42, McRightSide said:

Thought he struggled actually. Did ok with shape but that’s about it. Kept out of jail by his teammates a number of times.

I kind of like Thorniley he’s so wholehearted but he’s just a stopper....nothing else, and I think that will limit his upwards trajectory unless he can find a way to be braver / heighten his technical ability. He’s really poor on the ball

He's more comfortable on the ball than Lees already