Non playing/managing/chairman staff you can remember

So the pictures from Dunsbyowl, reminded me of Dave Barber, and got me thinking of other non playing staff you can recall.

Mine are mainly from the 80s/90s

Dave, being one, Stevie Splash (our best ever dj) not sure of his name Steve Woodhead? Who ran the Young Owls (and I think ICO), Rita Nettleship who did all sorts from tea lady to the supporters club if my memory serves me right. 

I'm gonna cheat a bit (was closely associated with the team) and include Alan Smith our most famous and best physio.

Anyone got any others ( recall any stories) from more recently or even further back of any other unsung heroes?

Nearly forgot Mr Meadows, who did the work of about 100 people.

Edited by OWL1969

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

So the pictures from Dunsbyowl, reminded me of Dave Barber, and got me thinking of other non playing staff you can recall.

Dave, being one, Stevie Splash (our best ever dj) not sure of his name Steve Woodhead? Who ran the Young Owls (and I think ICO), Rita Nettleship who did all sorts from tea lady to the supporters club if my memory serves me right. 

I'm gonna cheat a bit (was closely associated with the team) and include Alan Smith our most famous and best physio.

Anyone got any others ( recall any stories) from more recently or even further back of any other unsung heroes?

Not a member of staff but always remember a bloke stood outside kop with a "the end of the world is nigh" sign in late 70s early 80s

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pulsar said:

There was a reyt fit blonde worked in the Owls memorabilia shop in the early/mid 80s when it was on the South stand side.

Always wanted to ask for her number but i was only 9.

The one on the left lol

Owls Shop.jpg

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Not SWFC staff, but I remember the old "The Star" bloke who used to walk in front of the Kop just after half time chucking his hat in the air and catching it to loud cheers.

Reminds me of the one in town who used to sing 

"Green Un, Star Papers"

to the tune of Viva Las Vegas.

5 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Steve Woodhead, is he the one who tried to stop unofficial supporters coaches as thought some groups were giving us a bad name by stopping pubs on the way for one or a dozen or so shandys? LOL 

5 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Not a member of staff but always remember a bloke stood outside kop with a "the end of the world is nigh" sign in late 70s early 80s

One of the gang who used to go to the games with us reckoned that guy was was his RE teacher at school, Told us a story about how his car had "Jesus Saves" emblazoned down the sides and on the last day of school someone sprayed underneath "But Chapman scores from the rebound"  Never believed him but who knows.

• Like 1

Charlie Wain.... Wednesday scout during the late 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and possibly the early 90’s.....discovered Sterland, the Shirtcliff brothers, Charlie Williamson, Ticker Taylor , Mark Smith etc.

He used to come to Scilly on holiday and I’d take him fishing every summer. We’d be out in the boat for half a day and he would tell me all sorts of spellbinding stories about my heroes ( and their wives !!)

One year he came up the house for tea and he noticed that I was reseeding the lawn....about a week after he left the islands a package turned up and when I opened it I pulled out a nice big bag of grass seed that he scrounged of the head groundsman !!

Needless to say it was top quality stuff and the lawn came up greener than the one that it replaced.

He’s long gone now but I still think of him when I get the mower out.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1