Bruce motivation and commitment

9 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Also, taking into context that the man has reportedly had to be bribed with 2 Million a year, plus all his own back room staff, to come here.

Has Bruce still got something to prove - or is it one last fat pay day?

What's the going rate for an in demand English manager with 4 Championship promotions on their CV? I'd say 38k a week before tax sounds about right, and there's zero proof/confirmation in the £2m figure bandied around, it could easily be 19k a week with £1m bonus on promotion, Roy Hodgson earned a £1m bonus for keeping Palace up for example, as did Mark Hughes with Southampton after only a couple of months in the job, Paul Lamber failed to earn his £1m avoid relegation bonus!

As I said before, Colin and Roy Hodgson have more passion than a lot of EPL managers combines and they're over 200 years old combined so why's Bruce's passion/desire even being questioned?

9 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

This is the bloke who said Forestieri was the one to watch, when we last played them - not realising he was banned for 3 games.

Yeah that was a weird one, would love to hear the explanation some day! Maybe he was trolling the Villa fans a large number of whom were tossers towards him.

At Sunderland a lot of Sunderland fans never gave him a chance because he's a Geordie, at Villa a lot of Villa fans never gave him a chance because he managed Birmingham for a few years. If any of our fans give him stick because he managed the pigs for a short period 20 years ago all I can say is you're utter twats who deserve nothing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Barmowl said:

Is it just me that is beginning to question the commitment and motivation of a bloke unwilling to get his fat gammon faced multimillionaire arse off his sunbed and finalise his £2 million per year contract.

Doesn’t  come across as keen and hungry. Comes across as “nice top up to my pension if they are stupid enough to pay me”

Ive got a bad feeling about him. Have the agents fleeced DC again?

Talking of Gammon,  the stench of pig is strong here.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Neither, is there in all the faux outrage.

My Father died aged 88 in the Northern General. He’d had dementia for years - it was a relief.

We donated his body to medical research - they came and took the bits they wanted and we had the rest cremated.

Do I think about him everyday, still - yes. But his death didn’t stop me functioning.

It was my Father, he’d been ill, he was 88 and he died. Perfectly natural.

Everybody deals with death and grief differently - why will Bruce having a holiday, make it “all alright”.

He may never get over it.

I hope I’m not being insensitive - but I don’t understand why posters can’t ask about his ambition?

I certainly question his ambition.

Faux outrage..like Occam's razor and binary thinking are just trendy phrases imo.

People seem to think that the enquiry the OP is making could be done in a civilised .. maybe even respectful manner.... but of course you knew that.

I'm glad your loss didn't stop you functioning...nor did my loss, but as you rightly say Reading...we all deal with things differently.. don't we?

If the pathetic excuse we have as mods want to be consistent there is a whole host of posts that need deleting from this thread.

the name calling of the OP goes way beyond what many posters have had deleted previously.

not surprised tho, about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!

re Bruce. when you think FF is the dangerman in a game he is 'banned in' then you know its probably best to have a break!

much rather that than to come here and not be right.

What a sad thread this is. 

Perhaps Wednesday always wanted him to takeover in the new year? Maybe there's still some contractual stuff to sort out? 

OR maybe the guy just wants to enjoy his pre-arranged rare family break before embarking on a new journey. Is there really anything wrong with that in the grand scheme of things?  

If it's true, and he will takeover on the 1st Jan, then that's 11 days after Jos' sacking. Is that really that long to wait? 

Some folk need to get a grip. 

• Like 1

Just now, bigdan2003 said:

What a sad thread this is. 

Perhaps Wednesday always wanted him to takeover in the new year? Maybe there's still some contractual stuff to sort out? 

OR maybe the guy just wants to enjoy his pre-arranged rare family break before embarking on a new journey. Is there really anything wrong with that in the grand scheme of things?  

If it's true, and he will takeover on the 1st Jan, then that's 11 days after Jos' sacking. Is that really that long to wait? 

Some folk need to get a grip. 

Spot on, plus Don Howson said there are still things to iron out before we confirm the appointment. 

Personally im happy to allow our new manager time to recharge his batteries, rather than go for someone else who is available now and not as good in the long term 

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

Those are fair points and, I agree.

But let’s be honest, he’s got slated for questioning Bruce’s motivation. Not, in the main his content.

He dared to question why Bruce needed compassionate leave after this length of time? Most posters think that is an outrageous thing to raise.

It isn’t really - it’s just that they want Bruce at any cost.

Like they did Fletcher and Rhodes.

OK.  Here's a possible scenario. 

After 30 odd years in football playing and managing and therefore not fully enjoying a family Christmas,  Steve Bruce gets sacked in October. Suddenly there's the prospect of a family Christmas for the first time in ages.  So the Bruce family arrange to go away, put football to one side and have some space to think and remember and cope first family without both parents.  Maybe family seems more important in that context. 

Phone call comes in from DC offering Owls job.  SB says to DC,  'Id love it but we have this big family away at Christmas thing planned.  Could I start in the new year.  Family first? '

DC says ' Sure I'm a family orientated man I understand see you in January.  Enjoy'. 

I don't know of course but then neither does the OP. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Faux outrage..like Occam's razor and binary thinking are just trendy phrases imo.

People seem to think that the enquiry the OP is making could be done in a civilised .. maybe even respectful manner.... but of course you knew that.

I'm glad your loss didn't stop you functioning...nor did my loss, but as you rightly say Reading...we all deal with things differently.. don't we?

If he’d asked it in a respectful manner (and he didn’t) - he’d still have got slated and called a Blade.

Ive no idea if he is a Blade - I don’t care really.

But I question Bruce’s motivation.

Choosing a Manager isn’t a science. There are no guarantees.

I hope he’s a success. But nobody is telling me he’s coming here for the right reasons.

Big Club/Sleeping Giant/Something still to prove.

All I know, at the moment, is that he’s being promised a fat pay check for him and his back room staff.

It seems he’s making absolutely no compromise to come here.

Cant blame him for coming can you - Bit like Fletcher.

58 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

OP is the kind of poster that would find somet to moan about it we signed Messi. A classless moron who fortunately doesn’t represent the majority of our fan base. Actually surprised the post hasn’t been taken down by admin. 

These OP's generate responses though don't they. :ph34r:  whisper it quietly   lol 

Just now, ReadingOwl said:

If he’d asked it in a respectful manner (and he didn’t) - he’d still have got slated and called a Blade.

I hope he’s a success. But nobody is telling me he’s coming here for the right reasons.

All I know, at the moment, is that he’s being promised a fat pay check for him and his back room staff.

You don’t think a manager with 4 promotions from the championship is worth paying for?

Lets go down the cheap option again and hire a Luhukay, Luzon, Peeters, Riga. They were cheap and successful right? 

2 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Wow, a late entry for the most unfounded statement made on owlstalk in 2018? 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

OK.  Here's a possible scenario. 

After 30 odd years in football playing and managing and therefore not fully enjoying a family Christmas,  Steve Bruce gets sacked in October. Suddenly there's the prospect of a family Christmas for the first time in ages.  So the Bruce family arrange to go away, put football to one side and have some space to think and remember and cope first family without both parents.  Maybe family seems more important in that context. 

Phone call comes in from DC offering Owls job.  SB says to DC,  'Id love it but we have this big family away at Christmas thing planned.  Could I start in the new year.  Family first? '

DC says ' Sure I'm a family orientated man I understand see you in January.  Enjoy'. 

I don't know of course but then neither does the OP. 

So what you’re saying is “he’s not that keen”?

Or, “I’ll come on my terms” (fantastic ones at that).

If we have to beg him - he’s not for me. So, I’d just wish people would stop making excuses for him.

3 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

No I don't blame him for coming...if he had the misfortune to read the OP.. I wouldn't blame him for changing his mind either.

No tickertape welcome from me... just guarded respect for his achievements and an open(ish) mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

No I don't blame him for coming...if he had the misfortune to read the OP.. I wouldn't blame him for changing his mind either.

No tickertape welcome from me... just guarded respect for his achievements and an open(ish) mind.

Lets hope one of his lauded coaches can pick out which one Forestieri is, at the first training session.

I wouldn’t want it to get awkward.

• Haha 1