Bannan & Forestieri Overrated?

4 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Re. the OP the people who overrate them by far the most are themselves and they need to dig in and do the basics properly as well as just the fancy stuff.

My dad used to call them "luxury players" and there are far too many turning in that type of performance too often in this team.

Watch the United game back 

Bazza was having a mare so he did what good pros do and worked harder ran further and got stuck in more definitely no luxury there 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glenn59 said:

also missing is any form of pattern of play, we have players who seem to make it up on the day, our current way of playing would make Messi look like an overweight 47 year old chain smoking beer head from Darnall

Spot on do you know me lol

49 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Both Bannan and Forestieri in a good team would be different players.

Both struggling now for varying reasons, Bannan being the only player showing for the ball, our only focal point and is overrun with the work he feels he has to do.

Forestieri,  rightly imho, looks pissed off at knowing he's the best player at the club yet spends most of the time on the bench, but I fear it's too late to to get the old FF back, not unless we bring a new manager in to give him a cuddle, he's looking increasing disinterested and if he's not sold/given away in January I'll be very surprised.

This all day long. Those two, Fletcher and sometimes Reach are the only players we have who are capable of playing a passing game. Others are either average at best and/or don't really want the ball. Messi would look s***e in our side at present.

Ooops. Only just seen the reference to Messi above

:picnic:

Edited by Bleeder
Content

21 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

No you havent

All a matter of opinion but team spirit never seemed same afterwards. Think over indulging players been a big reason for our current situation of which giving FF new contract so soon after he refused to play has been apart.

Not looked into the stats but I bet since that Norwich game FF only started a quarter of games since.

A good player but high maintanence and IMO not worth it.

20 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Watch the United game back 

Bazza was having a mare so he did what good pros do and worked harder ran further and got stuck in more definitely no luxury there 

He put a shift in as they all did and concentrated on the basics.

He didn't do the same along with others yesterday though.

1 hour ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I got slatted for saying bannan was overrated 18 month ago

there's a reason he's in the championship at 29 and failed more than once in the premier league.

half decent for this league but there's better midfielders in this league than him

Fully agree

24 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I wonder if fans ( ye rite ) of other clubs going through a rough patch deem it necessary to rush to a forum to slag off their clubs best 2 players 

We'd be a damn sight worse off with Bazza 

Nobody has rushed to slag them.  They have pretty much escaped criticism up until now but they deserve calling out if they put a basic shift in and their ability offers them a bit of a shield from some, like you by the looks.

They are very good Championship players on a fairly regular basis, FF's been injured but BB was poor in key moments yesterday.

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Bannan is struggling this season because of midfielders playing along side him. 

He's missing a fully fit Hutchinson.

Pelupessy is poor and Onohma hasn't got appetite to play game. 

Bannan needs to get and stay further up the pitch and play where he's both most effective and supposed to be.

2 hours ago, 33 said:

Bannan needs to play further up the pitch and not as a 3rd, 4th or 5th CB depending which formation Jos has picked out of his Lucky Bag this week.

To do that it would help if he didn't have a useless foooker like Joey at the side of him each week.

Fernando is our best player and should be starting in either a no 10 or inside forward role every game. He works hard for the team and Bannan is more effective when FF is on the pitch as the opposition can't play such a high line when players like FF or even Joao are on the pitch.

Agree and Bannan is crying out for Hutchinson back in the side as he knows he can trust him and this allows him to get forward. Sadly Pisspussy is glued to his backside and out of position.The fact he is Drosses only signing speaks volumes , totally out of his depth like his manager. 

46 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Nobody has rushed to slag them.  They have pretty much escaped criticism up until now but they deserve calling out if they put a basic shift in and their ability offers them a bit of a shield from some, like you by the looks.

They are very good Championship players on a fairly regular basis, FF's been injured but BB was poor in key moments yesterday.

Worst ive seen bannan play yesterday .least he pits the effort in unlike most

Forestieri was on fire when he came back from injury last year. Game after game he was on fire, this season not so much, OK hardly ever. He's a temperamental player, if he's up for it he's unplayable but it doesn't take much to make him lose that edge. I suspect Jos is trying to get him to play a more controlled game where he has defensive responsibilities and he doesn't like it. He's not a consisted tracker, sometimes he does, others he doesn't which can leave his full back expose.

Realistically FF is a player you have to give a free role to,' just go out and do your stuff'.  Maybe he's a luxury we can't afford at present, I don't mean in financial terms but in footballing terms. 

I still think a different manager might organise the squad in a way to get the best out of FF. 

I have never slagged or even rushed to slag Bannan off.. On the contrary, I have much appreciated SOME of his play . However, I have considered his deification on this site has been often over the top. He has many good points, and I believe we should struggle to replace him. However,he is no Lionel Messi. One annoying point is his habit of dropping back to defence, as expected, but then when the defence breaks, and a pass is played out to him, he invariably passes it back immediately, not only misusing a pass but slowing down the change from defence to attack.

Another is his appalling shooting. This is akin to JJohnson's .I regularly watch the players doing shooting practice before the game, and he is  regularly well off target, seldom near the target. I think he is much better playing further forward, but needs to work on his shooting.

As for FF, I think it is obvious that, since the Norwich episode that injuries aside, his heart has not been in most games. Shame. On his day, he's a match-winner, others he's a liability. 

Think problem with both is we are not playing them in the way they should be or to the tactics/ formation we should play them in 

both are more offensive than defensive 

they’d be better playing in our back four 

ironically at times bannan is further back than our centre backs at times 

Bannan and Forestieri are our best players by a country mile and a good manager would have them both playing in a way that utilises their abilities. I feel for them both.

Instead Bannan is expected to do everything. Defend and be our only creative outlet. Pelupessy isn't good enough to sit back and allow Bannan to play further forward.

Forestieri is on the bench and then is expected to set the world alight as a supersub, as opposed to just being able to play his game for 90 minutes. I'm happy to back track this statement if he's not fully fit but I get the impression Jos would start him on the bench every week anyway.

I agree neither should be immune from criticism but they are absolutely not the issue at the moment.

Edited by nickswfc

7 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Bannan and Forestieri are our best players by a country mile and a good manager would have them both playing in a way that utilises their abilities. I feel for them both.

Instead Bannan is expected to do everything. Defend and be our only creative outlet. Pelupessy isn't good enough to sit back and allow Bannan to play further forward.

Forestieri is on the bench and then is expected to set the world alight as a supersub, as opposed to just being able to play his game for 90 minutes. I'm happy to back track this statement if he's not fully fit but I get the impression Jos would start him on the bench every week anyway.

I agree neither should be immune from criticism but they are absolutely not the issue at the moment.

Thy are not the main issue I 100% agree, and I never said they were. However, when you are in a position like us I don't think it's unfair to expect your best players to produce something. Neither really look like doing that.

I take your point about FF being on the bench every game and I disagree with that as well, however, when he comes on, for example yesterday he never really changes the game.

9 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Also, Reach is still managing to perform the occasional miracle in this poor team, yet neither Bannan or FF ever look like doing so.

3 hours ago, wawawuto said:

Vote this down all you want, but this is just my opinion.

Bannan's set pieces really are terrible. A majority of his corners fail to clear the first man. Those little chipped crosses from central pieces do my head in, he tries to chip it over defenders heads from the edge of the box, when surely a better option would be to keep it on the floor. I love his workrate, however only this season have I noticed how he seems to rip into his team-mates. The Norwich game for example, when we conceded, he ran over to Pudil and in front of 25,000 people had his finger in his face, shouting at him. Appalling if you ask me.

Forestieri. On his day, in the top 5 players in the league. But in the last 12 months, how many times have we seen him on his day? Not many. Does seem to go missing way more now than he did in his first season. Add to that his very poor injury record (think it was less than 1/3 of games he has started in his time here), I honestly believe he is also overrated these days. I appreciate he isn't starting at the minute and I disagree with that, but he is hardly demanding a regular starting place. 

Both excellent players on their day. But we rarely see their best.

think they appear to have had enough of the manager like most of the team and fans,just don't look interested