Sam Winnall - Setback

1 hour ago, bigdan2003 said:

I'm no physio, but aren't the risks of tweaking something else higher when players have been out of action for so long?

Not every foo.kin last one of em though 

Edited by Watto
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Definitely seems to me that this has all happened since the switch to Desso, weirdly enough. Or am I just misremembering? Could be.

Plus I know that’s unlikely to be a major factor for the younger lads, not to mention a bizarre number of our injuries seem to happen outside of match days - but still, in my mind it does seem like the Desso was one of the first big changes of the DC era, and since then we’ve barely been able to field our ideal XI once in four years. Mental.

If it's Desso how come out neighbours at S2 seem to cope just fine on the same surface , Saturday saw them unchanged for the fifth consecutive game.k

We didn’t have so many injuries in the first season under Carlos, when we were often on the front foot. In season’s 2 and 3, and now under Jos, we seem to have a more tentative approach. Could there be something in that. Don’t know how much of it was an old wives tale, but they used to say, you were more likely to get hurt by holding back

2 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

I'm no physio, but aren't the risks of tweaking something else higher when players have been out of action for so long?

Exactly, unfortunate but often happens, particularly to our players. Hopefully he'll be back in a couple of weeks.

21 minutes ago, Watto said:

If it's Desso how come out neighbours at S2 seem to cope just fine on the same surface , Saturday saw them unchanged for the fifth consecutive game.k

I’m not really suggesting it is, don’t know much about it if I’m honest - it just strikes me as an odd coincidence looking back. I do think I remember reading, though, that no two Dessos are identical...aren’t they all made with varying amounts of sand and other additives and drainage materials, depending on existing substrate and soil quality? I don’t think there’s any reason to assume ours will be the same exact surface as one across town.

But yeah I full admit it’s absolutely pure speculation, and not even really that tbh - I’m just struggling to remember anything like as bad an injury scene as this in the 20 years previous, and it seemed to coincide very neatly. Probably a total fluke, mind.

Edited by Mr. Tom

17 minutes ago, Watto said:

It's probably because they have superior training facilities to ours, rather than the playing pitch.

McCabe invested in infrastructure, at a time when we didn't have a penny to scratch our bottoms with.

Turner blamed the training pitch, and it's the best part of 20 years since he was in charge.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Athelwulf said:

It's probably because they have superior training facilities to ours, rather than the playing pitch.

McCabe invested in infrastructure, at a time when we didn't have a penny to scratch our bottoms with.

Turner blamed the training pitch, and it's the best part of 20 years since he was in charge.

Interesting, didn’t know that about Turner’s era

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I’m not really suggesting it is, don’t know much about it if I’m honest - it just strikes me as an odd coincidence looking back. I do think I remember reading, though, that no two Dessos are identical...aren’t they all made with varying amounts of sand and other additives and drainage materials, depending on existing substrate and soil quality? I don’t think there’s any reason to assume ours will be the same exact surface as one across town.

But yeah I full admit it’s absolutely pure speculation, and not even really that tbh - I’m just struggling to remember anything like as bad an injury scene as this in the 20 years previous, and it seemed to coincide very neatly. Probably a total fluke, mind.

Bearing in mind where our pitch is located, next to the river and with a water table which must rise rapidly in wet weather, I think it's inevitable that our "underlay" will be different to that of United.

2 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

Perhaps but surely you’ll do sufficient training etc to make sure your body’s ready, before you even think about stepping out for the U23s? Like practice matches in training which are played at the same velocity

sounds like another excuse to me, to add to the extensive list 

Edited by FreshOwl

27 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Definitely carlos to blame he was back Friday in the treatment room meddling I heard 

The problem under Carlito was that the training wasn't up to scratch, especially in pre-season.

If you go into a season in relatively poor physical condition, then injuries are more likely to be sustained thereafter.

I remember the physical state of the team in that pre-season friendly against Rangers for instance.

Carlos believed that a player couldn't play 2 games in a week, hence the inordinate number of players amassed in certain areas.

That, instead of a smaller, fitter squad likely to have more cohesion, camaraderie ... and one less prone to injury.

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Can't we hack off the good limbs from the players and create the ultimate player?

doubt if we could cobble 1 fit player  even then  

something is terribly wrong  other teams get players back with the fabled  "  *******  has had a set back out for another year " headline 

10 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Perhaps but surely you’ll do sufficient training etc to make sure your body’s ready, before you even think about stepping out for the U23s?

I'm sure that's what they did with him, but i guess its not an exact science. 

Also, is the injury as a direct result of poor condition of a player OR is it an impact injury? or was it because he pushed himself too hard or something - over stretched or something like that?

Edited by bigdan2003

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

This is a joke Whatever we did to remedy the injury situation when Carlos left, clearly hasn’t worked The situation is just as bad under Jos

Only to be expected after a long lay off, little niggles, iI don’t think you  can say we have done anything wrong or blame people here, at least now Jos makes sure they are fit before bringing people back in 

In the particular case of Hooper, what's happened isn't so surprising.

He's the type of player, because of his physiology, who's going to lose form very quickly.

Short stocky players often do, eg Rooney.

But he usually played when fit, so it was less obvious in his case.

Basically we've had too many players who've not played often enough; the exact opposite of what's happening over the road.

In their case financial constraints mean that there's no choice.

3 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I'm sure that's what they did with him, but i guess its not an exact science. 

Also, is the injury as a direct result of poor condition of a player OR is it an impact injury? or was it because he pushed himself too hard or something - over stretched or something like that?

Exactly there are that many variables which could affect a player coming back from injury.  The most innocuous event could have a major impact on an injury. Difficult for the medical team to announce that a player is now fit with 100% confidence.