If they scrap parachute payments

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Let’s say parachute payments were scrapped starting now

lets imagine (bear with me and go with this) that we amazingly start smashing goals in and winning games this season and end up promoted

all that would happen to us (and any other promoted sides) is that they’d not sigjn anyone or give increased wages etc (meaning our top players would leave) because if we got relegated as would have an immediate FFP crisis and/or bankruptcy 

scrapping parachute payments isn’t as straight forward as we might think it is

Look at when we got relegated from the premier league last time and had all those big contracts and players we couldn’t shift 

Firesale 

Guest Willow Owl

Parachute payments should be for managing the debts and not as a free cash pot. 

Say for instance they sell a player for 15 million, that should be removed from the parachute money as they no longer have to manage that players wages. How can you be expected to compete when Stoke have spent 40million in just over 2 months. Will probably be reasons why it cant happen but just shows the disparity. 

I believe KM mentioned at the forum that a lot of championship clubs had asked for change but needed 18 clubs to enforce discussions. These clubs who can prove they have the funds want to be allowed to spend and compete against parachute payments. 

3 coming down would not vote, the 3 from previous years wouldnt either as they currently have a clear advantage. Clubs nearer the bottom also voted against as they would be unable to compete. 

With the new penalties, i believe you will get less clubs thinking sod FFP and spending no matter what. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

lets imagine (bear with me and go with this) that we amazingly start smashing goals in and winning games this season and end up promoted

all that would happen to us (and any other promoted sides) is that they’d not sigjn anyone or give increased wages etc (meaning our top players would leave) because if we got relegated as would have an immediate FFP crisis and/or bankruptcy 

Look at when we got relegated from the premier league last time and had all those big contracts and players we couldn’t shift 

Not really thought it through have you the Guaranteed £165m would sort of ease Bankruptcy fears 

Parachute Payments have well outlived their purpose Villa for example spent £76m in their first season down £35m of which was Parachute Payments 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Same same

Look at it when we didn't get promoted to the premier league and had all those big contracts and players we couldn't shift.

Parachute payments should be scrapped, each and every club would have to cut their cloth accordingly.

It's nothing more than a cartel at the mo...and bent.

I can see logic of parachute payments but you have to ensure teams are able to compete with relegated teams.

Think you have to allow owners to be able to put funds into club on a similar level to parachute payments received by clubs, this would make it more of a level playing field.

When a team is promoted back to Premier League before parachute payments run out the unused funds should be distributed amongst other Championship teams I understand currently paid ito charity.

I think people are freaking out about parachute payments whilst at the same time having absolutely no knowledge of the true situation

Before ranting anymore in this thread go have a look how many teams per season are promoted back to the Premier League the season after being relegated down to the Championship

Clue - it's simply not the case that those recieving parachute payments just use the money and get promoted again

Owlstalk Shop

It wouldn't happen overnight tho - clubs would have a few years to adjust, plan, put relegation clauses in new/renewed contracts.

It's the reward for failure aspect of it that sticks in the throat imo.  I'd happily see newly promoted clubs get a big wedge of cash as a reward so they'd be able to strengthen that summer ready for the Premiership but it would distort the Championship much less.  They'd need to plan ahead for if/when they go back down which is what FFP/P&S is supposed to enforce, if they don't it'd be their own fault (as it was ours), and they'd go the Sunderland route.

3 hours ago, Jwowl said:

Make it compulsory that all premier league contracts have a clause that wages are reduced by a set % if relegated?

I agree with this, the only problem is it will make it harder for the lower/newly promoted sides to sign the better players as they won’t want to lose wages if they’re relegated.

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Clue - it's simply not the case that those recieving parachute payments just use the money and get promoted again

That's probably true, what possible advantage can + £100M make over a club such as ours.

They've overreached, spent more than they should they should be under an embongo...not rewarded:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, davethemagicweasel said:

It's the reward for failure aspect of it that sticks in the throat imo

Who's getting rewarded for failure though?

Whoever titled it that and spread it around has won by the looks of it but I can't see what the true definition of it is

There doesn't seem to be any evidence

The vast majority of relegated teams receiving parachute payment's do NOT get promoted straight after as a result of having that cash

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

they're not going to scrap parachute payments, relegation from the premier very, very nearly destroyed this club, it is still staggering from the following events of that vicious blow.

sky don't want to be identified with that lot being swept out from under the carpet.

how many sides that were relegated without parachute money didn't go into receivership other than us? 

when a side are promoted to the premier then players should get an immediate pay rise of (let's say) 60% across the board, when relegated they should get a 60% reduction in salary. if you don't like the 60% reduction, or think you're better than championship football then request a transfer.

with an fa/sky 'slush fund' ready to reimburse 50% of the losses made by clubs having to sell their 'stars' on the cheap because they want out.

4 hours ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

Wage cap is required. No more than 80% of turnover can go on wages. Will bring down the stupid transfer fees and reduce players out of control wages to a manageable level. 

100% agree...no player is worthy of more than £50k per week!! It would make it a level playing field for all teams.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Clubs are spending 100% to 200% of their income to try and get promoted so money they make in the Premier League will be used up on that too

Fulham have spent £100m this summer, that is their entire Sky fee, hope the get relegated.

Players contracts should be worded so that a player on £x a week only gets one third X in the event of relegation.  Of course the player would want away if his wage dropped.  So problem solved.  

If we could have got rid of Hinchcliffe, De Bilde, Walker etc in 2000 we would never have got into the mess we did. 

Parachute payments wouldn't be necessary.  

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The simple answer is when you sign players upon promotion to the premier you install a clause that says if you are relegated they go down to championship wages . That covers the club against crippling debts open relegation. 

Just now, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Nothing wrong with parachute payments.

Problems start when clubs use a parachute as a trampoline.

Again let me just point out that this doesn't really happen

How many clubs have been relegated with parachute payments and how many have trampolined straight back up?

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How many clubs have been relegated with parachute payments and how many have trampolined straight back up?

Newcastle in 2016/17 season are one example but i can name two or three teams that have had Parachute Payments that haven't. Hull,Norwich,Blackpool

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's  my point. Clubs use the money to try and bounce straight back, fail and then the problems start.