If they scrap parachute payments

Let’s say parachute payments were scrapped starting now

lets imagine (bear with me and go with this) that we amazingly start smashing goals in and winning games this season and end up promoted

all that would happen to us (and any other promoted sides) is that they’d not sigjn anyone or give increased wages etc (meaning our top players would leave) because if we got relegated as would have an immediate FFP crisis and/or bankruptcy 

scrapping parachute payments isn’t as straight forward as we might think it is

Look at when we got relegated from the premier league last time and had all those big contracts and players we couldn’t shift 

Owlstalk Shop

Make it compulsory that all premier league contracts have a clause that wages are reduced by a set % if relegated?

allow owners to spend what they want as long as none of the money is adding debt to the club - must be gifted?

not sure there’s a simple answer - what can’t be right is that upto 9 teams in the championship can have millions more and others aren’t allowed to compete due to ffp regulations 

2 minutes ago, Hawkinsfootballboots said:

Wage cap is required. No more than 80% of turnover can go on wages. Will bring down the stupid transfer fees and reduce players out of control wages to a manageable level. 

This 100%. 

I mentioned this the other day. 91% of Bournemouths income is from the tv money, £124million. If a club can't put some of that by for the future, along with relegation clauses and player sales then they are in a mess. The problem is the massive gap in income between the prem and efl. If it wasn't so huge you wouldn't need parachute payments. Don't need them now imo. That money should feed down the leagues.

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lets imagine (bear with me and go with this) that we amazingly start smashing goals in and winning games this season and end up promoted

all that would happen to us (and any other promoted sides) is that they’d not sigjn anyone or give increased wages etc (meaning our top players would leave) because if we got relegated as would have an immediate FFP crisis and/or bankruptcy 

Look at when we got relegated from the premier league last time and had all those big contracts and players we couldn’t shift 

Run your club correctly 

Doesn’t matter if you get parachute payments or not 

3 minutes ago, mike312 said:

I mentioned this the other day. 91% of Bournemouths income is from the tv money, £124million. If a club can't put some of that by for the future, along with relegation clauses and player sales then they are in a mess. 

Clubs are spending 100% to 200% of their income to try and get promoted so money they make in the Premier League will be used up on that too

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Clubs are spending 100% to 200% of their income to try and get promoted so money they make in the Premier League will be used up on that too

True. The whole premier league money thing I find is altering the game in so many ways and not many of them good.

Whos said they should scrap parachute payments? 

It's not getting them that the problem. Its the fact they get used for a competitive advance rather than covering the existing wage bill that's the problem. 

Just now, alanharper said:

Where's the "financial fair play" when 3 teams come down with a wad of free cash which is more than the other clubs in the league are allowed to lose in 3 years?

Scrap parachute payments,  or scrap FFP because they contradict each other. 

There should just be rules on what the parachute payment can be used for I.e. 

Protecting the clubs loss of premier league earnings rather than free money to get a competitive advantage 

1 minute ago, poite said:

There should just be rules on what the parachute payment can be used for I.e. 

Protecting the clubs loss of premier league earnings rather than free money to get a competitive advantage 

Absolutely.  The whole point of them was so that PL wages could be covered (they came in too late to help us), yet these days relegated clubs just sell a couple of players for tens of millions and use the £40m free parachute payment as a bonus transfer kitty.

Scrap them, or vastly reduce them, and implement a rule where relegation wage reduction clauses are compulsory.  

The basic principles of FFP and parachute payments are admirable. One is there to stop owners pumping s much money into a club that they effectively buy promotion and the other is to give relegated Premiership clubs a cushion to enable them to readjust to the lower income outside the top flight.

So much for the high ideals, in practice both have become a means to make the Premiership a closed shop of 25/26 club. If you get relegated parachute payments let you buy enough talent to get promotion unless the club is extremely badly run or has serious internal issues (think Sunderland). FFP stops owners spending enough to compete with parachute payment clubs so the Premiership is protected. Why would Premiership clubs vote to end parachute payments, it's not in their interests, turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

The EFL hasn't got the power of the Premiership, what does it say about an organisation when it's members try desperately to leave it, when they would spend a fortune to get out of it.

Things won't change. The die was cast when the Premiership split from the rest of the league. We can all wish for change, we can put forward as many ideas and plans as we can think of but it isn't going to change.

That's all a bit negative for a Sunday morning so on a positive note I might find my way to the pub for dinner.

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Neil

its a really good point and just emphasises that football has become engulfed in all consuming greed

if clubs can’t afford it they shouldn’t pay in the first place and wages need to be drastically reduced 

71.6 m for a keeper and ridiculous prices for average players at premier level don’t help 

TV companies players and agents now run football and the fans continually get fleeced 

This is why we are seeing half filled grounds including the 23416 yesterday although poor ownership doesn’t help 

Quite depressing really