If they scrap parachute payments

Dj5qv-KX4AE_ol7.jpg

The huge increase in the Premier League TV deal (with clubs receiving £95m to £150m in 2016/17) helps explain why so many Championship clubs “go for it”, as the rewards for promotion are so high. However, it’s still a risky gamble, as seen by Villa’s recent problems.

Owlstalk Shop

Dj5qwjtXgAAaTSB.jpg

Newcastle United match day revenue of £23m was more than twice as much as the next highest in the Championship (#AVFC £11m, #BHAFC £11m and #LUFC £10m) and was in fact above all but 7 Premier League clubs.

Half the clubs earned less than £5m from this revenue stream.

Owlstalk Shop

Dj5qzIzWsAIWyfq.jpg

Over half of the Championship clubs pay more in wages than they earn, with the highest (worst) wages to turnover ratios at #Rovers 147%, #HTA 138% (impacted by promotion bonus) & #NFFC 137%. The best ratio was #LUFC 61%, though this is arguably evidence of inadequate investment.

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

I count 21 clubs in that list. Clearly a large statistical advantage to the just relegated teams. Chance of promotion every year for the average Championship team is 1 in 8. In that list, closer to 1 in 3. Of course, it isn't necessarily attributable to relegation payments, as the advantage existed back in the 1990s as well. 

He is of course forgetting they have a couple of years to get back, not just 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

21 teams out of how many relegated though?

Plus of course you'd also expect recently relegated Premier League teams to have a far stronger squad so there's a real strength to their players regardless of parachute payments being awarded to them

So is that 21 out of 78. Better than 1 in 4. For the remainder, working quickly, that would be something like 57 promotions out of about 546 opportunities, closer to 1 in 10.

Still, I take the point that it is not necessarily the extra money that creates the advantage.

My sense of the way that money works is that you need money to win, but having money doesn't mean you will win. Easy to lose a lot of money with no advantage by spending it stupid, which many clubs do. I wont cite a recent example close to home in the spirit of positivity.

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

He is of course forgetting they have a couple of years to get back, not just 1

I can get the stats on that too if you want  mate

ps - I'm not being a nobber - I'm just trying to show people that they're being overly worrysome over parachute payments

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

ps - I'm not being a nobber - I'm just trying to show people that they're being overly worrysome over parachute payments

I missed exactly what the list was--i thought is was immediate bounce back.

I am not disagreeing with your main point. I agree that the parachute payment effect is over-rated. I would just like to know precisely what it is to advance the discussion.

Just now, Hamakua Pueo said:

I missed exactly what the list was--i thought is was immediate bounce back.

I am not disagreeing with your main point. I agree that the parachute payment effect is over-rated. I would just like to know precisely what it is to advance the discussion.

Same

I read it the other day as someone published the full stats - will try and find em

:rolleyes:

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Yes you are mate, its bent..

Clubs coming down have a massive advantage over existing champ clubs. As our recent embongo shows. Rewarded for failure, penalised for ambition springs to mind.

Pointless rambling on, i will agree to disagree, thats all

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody can say I didn't try in this thread

Now you can all go back to just ranting about parachute payments meaning we're embargoed or summat because you've heard someone else shouting it somewhere

*bangs head on desk*

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/premier-league-parachute-payments-exclusive-study-football-league-finance-money-a8255976.html

Yep

That's where this paragraph comes from

Sunderland, Hull City and Middlesbrough all received at least £40m without kicking a ball this season, compensation from those on high for failing to maintain their place in the richest league on earth.

Regardless of whether they go down this season, Sunderland will get £25m next season and £20m for the following campaign – riches beyond the wildest dreams of their potential opponents in English football’s generally impoverished third tier. 

Anyone wanna tell me how those three clubs are doing?

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yep

That's where this paragraph comes from

Sunderland, Hull City and Middlesbrough all received at least £40m without kicking a ball this season, compensation from those on high for failing to maintain their place in the richest league on earth.

Regardless of whether they go down this season, Sunderland will get £25m next season and £20m for the following campaign – riches beyond the wildest dreams of their potential opponents in English football’s generally impoverished third tier. 

Anyone wanna tell me how those three clubs are doing?

Not quite with you on that one, after all only a couple of games played. But if you want, I'll bet you £100 sunderland are promoted. You forgot to cherry pick the stats that show complete opposite of what you have been preaching..maybe just an oversite:CEO:

Not quite with you on that one, after all only a couple of games played. But if you want, I'll bet you £100 sunderland are promoted. You forgot to cherry pick the stats that show complete opposite of what you have been preaching..maybe just an oversite:CEO:

Damn

My pesky tactics are foiled again

lol

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Look at when we got relegated from the premier league last time and had all those big contracts and players we couldn’t shift 

I think that’s not quite right. We had players on contracts that meant they could leave for free if we got relegated. It meant 10 out of our first 11 players left for no money.

It was our chairman’s fault for signing players on poor contracts.

My problem with parachute payments is that I deplore how it helps relegated teams over ours... but I’d love us to be in the position of having parachute payments and take advantage of something we didn’t have last time round!