If they scrap parachute payments

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Still had parachute money though right?

Yes but the parachute money was irrelevant to them not going up, they would just have fallen further without it, although Blackpool's fall was pretty severe...

Just now, Lawrie Madden said:

Did Newcastle spend £112m getting straight back up ? published figures by the way 

Was £35m of that not parachute payment ?

Or was it all down to that well known philanthropist Mike Ashley ?

Jesus

Ok let's try it ANOTHER way

QUESTION - How many clubs have received parachute payments since they came into being?
QUESTION 2 - How many of those receiving parachute payments have bounced back to the Premier League?

Owlstalk Shop

If the problem that relegation payments are trying to solve is handling the out-sized contracts that relegated teams are frequently saddled with, can't the money currently given to relegated clubs be assigned instead to a kind of insurance pool that takes contracts off the hands of relegated clubs?

In other words, the relegated clubs can walk away from contracts they cant afford, within specified limits, but the players' wages are guaranteed out of the relegation fund pool. Then an entity is created to mitigate the losses by reselling the contracts to other teams, with a wage subsidy from the relegation pool. The buying club gets the player not the relegated club, so the player still gets the promised wages.

Frequently the problem for relegated clubs is that their playing staff are over-priced older or injured players, and no other club with take the player off their hands, Wednesday currently knows a thing or two about that situation, even without suffering relegation. A relegation "insurance" scheme would address that problem, but without giving a pool of money to the relegated club to rearm.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

How is it if it doesn't lead to promotion for those who recieve it?

lol

Someone help me out here

This is utter madness now

ha ha ha

Show me where I said it leads to promotion...oh and btw 100M is a new thing. I said it was unfair, we are foooked, them that come down are not

Is that really so hard to understand?

2 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I said it was unfair, we are foooked, them that come down are not

We're not fooked because we havent' got parachute money tho

Not at all

lol

When Chansiri came in he immediately made us totally debt free (those with parachute payments - are they debt free?) 

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Jesus

Ok let's try it ANOTHER way

QUESTION - How many clubs have received parachute payments since they came into being?
QUESTION 2 - How many of those receiving parachute payments have bounced back to the Premier League?

question How many clubs have received parachute payments under the current deal ?

question How many have bounced straight back  ?

I reckon 3 ( plus 3 the current season )

and 1 

3 to1 chance of bouncing straight back is a significant advantage 

3 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

If the problem that relegation payments are trying to solve is handling the out-sized contracts that relegated teams are frequently saddled with, can't the money currently given to relegated clubs be assigned instead to a kind of insurance pool that takes contracts off the hands of relegated clubs?

Potentially yes

But if clubs come down, get parachute payments and do other things with the money and don't get promoted then what's it really matter?

Owlstalk Shop

Here's three examples for you

Middlesbrough, Hull City and Sunderland – the three relegated teams of the PL 2017-18 took home £40m in compensation for relegation. In fact, Sunderland made almost £100 million from TV revenue and merit payments. Middlesbrough got £102 million and Hull earned £104 million.

All that advantage they've got over us eh

Anyone wanna explain that to Sunderland fans as they play Burton Albion and Fleetwood Town this season?

Anyone posting after this post that clubs get unfair advantage I swear I'm gonna throw poo at you

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Potentially yes

But if clubs come down, get parachute payments and do other things with the money and don't get promoted then what's it really matter?

I want to see the statistics that have been asked for that show that there isn't a statistical advantage for the relegated clubs with the payments. Subjectively it seems that there is. Has someone worked it out yet?

2 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

I want to see the statistics that have been asked for that show that there isn't a statistical advantage for the relegated clubs with the payments. Subjectively it seems that there is. Has someone worked it out yet?

Teams that achieved immediate return to PL

Crystal Palace 1992–93
Nottingham Forest 1992–93
Leicester 1994–95
Bolton 1995–96
Middlesbrough 1996–97
Nottingham Forest 1996–97
Charlton 1998–99
Manchester City 2000–01
Leicester 2001–02
West Brom 2002–03
Birmingham 2005–06
Sunderland 2005–06
Birmingham 2007–08
Newcastle 2008–09
West Brom 2008–09
West Ham 2010–11
QPR 2012–13
Norwich 2013–14
Hull 2014–15
Burnley 2014–15
Newcastle 2015–16

Owlstalk Shop

I count 21 clubs in that list. Clearly a large statistical advantage to the just relegated teams. Chance of promotion every year for the average Championship team is 1 in 8. In that list, closer to 1 in 3. Of course, it isn't necessarily attributable to relegation payments, as the advantage existed back in the 1990s as well. 

Just now, Hamakua Pueo said:

I count 21 clubs in that list. Clearly a large statistical advantage to the just relegated teams. Chance of promotion every year for the average Championship team is 1 in 8. In that list, closer to 1 in 3. Of course, it isn't necessarily attributable to relegation payments, as the advantage existed back in the 1990s as well. 

21 teams out of how many relegated though?

Plus of course you'd also expect recently relegated Premier League teams to have a far stronger squad so there's a real strength to their players regardless of parachute payments being awarded to them

Owlstalk Shop