Is everyone hooked on the England team now?

3 hours ago, sharrowowl said:

I'm loving this England team we seem to have the ability to open mediocre teams up at will with free kicks and penalties. 

My only concern is this: If kane does not score then England does not score.

Has any one been to the Foreign country ENGERLAND?.

I love the World Cup for all its multicultural sparkle and the big ‘world party’ vibe - love the humour, the drama, the sights and the sounds; all the stories about players’ journeys to national level from rich and poor backgrounds across the globe; the little insights into routines and rituals of devoted footy fans on continents I may never get to visit; the newspaper interviews about diaspora families, friends and communities gathering to watch it on a new build estate 2,000 miles from home; the cultural influence of the host nation which you can always sense in the background of it all; the way it seems to put a long hot summer on pause and give us all an extra month of sunshine and barbecues. Love all of it.

The actual football itself? Eh, it’s fun, but for me it always lacks a bit of crunch somehow. I get into it, but not with anything like the same level of blood up. Rather watch Wednesday any day.

:luhukay:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuntItLikeDielna said:

I'm not usually too bothered about England because we're usually the ultimate bottlejobs, but Southgate and his team have got everyone back on their side, and I've been watching the last few games as if they were Wednesday matches, not just another game

Funnily, one of the reasons that I got back into the England thing was because I saw videos of Southgate on the internet leading the Barmy Army chanting in the cricket. My first reaction was feck me, he's just like one of the lads which made me like him even more, not some overpaid egomaniac or no boring bleeder like Fat Sam.

lol

2 hours ago, steveger said:

People getting enjoyment from a football team winning?

Who'd have thought it ?

Can't understand why anyone of English birth would be unhappy or miserable about it TBH, some people need to lighten up and enjoy the moment whilst it lasts.... and get behind their country

I think the people who constantly slagged their national team and said wouldn't watch them etc deserve a bit of stick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Supporting England is like the classic fair weather fans for years you cannot stand them or bear to watch them, then they win a few games and they are world beater and they are gonna win everything.

The one positive of any national team doing well is the positive impact they have on the country and its people.

If we go all the way and beat Russia in the semi on the way to the final though, they may declare war on us :duntmatter:

50 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I think the people who constantly slagged their national team and said wouldn't watch them etc deserve a bit of stick.

Same with Wednesday

''I'm never going while he's in charge . . .Charge too much . . it's boring and negative etc etc''

2 months later

''What? we are in the play offs??  - all Wednesday aren't we!''

31 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I think its great .. i'd prefer people getting on board and supporting England when we are doing well .. its the national team, everyone should be supporting England ..

fúcking love tournament football though .. good god its immense!

Exactly  

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

seems like it , there even  on about having a break in all the cricket games in the south yorks senior  league 

My game in Bassetlaw league has been reduced from 46 overs a side to 20/20. 

A nice 30 all out would be lovely. 

I had 50 quid on Colombia on penalties at 10/1

As that prospect grew more likely, the thought of collecting made me really queasy. It felt really wrong.

I don’t think I’ll do that again.

I didn’t pay any attention to the qualifiers and have no idea who was in our group yet I’m fully on board with the tournament. If we beat Brazil 4-3 in the final I’ll still not be paying much attention until the next tournament. So what?

58 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I don’t think I’ll ever be hooked.

But I like the passion, the togetherness, and I’m hugely impressed with the manager as a man.

I've found his bearing in interviews really impressive too.

In particular I've been struck by his apparently very instinctive knack with the trickier mental aspects of football, and how to steer others around and through them.

A really good influence, by the looks of things.

5 hours ago, MartinOwlMan said:

I'm really not that bothered. I do want England to win their games, but only because there are no Wednesday players in the other teams. 

So if Lucas João played for Portugal against England, you'd have wanted Portugal to win?

Each to their own, but that is proper mental.

3 hours ago, owlinexile said:

We've had two weeks of glorious sunshine.  Ladies are out and about wearing summer dresses. We've had one of the most entertaining world cups in living memory and England, against all expectations, are still in it.

If you are incapable of chilling the fizz out and enjoying yourself at the moment, i'd question the point of watching football at all...

Or being alive .... boring idiots . This summer is amazing , beautiful weather and a great World Cup . 

‘Id rather Wednesday win’ ‘ I don’t really care if england get through’ bore off and enjoy it ! 

WC is a football fest, England doing well is a bonus

although we are mediocre, ironically never have a better

chance of making it to a final.

However think we will struggle to beat Sweden, hopefully

we will progress.

My money is on France to win tournament.

33 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I had 50 quid on Colombia on penalties at 10/1

As that prospect grew more likely, the thought of collecting made me really queasy. It felt really wrong.

I don’t think I’ll do that again.

I had a tenner but only got 9's lol

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Definitely 100% into it. For those who didn't witness 1966, all I'd say is that if we could somehow do it again it would be something they'd never forget.