Is everyone hooked on the England team now?

2 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yeah but they definitely care about their country even if they don’t about football.

Are you telling me that there aren’t people in this country that don’t find the idea of patriotism repugnant ?

Oh and whilst you’re taking the pee out of 1966 remember we didn’t need to have 16 pints and be coked off our heads to enjoy the game in those days

No, I’m not telling you that (otherwise that’s what I would have said). Basically I’m saying that the only one talking about patriotism being repugnant during this world seems to be you and that you’re massively exaggerating both how much other countries care and how amazing the celebrations were in 1966. I’m sure we could at least muster a parade this time.

5 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yeah but they definitely care about their country even if they don’t about football.

Are you telling me that there aren’t people in this country that don’t find the idea of patriotism repugnant ?

Oh and whilst you’re taking the pee out of 1966 remember we didn’t need to have 16 pints and be coked off our heads to enjoy the game in those days

Also, nice to know how you get your kicks on match day but I enjoy it fine without the coke and 26 pints cheers.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Everything was great but now it’s rubbish and better in other countries... remind me again who’s being unpatriotic?

Some Momentum style thinking here.

How to twist a post and turn it on it’s head.

Well done.

Incidentally you need to find something better to do. Multiple consecutive posts reflect badly on you

Just now, Ibbo48 said:

Some Momentum style thinking here.

How to twist a post and turn it on it’s head.

Well done.

Incidentally you need to find something better to do. Multiple consecutive posts reflect badly on you

You carry on hating on the country, I’ll enjoy the football.

I watch England qualifiers but not that bothered about the friendlies. I put them on but it's more of a background thing.

As for the World Cup, and Euro's for that matter, I watch as many matches as I can. I am a fan of football. I don't understand people who don't watch the PL because of SKY and all the money involved but then that is their choice.

As for England I wasn't expecting much and have been pleasantly surprised. It appears we have a system and pick players to fit that system. Instead of the whole routine of picking a system and then trying to shoehorn the supposed best player in to that system whether it suits them or not.

Are there bandwagon jumpers? Of course but it's nice. It's a bit like Xmas when, for a small amount of time, most people are nice to each other and get along.

Will we win it? Doubt it but as long as we are still in the tournament and just like I do at the start of every season before kick off in our first match I will sit/stand there thinking.

This is our year

7 hours ago, sharrowowl said:

It doesn't help having a national anthem which is basically Idol worship of the queen rather than any affectionate hymn to the English nation.  Right there before kick off you've alienated anyone who doesn't worship the queen and/or god.

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you've come from but i suppose decades of hooliganism overseas has tainted the willingness of many to get the cross of St George out.

Hopefully that's behind us now though and we can build a new sense of nationality not based on imperialism and any warped sense of superiority. 

Making Jerusalem the national anthem would be a good start.

The Queen is awesome.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

I watch England qualifiers but not that bothered about the friendlies. I put them on but it's more of a background thing.

As for the World Cup, and Euro's for that matter, I watch as many matches as I can. I am a fan of football. I don't understand people who don't watch the PL because of SKY and all the money involved but then that is their choice.

As for England I wasn't expecting much and have been pleasantly surprised. It appears we have a system and pick players to fit that system. Instead of the whole routine of picking a system and then trying to shoehorn the supposed best player in to that system whether it suits them or not.

Are there bandwagon jumpers? Of course but it's nice. It's a bit like Xmas when, for a small amount of time, most people are nice to each other and get along.

Will we win it? Doubt it but as long as we are still in the tournament and just like I do at the start of every season before kick off in our first match I will sit/stand there thinking.

This is our year

Virtually the way I feel Dobbin, apart from I don't watch the PL stuff because one, I've not got Sky and two, I just can't be bothered to watch it anyway.

It's good to see an England squad and manager that seem to be all pulling together, working for each other, and the nation is slowly coming round to this.

Whatever happens on Saturday, they've exceeded my expectations and will hopefully improve with time.

This World Cup tournament has been the best for ages.

WAEAW

5 hours ago, Lee A said:

So if Lucas João played for Portugal against England, you'd have wanted Portugal to win?

Each to their own, but that is proper mental.

If I see Lucas has to beat a Chelsea defender to get a strike on goal against an Everton keeper I can’t bring myself to wish for anything but a goal. I am club before country

8 hours ago, Gildowl said:

Does he really? And there's me thinking that the Sweden/Switzerland match was one of the worst matches I had seen in the tournament and that should England safely negotiate the tinderbox scenario of the snidey Colombia match they would have a fantastic chance to reach the semis, before losing in the semis.

And I pointed out that Sweden’s finishing was wonderful... but only for comedy value. My point is, though, that not only the English are confident.