Is everyone hooked on the England team now?

19 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Definitely 100% into it. For those who didn't witness 1966, all I'd say is that if we could somehow do it again it would be something they'd never forget. 

Well I saw 1966 and it was truly memorable.

Unfortunately there isn’t the pride in being English there was in those days so I doubt we’ll see similar scenes.

There are some members of society who despise any displays of patriotism.

Just look at the faces of the fans from other countries belting out their national anthems with hands on their hearts and tears in their eyes. Being proud of their country comes natural to them but there are those in this country who want to rewrite history and make us ashamed of our heritage and apologise for being British

As a child of the 50s, I find it a difficult thing to stomach.

Just how hard is it to get behind your national team?

In other countries it’s unthinkable 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

WC is a football fest, England doing well is a bonus

although we are mediocre, ironically never have a better

chance of making it to a final.

However think we will struggle to beat Sweden, hopefully

we will progress.

My money is on France to win tournament.

And yet, I see Uruguay knocking them out. Hope they do anyway. Although if I could pick anyone to beat in the final it would be France.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

And yet, I see Uruguay knocking them out. Hope they do anyway. Although if I could pick anyone to beat in the final it would be France.

Uruguay are an excellent side, arguably the best "team" in the tournament, they work so hard for each other. They'd be an absolute shoe-in for the final in our half of the draw. Big ask for them to get past France and then Brazil or Belgium but I wouldn't write them off winning the tournament.

Loving this World Cup.

1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Uruguay are an excellent side, arguably the best "team" in the tournament, they work so hard for each other. They'd be an absolute shoe-in for the final in our half of the draw. Big ask for them to get past France and then Brazil or Belgium but I wouldn't write them off winning the tournament.

Loving this World Cup.

it's written in the stars, England A v Belgium A in the final, I think.

I expect the semi's to be Uruguay v Belgium & England v Russia 

Watch me be 100% wrong lol

Just now, LiamAP22D said:

it's written in the stars, England A v Belgium A in the final, I think.

I expect the semi's to be Uruguay v Belgium & England v Russia 

Watch me be 100% wrong lol

Hope so, I'd love to see Brazil go out, so much talent but I've hated the way they've played in this tournament. Along with Uruguay they can defend though, not many sides can at this tournament so far.

Would love that to be the final 4

12 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Unfortunately there isn’t the pride in being English there was in those days so I doubt we’ll see similar scenes.

Just look at the faces of the fans from other countries belting out their national anthems with hands on their hearts and tears in their eyes. Being proud of their country comes natural to them but there are those in this country who want to rewrite history and make us ashamed of our heritage and apologise for being British

It doesn't help having a national anthem which is basically Idol worship of the queen rather than any affectionate hymn to the English nation.  Right there before kick off you've alienated anyone who doesn't worship the queen and/or god.

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you've come from but i suppose decades of hooliganism overseas has tainted the willingness of many to get the cross of St George out.

Hopefully that's behind us now though and we can build a new sense of nationality not based on imperialism and any warped sense of superiority. 

Making Jerusalem the national anthem would be a good start.

Great to see everyone excited and good atmosphere in the country. Personally not that bothered but I don’t need to deny all the others there fun. I hope they win it and there’s a huge party. I like a party. But I am still counting the days to Wednesday season starting. 

6 minutes ago, sharrowowl said:

It doesn't help having a national anthem which is basically Idol worship of the queen rather than any affectionate hymn to the English nation.  Right there before kick off you've alienated anyone who doesn't worship the queen and/or god.

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you've come from but i suppose decades of hooliganism overseas has tainted the willingness of many to get the cross of St George out.

Hopefully that's behind us now though and we can build a new sense of nationality not based on imperialism and any warped sense of superiority. 

I agree with you to an extent.

Im a royalist but it’s true that it’s a feeble anthem and I can understand your feelings on that.

Compare it with the Russian anthem which i find incredibly stirring and yes maybe there’s only Jerusalem that would be sung with the same passion 

34 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Looks like it was totally wild in 66. Not sure how we’d top it...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sharrowowl said:

Right there before kick off you've alienated anyone who doesn't worship god

I enjoy Jerusalem as a song, but if someone's objection to the current anthem is based on religious grounds then Jerusalem isn't exactly going to suit them either. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Very few countries are more patriotic than the Britsh.  Massive viewing figures dispute's your claim that it's hard to get behind your national team.  

You should stop reading the anti British newspapers such as the sun and the daily mail. People are just as proud of our country as ever before.  

Edited by Watson

1 minute ago, Watson said:

Very few countries are more patriotic than the Britsh.  Massive viewing figures dispute your claim that it's hard to behind your national team.  

You should stop reading the anti British newspapers such as the sun and the daily mail. People are just as proud of our country as ever before.  

This is a wind up, isn’t it ?

3 minutes ago, southportdc said:

I enjoy Jerusalem as a song, but if someone's objection to the current anthem is based on religious grounds then Jerusalem isn't exactly going to suit them either. 

Maybe not but its a cracking tune and the spirituality espoused by Blake was entirely personal and anything but orthodox religious. Some would say idiosyncratic and slightly eccentric. I have no problem with God but the concept of monarch worship is repugnant for me.

3 minutes ago, sharrowowl said:

Maybe not but its a cracking tune and the spirituality espoused by Blake was entirely personal and anything but orthodox religious. Some would say idiosyncratic and slightly eccentric. I have no problem with God but the concept of monarch worship is repugnant for me.

I'd got for this:

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I’m also pretty sure there will be a dump load of Brazilians who couldn’t give two hoots about football.

Yeah but they definitely care about their country even if they don’t about football.

Are you telling me that there aren’t people in this country that don’t find the idea of patriotism repugnant ?

Oh and whilst you’re taking the pee out of 1966 remember we didn’t need to have 16 pints and be coked off our heads to enjoy the game in those days