If you HAD to choose...

Hirst is my favourite but I’m so fvcckking annoyed at him at the moment with the George Hirst saga. 

However, if I was forced to pick the best then it’s Waddle. In terms of favouritism for Waddle then he’s sort of joint second with Shez, Palmer, Nilsson, Worthington, Bannister and Lyons. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

choose.jpg

Who was the most exciting player out of these two?

Who was the most important player out of these two?

Which of these two could change the way a game was going and get a result?

Who was your favourite out of these two?

Exciting... Both very exciting to watch but Hirst had explosive pace and power so Hirst for me.

Important... Waddle, he was the better player, dictated matches, was the best player in the country during the 92/93 season, didn’t have the injury record Hirst had and raised the clubs peofile to new heights.

Changing a match... Waddle all day long. Probably the most talented player this city has had in the last 50 years. 

Favourite... Hirst. He had pace, power, hardest shot in football, good with his left, good with his right, good in the air and an excellent finisher. He was the complete striker and my all time Sheffield Wednesday hero.

• Like 1

Waddle.

A world class player who had played in champions league finals, world cups etc yet had his best couple of years performance wise at Wednesday.

Hirst was a fine player but ultimately was not at the level of some of the other strikers of his generation in the prem. I would take wright, shearer, Ferdinand, Sheringham over hirst. I wouldn’t have swapped waddle for another winger of that era

14 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

We had David Hirst's golden years and the twilight of Chris Waddle's career so it has to be David for me.

Id say we arguably had one of waddles best seasons. How he didn't make the England squad when playing for us i don't know...

Hirst.

It was scary just how good he was. Pace, power, strength, could score with both feet and his head.... he could turn a game on its head out of nothing. He was a lethal finisher and scored some absolute stunners too. 

I know its all "ifs and buts" but without his injuries he would have been far better than Shearer. 

22 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Hirst.

It was scary just how good he was. Pace, power, strength, could score with both feet and his head.... he could turn a game on its head out of nothing. He was a lethal finisher and scored some absolute stunners too. 

I know its all "ifs and buts" but without his injuries he would have been far better than Shearer. 

i was just writing the pretty much same thing...

• Thanks 1

Guest addedtime

Waddle at his best or when he was with us? I only say that as he shone a bit brighter at Marseille in my opinion.

Waddle, didn’t Lawrenson once said after Hirsty scored from a Waddle cross “The cross was inch perfect, he didn’t even have to move, the ball just hit him and it was in the back of the net.”

Mind you, Hirsty could always make a goal out of nothing

19 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

choose.jpg

Who was the most exciting player out of these two?

Who was the most important player out of these two?

Which of these two could change the way a game was going and get a result?

Who was your favourite out of these two?

Both players in their prime Waddle definitely.

Both players when we had them Hirst every day of the week.

The only time I have been to a reserve team game where over 10,000 people turned up to see 20 minutes of Hirsty's latest come back game. In the 80's and 90's to the fans he was a god.

Had we not had Sheridan, Pearson, Walker, Palmer, Woods, Nilsson at the same time as Waddle then maybe Waddle for both but we were spoilt with quality in the 90's

It so very very close

Hirst was outstanding and really was local lad made good.

Waddle was world class and could have gone to numerous other places but for some obscure reason chose us. We had never seen his like before at Hillsborough and him coming opened the door for other top players to come at that time. Signing waddle was a watershed moment for the club and us as supporters. I doubt we will ever sign a player of that calibre again.

So for me...its waddle