Why is everyone so obsessed with pace?

Pace is a vital component up front in the modern game. If you have no pace up front then teams press high and nullify you. You put some pace up there and defenders drop off which leaves space for your better players to get on the ball and cause some damage.

not to mention counter attacking. Most of the time last season when these opportunities presented themselves we had to go backwards and wait for support as nobody was quick enough to go through alone. Then the chance has gone.

under Carlos we looked like Man U in the cup final. No tempo at all just slow methodical play and opponents defences were always in position as a result so we just ended up planting hopeful crosses into the box. 

For me you need pace up front BUT you also need to play at a quicker tempo as well which will then make the quicker players more effective in game.

6 hours ago, clud17 said:

So it goes something like this

P/.5 + (- A) x 11 = 0-4

P/.5 + A/.5 x 11 = 2-2

P + A/.5 x 11 = 2-0

P + A x 11 = 4-0

Tony Xia?

Bruce thanks you for your technical input but thinks cheating and diving will be more effective against Fulham. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

Yes you can put someone there with real ability and pace is nice but not needed our best two winger in last 30 years in Brunt and Waddle neither could run but they could trick their way to the byline and their delivery was excellent, thats what we miss, Reach is quick but his delivery needs work and crossing from 30 yards from the byline is bread and butter for a defender/keeper then we had Wallace on the other wing who could not cross with his right foot so he is always going to go in field.

Swap these two with Marshall on one wing and Hoilette on the other both have good delivery and all of a sudden we get more chance to score goals.

I like your examples

Waddle was probably the best winger in football at the time

How much do you think we would have to pay to buy the current best winger in football

And as for Brunt, we've had better wingers in the last 30 years, but that's a different argument

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

It's all about a balance and having different options in different areas of the field. A good mix of power, pace and skill in defence, midfield and attack gives you balance. It allows you to modify formation and tactics when either exploiting a weakness in the opposition either before or during a game,so for me a good blend is key. 

16 hours ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Attack...

1. to skin an opposition full back and get into a dangerous crossing position, instead of turning around and going backwards (obvious helps if player is at least half decent at dribbling/crossing too).

2. to counter attack at pace and scare the s.hit out of defenders, instead of stopping at the halfway line waiting for support, therefore allowing the opposition to get back and regroup.

3. Leave the fastest 2 attackers on the  halfway line when defending corners, opposition will likely think twice about sending as many players up, resulting in less pressure on the defence and leaving the option of a quick counter as above.

Defence...

To lessen the possibility of the above happening to us.

Nailed it MIB...

19 hours ago, GazBricks said:

So many people on all but the some of the threads always turn things round to Wednesday's problem being we've got no pace in side. 

Whilst i do agree we probably do need a wing back who is quick but people are asking for us to sign 2 wingers with pace which lets be right doesn't seem like the vibe the Jos is going for he wants to play with wing backs and our RWB (Hunt not Palmer) is quick. 

But i also don't particularly think we are crying out for it. the last 3 games at hillsborough we rolled every single team over all this done without any pace so i suppose what i'm really saying is are we that desperate for lets face it someone whos gonna be a speed demon with the end product of JJ?

With pace the game is exciting, with out pace it is Pass,Pass, Pass, and so on allowing the opposition to get back into their defensive positions.

BOOOORRRRIIINNNGGG.

Interesting, people often, rightly, use Waddle as an example of someone who didn’t have pace Of course it was a different game back then, but do we think a Waddle style player would be successful nowadays? There haven’t been many similar players over the years, Luis Figo springs to mind

With wing backs all the rage now, Waddle would have to be part of a central three 

Probably the dilemma we face with Adam Reach today 

not everyone is obsessed with it .....i'm more wanting  good players who think quickly rather than someone like helan,JJ who just run rapidly down blind alley's .........you can cut thru teams by pass and move just as easily as having someone who speeds down the wing  to chip 70% of there  centres into the kop ........

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

not everyone is obsessed with it .....i'm more wanting  good players who think quickly rather than someone like helan,JJ who just run rapidly down blind alley's .........you can cut thru teams by pass and move just as easily as having someone who speeds down the wing  to chip 70% of there  centres into the kop ........

The piggies were a good example of that at Hillsborough last season They don’t really have outright pace, but they moved the ball around quickly and consequently, looked a yard faster

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The piggies were a good example of that at Hillsborough last season They don’t really have outright pace, but they moved the ball around quickly and consequently, looked a yard faster

dead right .....nuhiu second goal against Norwich shows that you can cut thru sides with quick thought and passing . ok the keeper handed it  to him on a plate but we got behind them with just 3 or 4 one touch plays ....I think we have the players to do that more often and hopefully unlike carlos jos will encourage them to do that .

12 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I like your examples

Waddle was probably the best winger in football at the time

How much do you think we would have to pay to buy the current best winger in football

And as for Brunt, we've had better wingers in the last 30 years, but that's a different argument

I think in todays price Sheridan would be going for close to £100m a tackling, ball winning, play maker who also scored some great goals.

Chris Waddle in his prime I think would be up there with Bale but hopefully we would have some better haircuts than and music sense :duntmatter:

Image result for chris waddle

Related image

Image result for chris waddle

17 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Agree with you @GazBricks

We don’t need pace specifically. Many ways to win matches.

And in Joao, Forestieri, Reach and Hunt we have reasonable pace if not exactly Usain-esque.

I also agree that very few players at our current level combine blistering pace and a final ball. Such an animal is rare, even in the Prem. 

When most of them werr injured and not in the side how can we forget some of the one dimensional football. With few chances created and little outlet to attack? 

Can't believe people have forgotten so quickly! 

theres a difference between needing pace and needing wingers.

Also - its alright saying we have beaten team comfortably with our current set up (i.e. not a lot of pace) but you know that 'plan b' thing people often mention....sometimes you need to adapt and be able to use different styles so some pace as an option would be very welcome in my view.