Why is everyone so obsessed with pace?

On 21/05/2018 at 16:32, RichieB said:

I get the sense Jos will want to sometimes play counter attacking football, and for that you need pace, to be any good at it anyway. 

I dont see why anyone wouldn't want pace in a team, it's just a different option, teams that get promoted often have a bit of everything. 

I wouldn't class anyone in our team as having blistering pace to beat a man tbh. 

This ^

You need a good mix these days between physicality; pace, solidity and directness. In order for us to be more effective at playing the way Jos wants, then we lack a few more direct, dynamic and physical players. I think we will look at bringing some of those types of players in this summer and by reducing the age of the squad is a smarter way to go about it too, plus to play that way you need fit energetic players in defence and attack.

On 21/05/2018 at 15:27, GazBricks said:

So many people on all but the some of the threads always turn things round to Wednesday's problem being we've got no pace in side. 

Whilst i do agree we probably do need a wing back who is quick but people are asking for us to sign 2 wingers with pace which lets be right doesn't seem like the vibe the Jos is going for he wants to play with wing backs and our RWB (Hunt not Palmer) is quick. 

But i also don't particularly think we are crying out for it. the last 3 games at hillsborough we rolled every single team over all this done without any pace so i suppose what i'm really saying is are we that desperate for lets face it someone whos gonna be a speed demon with the end product of JJ?

pace, REAL pace, unsettles defenders, it stops them pushing up on their midfield, it keeps them hanging off, hanging back, not leaving a gap in behind them in case they get burnt (by pace).

i'm not sure how old you are, or if you remember the only time we seriously troubled the argies at a W/C was with owen's pace onto a through ball? 

terry curran and gary bannister both had pace. pace means if you beat the f/b he's dead in the water, NO coming back, skinned and their defence is wide open. it allows so many bad things to happen to the opposition it's staggering you need to question it.

however, if you're still not sure, JUST TRUST ME, we've just had two years of f***ing about with it 'as slow as molasses in winter', lets gets some pace in our game.

the only time the defensive bloke on our flank needs pace is to get back, because IF he needs to overlap the wingman, we've got the wrong wingman, we needed one with pace of his own, or with skills you no longer see in our game.