Barry Bannan wants Atdhe Nuhiu to get a new contract

“The big man’s been brilliant,” said Bannan, who returned to the Wednesday team on Saturday for the victory over Leeds United.

“I’ve been watching for three months and he’s been one of our best players.

“You know what you’re going to get from him, he’s going to give 100%, he’s a handful for defenders.

“He scored two goals (on Saturday) and that’s great for confidence and hopefully he kicks on and has a strong finish. “He’s a fans favourite, the fans love him, the boys love him, he’s a big character in the changing room.

“He gets on really well with everyone.

“As for a new contract, that’s for the chairman and Atdhe and the manager to sort out.

“It’s not for me to speak about but from the players’ point of view it would be great to see him staying because he’s a big character and everybody loves him.” 

Owlstalk Shop

I think he deserves at least having a one year deal offered to him. 

He is rarely injured, he puts himself about and he is clearly a positive influence on the squad. 

In Carlos own words he said he could not motivate fringe players maybe under Jos we are seeing a new Nuhiu and Joao and they can compete for first team places going forward. 

In the summer I thought we had too many strikers on the books but we have certainly needed them with the injury list. Nuhiu, Joao, Reach and the youngsters have done well in a difficult situation.

• Like 1

I take all players comments with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Journalist (on the record) "Barry, what do you think of Atdhe"

Barry "Well, he is a useless lump, his farts small, and no one want to room with him"

To be honest, I'm a big fan of Atdhe, I think he is a great player that adds something to the squad that no one else adds. But players being asked direct questions? They are never going to give an honest answer. However I'm sure Barry loved Big Dave. How could you not.

He’s clearly loved by staff and team mates. We don’t have to rely on him anymore, and lets be honest he probably won’t get much game time in front of Hooper, Fletcher, FF etc. But you know he’ll step up if needed like he has this season. He is also a different option for us. 

I think he should have another contract for the fact he’s a big character around the place. 

If he's happy to be a fringe player, then keep him. Not prolific, but has an infectious desire to win and no one can doubt his commitment or loyalty to the club. I agree with getting rid of Rhodes and Fletcher.....neither are prolific and don't have the heart or determination of big dave....

22 minutes ago, striker said:

Done good recently, but his overall record says release to me. With our better players available he looks poor, as the team has got worse, he has started to look better as the quality around him diminishes.

This isn't aimed at you mate but all those people defending Rhodes earlier in the season when he was missing sitters and contributing eff all else should take a long hard look at themselves before commenting on this thread 

Can someone name a better replacement, on the same money who wouldn't command a fee and can offer something different like Atdhe Nuhiu does? I'm all for bettering our options but it doesn't make sense to get rid of someone who still has the appetite to succeed here.

We had a similar situation last year with Sasso. We didn't offer him a good deal, he went elsewhere and we were then scrambling for a replacement. It took us months to finally sign Joost (3 million + wages) who thus far hasn't shown that he is better than Sasso in any way. 

I'm all for progression but we need to be smart; particularly with our FFP issues forthcoming. 

2 minutes ago, Windygrowler said:

If he's happy to be a fringe player, then keep him. Not prolific, but has an infectious desire to win and no one can doubt his commitment or loyalty to the club. I agree with getting rid of Rhodes and Fletcher.....neither are prolific and don't have the heart or determination of big dave....

His name isn't "Dave" !!!!!

• Haha 1

Guest Maxine

A couple of seasons ago I didn't rate him at all but this season hes absolutely excelled, he's stepped up when we needed him.

He has to stay for me.  

I think we keep him.

Even as a squad player.

How many times do we need him to help see a game out. If he was on the pitch at the end vs Bolton we would have won that game.....

So as long as HE will be happy to be sub most games then sign him up.

41 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'd rather keep him and rid ourselves of Fletcher and Rhodes to be honest. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper, is always fit and gives 100% when called upon, something we just don't get from the other 2. 

Well that's cursed it - signs new contract in the Summer, picks up long term injury in pre-season lol