Barry Bannan wants Atdhe Nuhiu to get a new contract

While I've always liked Nuhiu too, I find it odd that once he's scored 2 crucial goals to give us a win and some breathing space in the relegation fight, he's suddenly one of our best striker options that we should offer a contract extension to for next season. I think he's got great work ethic, seems like a central player to motivate the team and a great personality both on and off the pitch as well as his qualities on the pitch, seeing as he's been the kind of hold up striker you could play the ball too, control it while we move the team up and he can turn and get us on the offensive. Lucas Joao has increasingly also got to the point he can play the part of Nuhiu... he needs a bit more body weight so he muscle others off the ball, technically he's better and he's got a bit more pace, I think.

But with the end of the season approaching and a summer where we need to strengthen our squad, we'll see our roster of forwards + strikers include Joao, Nuhiu, Rhodes, Hooper, Matias, Forestieri, Winnall (back from loan) and out of those we probably need to let someone go... if we keep 5, I'd say Rhodes and Matias should be sold/released, if we keep 4 and look to get another in, I think maybe Nuhiu would be 3rd candidate to go?

Btw- not saying he's not worth another year, right now I'd keep him for another year too! Just questioning the timing of the posts considering him for renewal - AND if he's the sort of striker to put us up there in promotion push to Prem League next season?

Edited by N0rtherner

I'd give him another year or 2 definitely. 

Nuhui, Hooper, FF, Joao is as good as any Championship attack when all fit. They'd all offer something different. I'd try to offload Rhodes for as much as we could get, even if its only £2 £3m. Equally I'd get rid of one of Winall and Fletcher. 5 Strikers should be enough, just our fitness record this season is diabolical.

2 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

While I've always liked Nuhiu too, I find it odd that once he's scored 2 crucial goals to give us a win and some breathing space in the relegation fight, he's suddenly one of our best striker options that we should offer a contract extension to for next season. I think he's got great work ethic, seems like a central player to motivate the team and a great personality both on and off the pitch as well as his qualities on the pitch, seeing as he's been the kind of hold up striker you could play the ball too, control it while we move the team up and he can turn and get us on the offensive. Lucas Joao has increasingly also got to the point he can play the part of Nuhiu... he needs a bit more body weight so he muscle others off the ball, technically he's better and he's got a bit more pace, I think.

But with the end of the season approaching and a summer where we need to strengthen our squad, we'll see our roster of forwards + strikers include Joao, Nuhiu, Rhodes, Matias, Forestieri, Winnall (back from loan) and out of those we probably need to let someone go... if we keep 4, I'd say Rhodes and Matias should be sold/released, if we keep 3 and look to get another in, I think maybe Nuhiu would be 3rd candidate to go?

You missed Fletcher and Hooper. Proper bloated squad in it. You can only play 2 probably, so I agree we need to get rid.

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

I think he deserves at least having a one year deal offered to him. 

He is rarely injured, he puts himself about and he is clearly a positive influence on the squad. 

He's 28, hardly ever been injured and has a reputation amongst opposition players and managers alike.  He 100% should get longer than a 1 year deal, as he will still have value at 29 if we get promoted and he's still got time left on his contract.  There would be many suitors.  If we're still in the Champ, then he has a value to the team as well.  

11 minutes ago, briggowl said:

You missed Fletcher and Hooper. Proper bloated squad in it. You can only play 2 probably, so I agree we need to get rid.

Haha.. I even went back and re-added Hooper just as you quoted me, but even then I forgot about Fletcher... and in that pecking order, I just don't see how we can keep Nuhiu even if he's a great guy :)

He’s only played due to injuries, which has coincided with the dreadful football we’ve had to endure this season. If we want more of the same, then sign him up. 

I honestly believe that had George Hirst been available to play, he’d have done better than nuihu. 

Guest Bulgaria

He will be offered a new contract, but I think he will leave.

I hope he stays.

Love the bloke.... Bit of a man crush on him to be honest. If I was down, I would go to atty for a cuddle.

He doesn't get injured, is strong, looks fitter than ever and always gives 100%.

He's started to find the back of the net and is always a real handful for defenders. 

I'd love to see him with a new contract, he deserves it

57 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

He's 28, hardly ever been injured and has a reputation amongst opposition players and managers alike.  He 100% should get longer than a 1 year deal, as he will still have value at 29 if we get promoted and he's still got time left on his contract.  There would be many suitors.  If we're still in the Champ, then he has a value to the team as well.  

^100%

I'm thinking (hoping) the we give him 3 years for the same reason. If we aren't awash with better (and fit) strikers in 12-18 he would be a very sellable asset....as you say he is well admired, and should fetch a decent fee (not going to try and put and put a figure on it now...but Gary Madine = £6M apparently).

If by then things haven't improved up front you can almost guarantee that he will be continuing to make an important contribution, and for good value for his wages too as he always has been.

Either way it might be up for Adthe to decide himself as I can see him having multiple offers in the summer.

During a really bad time at the club Atdhe is one of the few who has held his head up high and got on with the job. He has done so with pride to represent our club.

I am embarrassed how some of our supporters have treated him.

He is a great professional and a good example in how to conduct yourself.

He gives us a good option, won't be too expensive and deserves a new contract.

It is not a surprise that he is playing better when he is getting more game time. Same with Joao.

It is very difficult to impress if you are getting the last 20 mins every now and then.

If we don’t give him a new deal there will be plenty of championship clubs who will.

While I hope our injured forwards come back and stay fit , they are not getting any younger and are also more expensive. 

The dilemma therefore is that if we need to lose players the only ones we can get rid of are those out of contract because no other club will take on Fletcher, Rhodes et al

2 hours ago, N0rtherner said:

Haha.. I even went back and re-added Hooper just as you quoted me, but even then I forgot about Fletcher... and in that pecking order, I just don't see how we can keep Nuhiu even if he's a great guy :)

My view on Nuhui is that tactically he gives us options. If things aren't working throw him on and it's something different. In the first CC season there were a number of games where he changed it, came on held it up, won free kicks, took pressure off us. Rhodes, Winall, Fletcher Hooper aren't different enough, for me, to change a game and out of them I'd pick Hooper by a mile. I'd still have Joao for pace and a bit of trickery, Hooper, for creativity, strength and finishing, FF for creativity and that special instinct to win a game from nowhere, Nuhui for being a huge lump that defenders hate and maybe one of the other 3. I'm sure you wanted to know that! lol

Oh and Mattias, dunno, not been too convinced yet.

2 hours ago, hawksmore said:

He’s only played due to injuries, which has coincided with the dreadful football we’ve had to endure this season. If we want more of the same, then sign him up. 

I honestly believe that had George Hirst been available to play, he’d have done better than nuihu. 

tenor (1).gif

• Haha 1

If the clubs recruitment improves this summer and our finances would allow it, i would like to see him stay for one more season. I disagree with comments like "hes a great player" etc.

He is not a great player but he works extremely hard for the team to the best of his ability and he is sometimes a real handful for opponents. Good luck to him whatever happens.