12 days and 4 important matches

Always optimistic & have to bear in mind anybody can beat anybody in our league. Be typical of us to beat Brizzle & lose to Bolton. Think Ipswich will be a draw.

As for Swansea, it's a free hit. JL can play who he wants, where he wants. Swansea back in the bottom 3 now. Are they that bothered about the cup?

We mustn't forget that our better players are gradually getting nearer the first team too, so not all doom & gloom on the thin squad.

Abdi played a full 90 on Friday. All yesterday's subs will be fresh next time out. Got to cut Jos some slack & keep grafting on all fronts.

Dig deep.

UTO.

Guest Bulgaria
6 hours ago, cowl said:

We've still more than a quarter of the season left to take care of the league, and we can prioritize the cup game without putting our survival in the league at any real risk.

It's our 150th year and this season has been abysmal. I want us to put out a team that gives us the best chance of making this season actually mean something.

Those who would put out a weakened side against Swansea under the illusion that we're prioritizing the league by doing so hardly solve the problem of putting out strong sides in the following 3 games.

But in any case, we'll have 15 or 16 players unavailable for Tuesday, so there's sadly not so much wiggle room.

Fans talk about the cup meaning far less to the clubs now, and yet you only have to look at the fans to see how obliging they are with this. We've the prospect of a quarter final against Tottenham (or Rochdale, in which case we could have a serious stab at setting up a semi-final) at stake here and apparently no-one's bothered

I am very bothered mate. Strongest team possible for Swansea. I fear Jos will not agree and we will go out with a whimper.

still get nightmares from Bolton away league game ,played absolutely awful,fans booing carlos and he didn't even looked bothered what was on the pitch

first tie ive been to a game and our fans didn't even react to Wednesday scoring 

Edited by welsOwl74

I would literally field the U23's on Tuesday, minus the few lads we are using. 

Our timing is as tragic as ever, a great opportunity to progress in the cup with Swansea likely to field a low strength team, however, the league has to be the priority. If Reach or Joao is injured on Tuesday it would be a disaster IMO.

Four wins out of four and its drama over with the added benefit of something to look forward too, but at this stage, only an absolute crazy would predict a run like that.

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Tuesday - Swansea

Saturday - Bristol City

Tuesday - Ipswich

Saturday - Bolton

Spare a thought for Jos trying to juggle a wafer-thin squad through these hugely important 12 days.

Arguably the most important match of this batch is Bolton. We don’t want to be lining up against a relegation rival with a much-weakened side.

I always look forward to such periods where there are so many matches to watch, and this is no exception. Each of these matches carries great importance. 

At the end end of this short period we may have pulled clear of the relegation strugglers, and be licking our lips over the imminent home quarter-final v Tottenham, or we may have been dragged deep into the mire and out of the cup.

Fingers crossed. The second string players and the youngsters are doing a really decent job under Jos. Lets hope we get the odd slice of luck and two or three outstanding results.

Hi Andy, we're sound between the sticks our keeper weaknesses are shared quite evenly; They being distribution, crosses and command of area.

CB's Jos persists with playing out from the back will be much better if/when Hutch joins the list along with Lees and Thornley. Shouldn't rule out Pudil and Vernancio.

Wing backs could be a problem balance wise dependant on what Jos decides to do with Fessi when fit. I doubt he'll be on the left,  so Hunt and Boyd Possibly Reach though he has performed well centrally.

Bannan, Reach, Clare are all staking shoe in claims on recent form.

Joao and Nuihu have done well recently I would think Nuihu would retain a place on the bench with Fessi and Hoops being brought back gently.

So it looks good on paper but so did the side that Atkinson took down lol

Go balls deep against Swansea - if we beat them and play (at worst) a patchwork Spurs team (cos they think they can take the pee and field their reserves as they did at Rochdale) - then i genuinely believe we'll be in the semi finals of the FA Cup

Fielding our best team at Swansea will definitely not cost us out league status - to infer as such is as absurd as it is erroneous

Lets try to salvage at least something from this wretched season

Personally I’m completely fine with Jos making 6 or 7 changes from Saturday, for tomorrow night’s game.  Well, I’m not, but I would completely understand why he would choose to do that.

IMO we would stand a much better chance of positive results against Bristol, Ipswich and Bolton by giving our best available players a breather against Swansea.

Fielding the same small pool of players in so many matches in such a short space of time, can be extremely demanding on players both mentally and physically.  We can’t carry on flogging the likes of Reach, Joao, Pudil, Hunt, Boyd etc until they break down; they have to be managed properly.

It’s not that I’m not bothered about the cup.  Under normal circumstances, I’d be very bothered about a fifth round FA cup tie, given that it’s so rare that we get this far in the competition.

A quarter-final home tie against Spurs could be a fantastic occasion.  A one-off potentially money-spinning game against high profile opposition, where we could go into the match treating it as a ‘free hit’ with no expectation of a result; what’s not to like about that?

And if we weren’t in such a vulnerable position in the league table, I’d be disappointed that if we made so many changes to the team.

But it with our busy fixture list and our worrying position in the league table, the severity of our injury crisis, will have surely made up Jos’ mind on what he needs to do against Swansea.

With only 15 first team players available, and the transfer window closed, what other choice does Jos have other than to dip into the U23s?

Edited by The Captain

19 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Ipswich and Bolton are huge. Anything from the other two will be a nice present. 

I don't like huge games; we tend to lose those... so I'm going with a win over Swansea and Bristol City, draw to Ipswich and lose to Bolton. Kind of the Wednesday way; beat the difficult opposition, lose against the easy ones...

Beat Bolton and Ipswich and I’d pretty much think we were safe from relegation.

I know anyone can beat anyone but I’d rather take points from those around us.

I was saying long before Xmas we were in a relegation fight, seems only now players and the club realise it. Stringing 2-3 wins in a row would completely change the mood and we could relax a little more. Problem is I don’t knkw where wins will come from. 

Luckiky i think 45 points may be enough to stay up

18 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

I am very bothered mate. Strongest team possible for Swansea. I fear Jos will not agree and we will go out with a whimper.

Whynrisk our best available players for a cup we will not, in all honestly win with Tottenham next and some big names still in the cup. I would much rather we ensure our survival than beat Swansea and get a few more injuries.