Mel Sterland

Guest Jack the Hat

I once went on a xmas do with loads of Brickies at work who were from Arbourthorne(all United fans except one). We bumped into Mel in a pub on Eccy Road and they all knew him. He stayed with us for a while and I got on really well with him. Not from the football thing really, but he was just a top lad. It was 1995. Happy days.

Guest Jack the Hat
24 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

I'm sure that's his opinion too and reckon thats why he said Mel was his second best lol

Roland was the best defender of the two, but Mel was better going forward and was much more versatile - he would be brilliant as one of jossies giants has he would have cover. I remember the TV game against Arsenal where he picked the ball up in defence, ran the entire length of the pitch and slammed it in the onion bag. Not many strikers can do that never mind defenders. They were both excellent players but my vote would go to Mel because of his strength and versatility. Thing is - under the new system BOTH would get a game - imagine that!! Easily one of the best players since the eighties and one of the true legends. There were games he dragged us back into by the scruff of the neck almost single headedly.

3 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Also played for the UEFA winning England U21 team in the same season if i'm not mistaken. :tango:

He was in England team and played a friendly at bumhole Lane I think , also saw him at crystal bar when I was working in beer garden 8 or 9 years ago . Good bloke even had a laugh with him with his mate . Told him I used watch him play for Wednesday as a kid and was a good player . Then his mate said yea and then he threw his money away on putting crazy bets on and trying to put him back on track and asked me what do you reckon. I said what about managing and give it a go . Had to leave to clear everyone out and told them there’s no rush take ya time and left .

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

Roland was the best defender of the two, but Mel was better going forward and was much more versatile - he would be brilliant as one of jossies giants has he would have cover. I remember the TV game against Arsenal where he picked the ball up in defence, ran the entire length of the pitch and slammed it in the onion bag. Not many strikers can do that never mind defenders. They were both excellent players but my vote would go to Mel because of his strength and versatility. Thing is - under the new system BOTH would get a game - imagine that!! Easily one of the best players since the eighties and one of the true legends. There were games he dragged us back into by the scruff of the neck almost single headedly.

During the 83-84 season  Wednesday played a 5 2 3 and with Zico and Irish as wing backs it became 3 4 3 quite ahead of his time Howard and the press mainly southern called it kick and rush,just shows what those idiots know because it was brilliant to watch 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

I remember a cup game at Coventry early 80's when he got skinned for one of there goals and said to my mate  " he'll never be a full back in a million years " ......

I think there were a few who said that

Had a reight shot on him.  I remember a cup game against villa and Mel took a free keep from the right flank just in front of me.  Sphinx got to the shot but it was so powerful it nearly took his hand off and ended up in the back of the net.  2-0 if I remember rightly.