Mel Sterland

Guest Jack the Hat
1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

My first Wednesday hero.

Still not sure why he agreed to be in that w@nk Sean Bean film though. 

Money?

Mel was fantastic for us, one of th first real attacking wing backs, a man ahead of his time. When he got running down the wing it took a brave man to get in his way. Good crosser of the ball, very powerful shot and like Stuart Pearce took no prisoners when defending.

Penalty taker supreme.

wish we had someone like him now.

4 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Remember when he filled in up front at the start of 1988-89 season.... I think? Scored in the opening home game against Villa. Looked better at it than most strikers...

Sorry to be pedantic but was Luton, won 1-0. Crowd was only something like 16,000.

Makes me laugh when people call Semedo, Nuhui or Bullen Wednesday legends and forget about people like Sterland. Lad from the Manor who supported and played for Wednesday over 300 times and went onto play for England (once).

• Like 3

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but was Luton, won 1-0. Crowd was only something like 16,000.

Makes me laugh when people call Semedo, Nuhui or Bullen Wednesday legends and forget about people like Sterland. Lad from the Manor who supported and played for Wednesday over 300 times and went onto play for England (once).

I bow to your better knowledge. Had it in my head it was Villa....

10 minutes ago, NYowl said:

I think it is safe to say that if Mel had played for West Ham, he would have had a lot more caps.

I agree, it's shameful that Zico was overlooked at international level

Gary Stevens was 1st choice around the time Mel was at his peak - that was after Viv Anderson, before Lee Dixon and around the same time as Paul Parker

I wouldn't have swapped him for any of them

... I am biased though  :dry:

34 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Also played for the UEFA winning England U21 team in the same season if i'm not mistaken. :tango:

Yes he did.

I've still got the programme from the QF first leg at Hillsborough when they battered France 6-1.

If memory serves me correctly Sterland scored in that match as well.

England squad also included future Owl Mark Chamberlain, and France squad include Leicester manager Claude Puel and a 17yr old Basile Boli, who scored the winning goal in the first ever Champions League final for Marseille v Milan 9 years later.

• Thanks 1