Mel Sterland

36 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I agree, it's shameful that Zico was overlooked at international level

Gary Stevens was 1st choice around the time Mel was at his peak - that was after Viv Anderson, before Lee Dixon and around the same time as Paul Parker

I wouldn't have swapped him for any of them

... I am biased though  :dry:

One of my teachers at the time was a huge Everton fan, and even he admitted that Sterland was better than Stevens, and that Marwood was probably better than Trevor Steven too.

6 minutes ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

One of my teachers at the time was a huge Everton fan, and even he admitted that Sterland was better than Stevens, and that Marwood was probably better than Trevor Steven too.

Nah, Trevor Steven was different class to Marwood, Marwood was good though, but no way as good as Trevor IMO...

All about opinions though...:biggrin:

8 minutes ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Yes he did.

I've still got the programme from the QF first leg at Hillsborough when they battered France 6-1.

If memory serves me correctly Sterland scored in that match as well.

England squad also included future Owl Mark Chamberlain, and France squad include Leicester manager Claude Puel and a 17yr old Basile Boli, who scored the winning goal in the first ever Champions League final for Marseille v Milan 9 years later.

Think we also had Bannister and Smith in the England U-21s around that time (not necessarily in the same squad).

Disgrace that Sterland only ever won one full England cap despite being excellent in the top flight for several years, these days you get a cap just for being a promising young player.  That Solanke at Liverpool actually got a full England cap as a striker recently despite never having scored a league goal and never made a PL start.

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Think we also had Bannister and Smith in the England U-21s around that time (not necessarily in the same squad).

Disgrace that Sterland only ever won one full England cap despite being excellent in the top flight for several years, these days you get a cap just for being a promising young player.  That Solanke at Liverpool actually got a full England cap as a striker recently despite never having scored a league goal and never made a PL start.

Without checking, I think Bannister and Smith were a year or two earlier.

I could be wrong though.

13 minutes ago, steveger said:

Nah, Trevor Steven was different class to Marwood, Marwood was good though, but no way as good as Trevor IMO...

All about opinions though...:biggrin:

Of course it is.

Like I said, that was my teacher.

I personally thought Steven/Marwood about as good as each other.

Deffo thought Sterland better than Stevens though.

My mate sent me a photo of him and Mel at a recent function Good grief, he must have been about 40 stone  Bizarrely, he was a skinny teen with little or no talent Him and his brother used to play for the Feathers, think his bro was a blade Young Mel worked so hard to become a footballer, and was eventually taken on by Wednesday, along with Charlie Williamson He was indeed a midfielder in his early days but after beefing himself up in the gym, switched to right back A player who made the very most of his limited ability

Edited by gurujuan

4 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

At a guess that will have been Lyonsy's second shirt of the game, knowing how he would put his head everywhere for us.

They weren't so paranoid about blood on shirts in those days, think the "Terry Butcher game" was in about 1989.

More likely that it got pulled off at some point in the game, the sponsorship only started in the latter part of the season (think it's first game was the FA Cup quarter final against Southampton) so they were probably just flimsy labels tacked onto the shirts or something.  I've never actually noticed that on the the photo before though!

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but was Luton, won 1-0. Crowd was only something like 16,000.

Makes me laugh when people call Semedo, Nuhui or Bullen Wednesday legends and forget about people like Sterland. Lad from the Manor who supported and played for Wednesday over 300 times and went onto play for England (once).

I knocked off work early to watch his England debut on TV.

Cant remember much about the game but I do recall that poor Mel was blamed for their goal.

12 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I knocked off work early to watch his England debut on TV.

Cant remember much about the game but I do recall that poor Mel was blamed for their goal.

I remember watching it after school, but couldn't remember the goals. Looking at it now, he could have defended it better, but the keeper should have stopped it as well and at least he was back there unlike the CBs.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Remember his debut as a midfielder. Looked absolutely lost. 

If Owlstalk has been around then..........

I remember it too, last game of season 78/79 v Hull City, lost 3-2 and Mel scored one of our goals, he only made 2 appearances in following promotion season then 80-81 season Big Jack tried him at right back in a brilliant 3-0 win at Luton which was on Match of the day that Saturday night, Jimmy Hill was full of praise for Mel saying he looked a great prospect.