Mel Sterland

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Chatted to him at a car boot once. Very nice bloke, down to earth. He was sat in a chair selling his unwanted stuff.

Leeds shirt, Rangers shirt, that type of thing.

Played 3 card brag with him Imre Varadi and a few more one night in a Hotel in london , was light when we packed in . 

On 01/02/2018 at 14:38, matthefish2002 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but was Luton, won 1-0. Crowd was only something like 16,000.

Makes me laugh when people call Semedo, Nuhui or Bullen Wednesday legends and forget about people like Sterland. Lad from the Manor who supported and played for Wednesday over 300 times and went onto play for England (once).

Nuhiu and bullen aren’t legends they are cult figures . 

Semedo was a player who said nice things to play at a level higher than he warranted . Not a legend 

Edited by james o connor

8 hours ago, Bramhall Owl said:

And Duxbury (who Mel kept out of the U21 team) yet him and Stevens got loads of caps. Who says there is no big club bias in the England set up?

Hahaha.

Duxbury was so good that I'd forgotten all about him :biggrin:.

I wonder if playing for Man U had owt to do with his international career?

Great player key in our promotion season and establishing in the top league. Should have won more caps especially when duxbury who was awful was playing. Gutted when he left but unbelievably we ended up with an even better right back which tells you how good Mel was it took a truly world class player to replace him 

On 2/1/2018 at 13:11, wakefieldowl said:

I remember xico scoring a screamer away at Oldham in a 3.1 win. We were in main stand with loads of other owls in there too

I've met Mel a couple of times and is a fantastic guy. Talked to me for ages like an old mate....he loves Wednesday and hates pigs still.

A true Wednesday legend

Never seen a ball hit as hard as that one.

We had gone behind to a very dubious penalty and Shelton had equalised for us. Got a corner up at their end and the ball was headed out and Mel caught it perfectly on the volley about 25 yards out. The ball stayed low, only about a foot of the ground and smashed into the bottom corner to Andy Goram's left. From the opposite end it looked at first as if the ball had narrowly missed and bounced back off the hoardings onto the back of the net. Goram was stood motionless and just turned to look at the ball nestling in the corner of the net at which point we went ballistic!

The perfect volley and in many respects also the most perfect comedy moment for Goram's reaction.

7 hours ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Hahaha.

Duxbury was so good that I'd forgotten all about him :biggrin:.

I wonder if playing for Man U had owt to do with his international career?

Duxbury had one of the worst haircuts of any footballer in living memory 

On 01/02/2018 at 14:38, matthefish2002 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but was Luton, won 1-0. Crowd was only something like 16,000.

Makes me laugh when people call Semedo, Nuhui or Bullen Wednesday legends and forget about people like Sterland. Lad from the Manor who supported and played for Wednesday over 300 times and went onto play for England (once).

Council estates are where most professional footballers emanate from, it’s where you end up that counts, Mel used his ability to progress in life and succeeded, good on him.

I'm simply repeating what others have said, but knew Mel very well in his days playing for Three Feathers with Charlie Williamson, Carl Shutt and Brian Cox. Even after he'd signed for Wednesday he would play football with his mates on fields at the back of Pipworth Road school.

A good friend of mine still sees him from time to time and reckons he's still the same - such a genuine bloke and true Wednesday legend.