Mel Sterland

17 minutes ago, owler66 said:

During the 83-84 season  Wednesday played a 5 2 3 and with Zico and Irish as wing backs it became 3 4 3 quite ahead of his time Howard and the press mainly southern called it kick and rush,just shows what those idiots know because it was brilliant to watch 

for me the best side I've seen .....

My favourite Wednesday player.

Mel could play and was an absolute joy to watch.

Also I have spoken to him a couple of times and he seemed a really nice and genuine bloke.

Wednesday legend in my eyes and a credit to himself and also our club. Mel achieved a lot in the game, all richly deserved.

Also his autobiography makes for an interesting read and I'd recommend it to all Wednesday fans old enough to remember Mel's era.

UTO

1 hour ago, wakefieldowl said:

I remember xico scoring a screamer away at Oldham in a 3.1 win. We were in main stand with loads of other owls in there too

I've met Mel a couple of times and is a fantastic guy. Talked to me for ages like an old mate....he loves Wednesday and hates pigs still.

A true Wednesday legend

Did Bannister score other 2 ? Used to score every time we played them . 

2 minutes ago, shireowl said:

Remember the league cup in 85 3-0 up against Chelsea they pull it back to 3-4 then Zico falls over the ref gives a penalty and Mel slams it in the back of the net 4-4 the noise that night was unbelievable always remember that game ......

Down in Chelsea folklore as the Paul Cannonville game, they brought him on at half time and he ripped us apart.

6 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Down in Chelsea folklore as the Paul Cannonville game, they brought him on at half time and he ripped us apart.

That’s the one Canoville he scored 2 I thought it was Dixon who got the double !

We was all expecting Blair to take the pen not sure if Zico argued against it or Andy didn’t want to take the responsibility but the noise when it flew in was incredible......

1 hour ago, shireowl said:

That’s the one Canoville he scored 2 I thought it was Dixon who got the double !

We was all expecting Blair to take the pen not sure if Zico argued against it or Andy didn’t want to take the responsibility but the noise when it flew in was incredible......

Hundreds of fans had left & walking up Herries Road before the penalty was given, when they heard we'd got it they all turned & ran back in again just in time to see Mel score.

Sterland is my all time favourite player, was totally gutted when he went to Rangers, vowed there & then to never get upset over a player leaving ever again & I haven't.

I just loved the way he played, the fact he was local & a Wednesday fan, when I see clips of him now I always have AC/DC's Thunderstruck playing in the back of my mind, seems to suit his style...for me he should have been in that painting that's just been done, fantastic player & Wednesday through & through.

20 hours ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Of course it is.

Like I said, that was my teacher.

I personally thought Steven/Marwood about as good as each other.

Deffo thought Sterland better than Stevens though.

And Duxbury (who Mel kept out of the U21 team) yet him and Stevens got loads of caps. Who says there is no big club bias in the England set up?

14 hours ago, NYowl said:

Paul Canoville (the canibal) 

He certainly ate us up that game ..

Remember another bloody Chelsea substitute coming on and tearing us another one on his Todd (hat trick)in the late eighties too Graham Bloody Stuart .....

Reckon that's why the Blunts bought him?

I think you are bang on with Peter Nicholas NY 

In his second spell with Palace inbetween playing for the  Arsèholes ..

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST