Bragging about averaging 30,000?

It's an inferior complex that runs throughout the entire club, starting at the very top with McCabe and his obsession to be seen as the biggest and best supported club in Sheffield.

- Their "Sheffield's red and white" campaign.

- Their reaction to Hillsborough getting chosen as Sheffield's World Cup venue.

- Their idea to reduce the away allocation for derby games even when they can't sell out for the majority of them.

- Chengdu Blades.

- Hijacking Sheffield FC 150th anniversary.

- Removing the day 'Wednesday' from official club diaries.

11 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I’d love to know the comparison in gate receipts. It wouldn’t surprise me if ours are double

Can't really use this argument though. Not when we're languishing behind them in league position, while paying players 40k plus per week wages that are being out performed by Leon Clarke. It just makes us look like mugs for being ripped off.

I'm on Twitter. It's great for accessing reports and info on Wednesday. See a lot of piggy tweets come up on my timeline because they've been retweeted by others. I just have to laugh at the pathetic arguments that go off between our fans and theirs. Arguments about anything and everything.

Who's got the best attendance? Who's got the best ground? Who's got the best midfielder, striker, pies, mascot, tea lady, etc. 

Seriously who gives a ****? Don't waste your time. 

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

I’d love to know the comparison in gate receipts. It wouldn’t surprise me if ours are double

There you go.

Year Sheff W £m   Sheff U £m    
2009 6 C 6.9 -0.9 C
2010 6.5 C 4.9 1.6 C
2011 4.6 L1 4.4 0.2 C
2012 6 L1 4.5 1.5 L1
2013 6.2 C 3.7 2.5 L1
2014 5.5 C 5.5 0 L1
2015 5.5 C 4.4 1.1 L1
2016 10 C 4.6 5.4 L1
2017 n/a C 5.4   L1
  • Like 1

I really don’t get this “my crowd is bigger than your crowd” cr@p. I go to watch Wednesday because they are my team: I have been in crowds of 55,000 and I have been in crowds of 11,000: I would go if I was the only one there.

I don’t care how many people watch any other team, they don’t interest me; my team is Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

post WW2 we have had the higher average  attendance 56 times to the blunts 14 ......pretty conclusive who's number 1 when it comes to support in this city 

I used to put the obsession thing down to being our little brother but as I got older its now just this cousin 

41 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

I really don’t get this “my crowd is bigger than your crowd” cr@p. I go to watch Wednesday because they are my team: I have been in crowds of 55,000 and I have been in crowds of 11,000: I would go if I was the only one there.

I don’t care how many people watch any other team, they don’t interest me; my team is Wednesday.

it's not important but it's good to hit them with the facts when they start to get a bit lippy . 

11 hours ago, a_weishaupt said:

The argument is not fair.   Their average was in the heady days of the Premiership.    More away fans, more glory hunting fans wanting to watch Premiership football.

Add to this such facts as 

1) More free or cheep tickets given away per match (to the tune of several thousand, sometimes as many as five thousand for lesser games

2) (This one doesn't happen now, it has been stopped)  Fans signing up for Sheffield College courses that cost as little as £60, so that they can then get student season ticket prices instead of adult season tickets.    I believe this ran into almost 1k fans who signed up, but never attended.    The college understood what was happening so accepted the sign ups knowing they would never be over crowded.

3) Blatant lies by SUFC.    When you look around and guestimate around 18k inside, but then it gets quoted as 25k.    I'm sorry, but this is obvious but still gets allowed.    The reason it happens is because the figure given to the FA is not the figure that is put on the accounts figures.

4)  Most clubs do not declare unused seats on the attendance figures, SUFC do.

I put the above down to the "Chesterfield syndrome" - Chesterfield quote their club age at older than SWFC because they believe it gives them something over us.    It doesn't - the quoted age of Chesterfield is correct, but it is for a different football club that the current Chesterfield are not a continuation of.

SUFC and gate figures are the same - they think it gives them one up on us.   In truth it doesn't, but they think it does so they persist in this.   Including the McCabes - they even use it when talking to potential investors "We are the best supported club in Sheffield" - yeah right!

The attendance argument is boring but I will bite! In the last few years when United fans have used the fact that we have got a bus load of away fans it has been laughed at. Our crowds held up really well in league 1 even when it was as turgid has it has ever been. I for one kept going out of habit rather than enjoyment.

The rest of the post is basically made up to try and suit an argument.

1. Every club gives tickets away, yes including Wednesday! Where on earth do you get the several thousand from? It completely made up and have no facts to back it up.

2. Again where in earth do you get these facts from? A 1000 people signed up in a college course to get student tickets? Really if it is that easy I’m pretty sure your own fans will have done the same. Totally made up.

3 and 4. I’m quite sure you will see threads on here where your own fans have said “there was nowhere near that many here today”. How do you know Sheffield United count people not attending i.e season ticket holders? And if they do how do you know it’s only Sheffield United that do it? Arsenal have done it this season that’s for sure and I am pretty sure you had a game this season maybe a Friday night game when the attendance raised eyebrows.

Like I have said before the attendance argument is boring. But some of the stuff you have used to try and and suit your argument is pure speculation and made up. The fact is both clubs are extremely well supported, your prices are a scandal but you have had 3 year deals which has helped also you have been in your most successful period in a generation.

It’s  swings and roundabouts we will probably get a higher average this season but could change again next year. There has never been a massive gulf in attendances between the 2 clubs and if the gap has been bigger than usual it has always coincided with being in a different division or the other team being much more successful.

3 hours ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

It's an inferior complex that runs throughout the entire club, starting at the very top with McCabe and his obsession to be seen as the biggest and best supported club in Sheffield.

- Their "Sheffield's red and white" campaign.

- Their reaction to Hillsborough getting chosen as Sheffield's World Cup venue.

- Their idea to reduce the away allocation for derby games even when they can't sell out for the majority of them.

- Chengdu Blades.

- Hijacking Sheffield FC 150th anniversary.

- Removing the day 'Wednesday' from official club diaries.

You are kidding right? If thats true they are even more pathetic than I imagined. Muppets!

My dad always told me of the Season Sheffield Wednesday beat Sheffield united to promotion by 0.08 of a goal difference, the old way before goal difference used to be average goals and we conceded one less but with the same goal difference we went up and United didn't. This was 1949/50 what a sickener if you were a united fan eh.

1 Tottenham Hotspur 42 27 7 8 81 35 2.314 61 Promoted to the First Division
2 Sheffield Wednesday 42 18 16 8 67 48 1.396 52
3 Sheffield United 42 19 14 9 68 49 1.388 52

Whilst attendances are not that big a deal, whenever this debate comes up I think the most telling season in recent(ish) memory was when they were promoted to the prem and we narrowly avoided relegation from the champ. Same division, very different levels of success. We had comfortably the higher gates. 

The following season was the one they had 30k average - stands to reason we would have done likewise has the roles been reversed given that we had higher gates than them the previous season. 

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Not the best example when we didn't sell all our home tickets for the Sheffield derby.

That's my point.

They were the ones that restricted the away allocation for derbies years ago and now we are in a position where both teams get a pathetic allocation of 2k. It all stems from their desperation to get one up on our support. 

2 hours ago, darklord said:

You are kidding right? If thats true they are even more pathetic than I imagined. Muppets!

McCabe admitted it in an article and I thought it was tongue in cheek, until an employee of the club showed me. They replaced Wednesday with 'Tuesday b' instead. This was some years ago now so not sure if they still do it.