Bovver??

13 hours ago, roaminowl said:

...because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on Bramall Lane. You need me on Bramall Lane. We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way.

Hope you weren't passing this quote off as yours were you?

18 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

On reflection you have to admit that without Wednesdayites who are “ up for it” being there the mums dads and kids who support us would have been toast. We can debate the sad reality, but it’s the reality nevertheless. 

Excellent point. There was an instance away at Man U in the league cup mid 90s. We took around 7k fans and manure fsns misinterpreted the dambusters song and came out lashing out at anybody resembling an owls fan. Quite literally a hard core of owls stood their ground outside and prevented the majority of our innocent fanbase from being attacked. Are there any of todays do gooders on this thread there that night and anything to be thankfull for?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Excellent point. There was an instance away at Man U in the league cup mid 90s. We took around 7k fans and manure fsns misinterpreted the dambusters song and came out lashing out at anybody resembling an owls fan. Quite literally a hard core of owls stood their ground outside and prevented the majority of our innocent fanbase from being attacked. Are there any of todays do gooders on this thread there that night and anything to be thankfull for?

Yup, that one sticks in my memory, as it probably does anyone else who was there. Was 13 at the time, and it seemed like anyone was fair game in Wednesday colours, they kept us in for 30 mins or so, so they were all waiting for us on the forecourt. Went to all the Bramhall Lane 90s derbies, and didnt see any trouble coming out of their stadium. If that video posted of friday is anything to go by, it was fairly tame compared to that Man Utd game. TBH, those doing the dambusters have to take some blame, I was sat near em, and it was fairly obvious why the United fans were getting irate in the stadium, but they carried on with it.

Edited by TheRock

2 minutes ago, TheRock said:

Yup, that one sticks in my memory, as it probably does anyone else who was there. Was 13 at the time, and it seemed like anyone was fair game in Wednesday colours, they kept us in for 30 mins or so, so they were all waiting for us on the forecourt. Went to all the Bramhall Lane 90s derbies, and didnt see any trouble coming out of their stadium. If that video posted of friday is anything to go by, it was fairly tame compared to that Man Utd game. TBH, those doing the dambusters have to take some blame, I was sat near em, and it was fairly obvious why the United fans were getting irate in the stadium, but they carried on with it.

It was popular at the time with our fans to give a rendition of the dambusters thingy at just about every game. I understood why manure fans got it wrong but there was no excuse for attacking all our fans after the game. It was out of order as were the idiotic blunt fans last friday.

5 minutes ago, TheRock said:

Yes i was there with my son, we had the cops to be thankful for, hid behind them then they ushered us onto our coach and said lock the doors, it was mayhem and scary.

Everyone has a right to defend themselves,especially if you have women and kids with you

Don't like trouble,don't look for trouble but sometimes its forced on you, it's either stand up to be counted or be a doormat.

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

I was front of the tunnel, getting squashed up against the big steel door. Said to coppers "open the door before you have another Hillsborough". Copper said "you don't know what's waiting only the other side mate". Eventually they had to open it. Jesus, he weren't kidding. A wall of snarling, tooled up Red army. Lashing at anyone. Copped for a couple of whacks myself. Once had dodged to side and we all had chance to focus, had a proper go back. Mayhem that night. And like you say, it was pretty much misinterpreted by the mancs 

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Weren't there at night but I was on the Sunday afternoon, :biggrin: I was one of those that got locked inside stadium, they were letting our fans out but when it all kicked off outside they shut gates again, when we did get out it was all calm again.

5 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Loving this :rolleyes:

I remember the carnage that night, but "misinterpreted"?

From what I can remember it was a huge miscalculation on our part but the 'Dambusters' thing was a non stop wind up which we paid for big time.

Also remember the other 'needle match', was it new years day or some holiday, when they had been taking the pi*s about us before the game and we turned them over and rubbed their noses in it.

I seem to remember that got a bit 'lively' as well.

Can't take a joke them Mancs  :laugh:

No misinterpretation there from my memory...it started on our end, they started jumping, we wound it up until it burst, a brief lock in then it was like a war zone outside. Was glad to get away from that one. Think that was the 1st leg where Giggs put one in from a tight angle. UTO.

7 minutes ago, MrsHall said:

No misinterpretation there from my memory...it started on our end, they started jumping, we wound it up until it burst, a brief lock in then it was like a war zone outside. Was glad to get away from that one. Think that was the 1st leg where Giggs put one in from a tight angle. UTO.

Yes it was the Gigg's goal. Remember the dambuster's singing but it was one lad in particular stood on a barrier and doing the aeroplane gesture that got them going. Collected £4.20 in change that game.

It was nasty outside, coppers all waiting to arrest the losers.   

27 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Loving this :rolleyes:

I remember the carnage that night, but "misinterpreted"?

From what I can remember it was a huge miscalculation on our part but the 'Dambusters' thing was a non stop wind up which we paid for big time.

Also remember the other 'needle match', was it new years day or some holiday, when they had been taking the pi*s about us before the game and we turned them over and rubbed their noses in it.

I seem to remember that got a bit 'lively' as well.

Can't take a joke them Mancs  :laugh:

They related it specifically to the Busby Babes Munich air crash and that was the misinterpretation. We had been singing that all season at just about every away match but manure took it the wrong way. I don't think anybody realised at the time that Liverpool's innocent brigade purposefully had been doing this at Old Trafford to instigate the response we ending up getting.

Absolute bedlam and mayhem that night.

I've never had a fight in my life. Not in my nature.

I once had a 30 second scuffle and pushing match at school.

It's just not in me.

I don't condone violence and never have.

But that night, that night..... when my nerves jangled and my heart raced and I genuinely feared that someone might end up as a newspaper headline , and as I tried to push to the back of my mind the horror that it might be me, I have to admit that when a group of Wednesday fans seemed to come from no where and end up between myself and what can only be described as a hate filled  rabid mob I have never been so happy to see some drunk looking Sheffield lads who looked like they might enjoy a scrap.

It's awful to say. But it's true. I make no bones about that. 

I felt the breath leave my body a huge sigh and realised that I had been holding my breath for about two minutes in sheer terror. The terror where you can't even move.

As soon as they were in-between myself my uncle and the mob we were gone. Sense returned.

I was there with an elderly uncle that night. At first I had paid no attention thinking that scrappers only sought out other scrappers. That we would simply walk past.

Not a chance. They were after blood and I genuinely believed then, as I do now that they weren't bothered at all who's it was. Regardless of age, gender etc etc.

I have zero doubt , at all, that myself and Ronnie would have been absolutely pulverized.

I don't really like the thought of football violence.

I wish it wasn't even a thing.

When I visit a bookshop and see the autobiography of some 'hardman' I find myself tutting and shaking my head.

Really, I don't think it should have a place in modern football.

But that night. That night I was pleased to see that small band of what I would have considered yobs on any other day.

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl

I was one of about 40-50 unlucky fans on the steps outside when the coppers locked the door. Had no choice but to defend ourselves, they had the upper ground as it slopped towards us. My mate got hit on the head with a flask thrown by the Mancs, the only time I have had no choice but to fight at a football match. Does not make me a thug, just wrong place wrong time. 

11 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

They related it specifically to the Busby Babes Munich air crash and that was the misinterpretation. We had been singing that all season at just about every away match but manure took it the wrong way. I don't think anybody realised at the time that Liverpool's innocent brigade purposefully had been doing this at Old Trafford to instigate the response we ending up getting.

I think it started off innocently, but we could all see the reaction it got from them, many (a younger me included) continued singing it despite knowing what it meant to them in an attempt to wind em up.

In fairness they reacted much worst than I expected (I admit it's the most scared I've been at a football match when coming out afterwards) I was with a lot of the older Stocksbridge lads and even they hadn't seen anything like it for about a decade.

Also found out later,  a good mate of mine at the time ended in hospital for a few days having a plate in his jaw and rewired. 

Was a scary day. 

I seem to recall they got some payback at Hillsborough for the 2nd leg.

Edited by OWL1969