Bovver??

11 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Absolute bedlam and mayhem that night.

I've never had a fight in my life. Not in my nature.

I once had a 30 second scuffle and pushing match at school.

It's just not in me.

I don't condone violence and never have.

But that night, that night..... when my nerves jangled and my heart raced and I genuinely feared that someone might end up as a newspaper headline , and as I tried to push to the back of my mind the horror that it might be me, I have to admit that when a group of Wednesday fans seemed to come from no where and end up between myself and what can only be described as a hate filled  rabid mob I have never been so happy to see some drunk looking Sheffield lads who looked like they might enjoy a scrap.

It's awful to say. But it's true. I make no bones about that. 

I felt the breath leave my body a huge sigh and realised that I had been holding my breath for about two minutes in sheer terror. The terror where you can't even move.

As soon as they were in-between myself my uncle and the mob we were gone. Sense returned.

I was there with an elderly uncle that night. At first I had paid no attention thinking that scrappers only sought out other scrappers. That we would simply walk past.

Not a chance. They were after blood and I genuinely believed then, as I do now that they weren't bothered at all who's it was. Regardless of age, gender etc etc.

I have zero doubt , at all, that myself and Ronnie would have been absolutely pulverized.

I don't really like the thought of football violence.

I wish it wasn't even a thing.

When I visit a bookshop and see the autobiography of some 'hardman' I find myself tutting and shaking my head.

Really, I don't think it should have a place in modern football.

But that night. That night I was pleased to see that small band of what I would have considered yobs on any other day.

Thats why I brought this up. Because I was with my wife in a similar situation and thought how the hell am I gonna get her out of this only to be given an escape route by some well known faces who were up for it. At the time I knew some of these guys and they would have always intervened if they saw innocent wednesday fans being randomly attacked. 

Some of our fanbase have to sometimes look a little bit deeper into unique confrontational situations and going to Bramhall Lane certainly falls into that category.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's just not in me.

But that night, that night..... when my nerves jangled and my heart raced and I genuinely feared that someone might end up as a newspaper headline , and as I tried to push to the back of my mind the horror that it might be me, I have to admit that when a group of Wednesday fans seemed to come from no where and end up between myself and what can only be described as a hate filled  rabid mob I have never been so happy to see some drunk looking Sheffield lads who looked like they might enjoy a scrap.

I felt the breath leave my body a huge sigh and realised that I had been holding my breath for about two minutes in sheer terror. The terror where you can't even move.

As soon as they were in-between myself my uncle and the mob we were gone. Sense returned.

I was there with an elderly uncle that night. At first I had paid no attention thinking that scrappers only sought out other scrappers. That we would simply walk past.

Not a chance. They were after blood and I genuinely believed then, as I do now that they weren't bothered at all who's it was. Regardless of age, gender etc etc.

I have zero doubt , at all, that myself and Ronnie would have been absolutely pulverized.

When I visit a bookshop and see the autobiography of some 'hardman' I find myself tutting and shaking my head.

But that night. That night I was pleased to see that small band of what I would have considered yobs on any other day.

Chortle, this takes me back. Remember me and a couple of mates zipping the old coat up and walking into the Manchester night in the opposite direction of the tram station.

God knows what suburbs we traversed through on our way back to Manchester Victoria. As the train pulled in late Sunday night I can still remember the 3 of us giving the blowing out of the cheeks and a raising of the eyebrows. We spoke no further of it and managed to get a pint before last orders at half ten.

15 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's just not in me.

Life and beliefs are never straightforward, you think you have a well-reasoned opinion when an out of nowhere an almighty big spanner gets chucked in the works and makes us have a major rethink.

A very honest post, Lord Snooty 

28 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

I was one of about 40-50 unlucky fans on the steps outside when the coppers locked the door. Had no choice but to defend ourselves, they had the upper ground as it slopped towards us. My mate got hit on the head with a flask thrown by the Mancs, the only time I have had no choice but to fight at a football match. Does not make me a thug, just wrong place wrong time. 

I was one aswell. Couldn't believe it when realised no more Wednesday were coming out of that stand. Head down and swing like your life depends on it.

20 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I think it started off innocently, but we could all see the reaction it got from them, many (a younger me included) continued singing it despite knowing what it meant to them in an attempt to wind em up.

In fairness they reacted much worst than I expected (I admit it's the most scared I've been at a football match when coming out afterwards) I was with a lot of the older Stocksbridge lads and even they hadn't seen anything like it for about a decade.

Also found out later,  a good mate of mine at the time ended in hospital for a few days having a plate in his jaw and rewired. 

Was a scary day. 

I seem to recall they got some payback at Hillsborough for the 2nd leg.

Don't get this at the cinema though

lol

Being locked inside the stadium and hearing the steel doors getting battered was bad to be fair but managed to get away without a scrap

I'd have ninja'd them in their throats though and they probably knew it and ran off when they saw me come out

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Watson said:

Life and beliefs are never straightforward, you think you have a well-reasoned opinion when an out of nowhere an almighty big spanner gets chucked in the works and makes us have a major rethink.

A very honest post, Lord Snooty 

I still don't agree with violence.

Especially about football.

I still find myself grimacing when I hear stupid songs or chants. Or stupid behavior. Think to myself "Come on, we're better than this. Lets not show ourselves up"

It's just me. I just love the club and the game.

When you think your life might be under threat though.... (And I genuinely did that day think that was a possible outcome -  what chance would me and my then pensioner uncle have had? -

When that happens....you take whatever luck comes your way.

And whether I like it or not. That day, luck was some rough looking Wednesday fans.

We were very lucky that day at old Trafford as we were the first ones out. Make no mistake we knew it was going to go off big time as the Dam Busters / Munich song was like a red rag to a bull to them, to be fair I think a fair amount of our support wouldn't have connected the two but it was pretty common knowledge regarding the songs connotation. We'd just about got back to our coach when loads of Manure lads came running past straight into the Wednseday lot. Wednesday were giving as good as they got until the gates were locked then it was total mayhem as there were only about 500 Wednesday outside against massive numbers. We were fighting the flaps on the coach as the coach driver was trying to drive away. I remember getting back to the pub later and everyone was talking about it, people were hell bent on revenge, normal fans and hooligans alike. I think it's fair to say Wednesday did dish out revenge on the night of the second leg at Hillsborough.

Edited by Walt

6 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Excellent point. There was an instance away at Man U in the league cup mid 90s. We took around 7k fans and manure fsns misinterpreted the dambusters song and came out lashing out at anybody resembling an owls fan. Quite literally a hard core of owls stood their ground outside and prevented the majority of our innocent fanbase from being attacked. Are there any of todays do gooders on this thread there that night and anything to be thankfull for?

I was there. Rough 

There was no misinterpretation from where I was stood. Our lot were winding them up from minute one. I remember thinking “wow. They look really angry”

Afterwards was just mayhem. Probably the closest I’ve been to what it must have been like in the 70s

I was there, it was scary even inside the ground during the game.

It is amazing how time dulls peoples memory though. It wasn't a night match, was definitely the League Cup semi first leg on a Sunday afternoon....as far as I can recall it's the only time we've played them in either cup in the last 50 years outside of Wembley :stuwinky:

55 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I think it started off innocently, but we could all see the reaction it got from them, many (a younger me included) continued singing it despite knowing what it meant to them in an attempt to wind em up.

In fairness they reacted much worst than I expected (I admit it's the most scared I've been at a football match when coming out afterwards) I was with a lot of the older Stocksbridge lads and even they hadn't seen anything like it for about a decade.

Also found out later,  a good mate of mine at the time ended in hospital for a few days having a plate in his jaw and rewired. 

Was a scary day. 

I seem to recall they got some payback at Hillsborough for the 2nd leg.

Yeah Sammy, he was on our coach mate, got battered, completely sparked out. Could hear a pin drop on our coach on way back , we were gutted. Like u said, commupence was served  in the second leg at Hillsborough ! 

My 'It's b@!llocks' post was with regards the validation of violence at football in order to protect ...'moms and dads' at S6 on Friday. It presumes that just because you don't want to be involved with 'bovver' that you can't deal with the fuckwhits who want to threaten and damage you because of supporting another team. 

I know enough 'moms and dad's' who if they saw or thought their children were being put in danger would rip the spine out of those scumbagspuckbubbles trying it on. I've also seen where most 'ordinary' football fans don't turn and run but actually face up to the tossssers trying it on mostly starting though the 70's. Most men and women don't just roll over and take it...it's generally been the solidarity of Wednesdayites which sort of began with Big Jack and how following Wednesday in huge numbers meant you all looked after each other without the need to fight.

Just because you aren't part of the 'top boys' whatever doesn't make you impotent, it just means you don't prove your worth by wanting to fight at football matches.

I wasn't at Man Utd for the following discussion but it seems to me it was provocation that started it and a combination of the police and all Wednesdayites making sure folk got out as best as possible. And I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't understand a tune about 'flying/airplanes' being a provocation to Man United must have been living under a rock for 50 years.

I'm not blaming or condoning I'm saying both incidents don't validate the need for it like some kind of 'protection' squad. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Owl said:

Thats why I brought this up. Because I was with my wife in a similar situation and thought how the hell am I gonna get her out of this only to be given an escape route by some well known faces who were up for it. At the time I knew some of these guys and they would have always intervened if they saw innocent wednesday fans being randomly attacked. 

Some of our fanbase have to sometimes look a little bit deeper into unique confrontational situations and going to Bramhall Lane certainly falls into that category.

That’s exactly the point. I was at Man U for that match too. Grateful to a number of people who will remain nameless. Same as at a night match outside the Millwall ground. I could go on. Blunts seek the weak who need protection. You only need to look at their match at Boro and the kids who were attached wearing shirts.

keep the morale high ground and I’ll keep safe thanks.

• Thanks 1