Mclaren holds talks

1 minute ago, Nick the Owl said:

This is exactly why everyone celebrating Carlos' departure without knowing his replacement were massively getting ahead of themselves, it was obvious that we could easily end up with someone as bad as McLaren.

The 'anyone but Carlos' approach is about to backfire spectacularly. 

But there's plenty of choice other than McClaren out there and Carlos pretty much had to because he was useless?

Just because we're totally incompetent to go and get McClaren doesn't mean Carlos should have stayed lol

I realise I'll be going against the grain here...

But would it be really such an horrendous appointment?!

We've bemoaned the style of play under Carlos. McClaren plays adventurous football. His record isn't spectacular, but neither is most of the managers we'll be linked with. But how many managers who would come to us, have top division titles, domestic cups and England manager on their CV?

You don't win titles, with unfancied clubs without having a nous tactically. His record with Derby in this division is better than the equivalent of Carlos' time here. 

AND, most crucially imo, he's someone with a global contact base. He's worked in Germany, Holland, and recently Israel. He's worked as coach, manager, Director of Football. That football man with contacts and links in the game we were all craving...could very well be the Head Coach as well.

Or maybe, he's held talks for a Director of Football role? 

Either way, it certainly won't be as bad an appointment this thread makes it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Nick the Owl said:

This is exactly why everyone celebrating Carlos' departure without knowing his replacement were massively getting ahead of themselves, it was obvious that we could easily end up with someone as bad as McLaren.

The 'anyone but Carlos' approach is about to backfire spectacularly. 

agree 100%, this guy makes pleat look like a football genius.

Just now, vulva said:

Abject failure? Ferguson hand picked him to be assistant manager at Man Utd, and he was England manager. 

As I said he was a decent coach (hence the reason he went to Man Utd) but he’s a crap manager.

He got the England job off the back of a season where Boro got to the UEFA Cup final but that cup run masked a very disappointing league campaign in which during one match a fan was restrained by stewards as he threw his season ticket at him.

He then went on as England manager to fail to qualify for the European Championships.

As I say, his CV is littered with abject failure and he’d be an awful appointment. 

If (IF) he’s appointed then just as worrying is how in the space of less than four days Chansiri, or his advisors have come to the conclusion that he’s the best man for the job without, it seems, even drawing up a shortlist.

We are one of the biggest draws (if not THE biggest) outside of the Premier League to any manager.

DC needs to take a deep breath, let Bullen take the reins for the next couple of games and think about this some more.

To me this would either be a panic appointment or we really are that close to FFP (or skint) that we aren’t in a position to go after anyone currently in employment.

There’s no way on earth Steve McLaren is the best Sheffield Wednesday can come up with.

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

Abject failure? Ferguson hand picked him to be assistant manager at Man Utd, and he was England manager. 

Ferguson also hand picked Moyes as his successor at Man Utd and look how that turned out.WTF:

he's been around, and teams often have him back:

1999–2001 Manchester United (assistant)
2000–2002 England (assistant)
2001–2006 Middlesbrough
2004–2006 England (assistant)
2006–2007 England
2008–2010 Twente
2010–2011 VfL Wolfsburg
2011 Nottingham Forest
2012–2013 Twente
2013–2015 Derby County
2015–2016 Newcastle United
2016–2017 Derby County
2017 Maccabi Tel Aviv (coaching consultant)

24 minutes ago, Cheffield Waynesday said:

The only positive I can’t take from it is that I’ll be able to save a few thousand quid as i wont be going to any games while McClown is manger. 

& thats before the blokes !st game! are you just wanting an excuse not to go?