George Hirst Saga..

27 minutes ago, peggyowl said:

My concern is the influence Doyen are having on the young lad.   My understanding is for a player that's only played a few first team games he was offered a good contract to make him the highest ever paid youngster at the club and would take him on to the lower end of the first team wage structure.

His agent wanted more money because of course they make more money out of it.

Its a shame but 1 player and his agent cant hold the club to ransom and if the club gives in it sets a precedent that could be difficult in the future. 

We need to get shut of Doyen . Their involvement with the club ,and some of our players / coaches is a complete conflict of interest. 

Given that we have only had two shots on target over the last two games, you have to think Hirst could not have done any worse, and possibly rather better, if he was given the opportunity. The lad has done as much as could be reasonably expected at U23 level to merit being given at least a place on the bench. I find the whole situation with him ludicrous.

1 minute ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Given that we have only had two shots on target over the last two games, you have to think Hirst could not have done any worse, and possibly rather better, if he was given the opportunity. The lad has done as much as could be reasonably expected at U23 level to merit being given at least a place on the bench. I find the whole situation with him ludicrous.

You aren't going to have shots on, or off, target if you simply aren't creating the chances. That's where our problem lies.

Playing Hirst isn't going to be a solution to that.

38 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

This says it all 

"Beresford, a lifelong Sheffield United fan, added he would “love it” if the Blades tried to sign Hirst".

The daft  thing is that they could end up with him, if he doesn’t sign a contract with us and agrees to join the blunts the fee could be settled by tribunal if they refuse to meet our price. This is a very sad state of affairs, if both parties have thrown their toys out of their respective prams the club could become a laughing stock.

WTF:

1 minute ago, optimisticowl said:

The daft  thing is that they could end up with him, if he doesn’t sign a contract with us and agrees to join the blunts the fee could be settled by tribunal if they refuse to meet our price. This is a very sad state of affairs, if both parties have thrown their toys out of their respective prams the club could become a laughing stock.

WTF:

I think he'll want to go somewhere that will pay him a lot more than the blunts can offer if its about the wages

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Smacks of either Carlos or the Chairman sulking, and burning all our bridges with George.

I don't think it's CC either. All on DC this one.

It's utterly mindless to go nuclear on negotiations and prevent him from playing with almost a year on his contract to run. As you say, it just burns our bridges with the lad and practically guarantees a new contract won't be signed.

It smacks of " Look at me , my Dads the great legendary David Hirst' David Hirst was a legend at one club only and not nationally lets not forget that fact. If the lad had been called john Smith this wouldn't have made 5 pages. Great legends don't turn the back on the club that made them one.

3 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

You aren't going to have shots on, or off, target if you simply aren't creating the chances. That's where our problem lies.

Playing Hirst isn't going to be a solution to that.

You never know he might actually go for goal rather than passing the buck. Also Rhodes has been in enough goal scoring positions to have scored a significant number of goals this season but his finishing has been woeful, same applies to Fletcher. We were credited with 10 shots the other night but only two on target, including one penalty. However, you have a point in questioning the quality of the service particularly from set pieces IMO.

37 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I can't see where the similarity is,

McGugan played for the first team and then for some reason wasn't required (possibly didn't suit the style of play, no one really knows). Hirst and the club have fallen out over his contract, again no one really knows why.

The only similarity is no one knows the true story of either player.

So both players frozen out of the team and made to train at home away from the rest of the players, both players not allowed to play any games at any level, both players not allowed to go out on loan, both players had a fall out with the manager, both players will end up plying their trade elsewhere - nah you are right I cannot see any similarities either.

3 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

It smacks of " Look at me , my Dads the great legendary David Hirst' David Hirst was a legend at one club only and not nationally lets not forget that fact. If the lad had been called john Smith this wouldn't have made 5 pages. Great legends don't turn the back on the club that made them one.

David Hirst is looking after his son - sorry mate but I do not see anything wrong with that, if because he has done that he is no longer a club legend and I am telling you are wrong. To anyone around my age which is approaching 40 this guy along with Waddle, Sheridan, Walker, Pearson are all club legends.

If they put their family before football clubs looking to get what ever they can from them, for a cheap as possible then good on both Hirsts for standing up to them.

I note Atty '2 goals in two years' Nuihu got a 2 year deal out of the club for basically sitting on the bench and Alman 'broken body' Abdi is on reportedly £20k to 25k a week. I think £3-5k for a very exciting prospect on a 3-4 year deal is not a big ask but our club do not value players until they are over 30, you only have to look at the number of journeymen in our squad for that.

It's quite possible/likely that Leicester have indicated what they're willing to pay young Hirsty, maybe he's looking for similar here to renew and we're not willing to go that high?

I do think he's been tapped up, you're not going to cut your nose off to spite your face if you don't have another club to go to.......imo.

It's been handled very badly though(again imo), freezing him out helps no one.

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So both players frozen out of the team and made to train at home away from the rest of the players, both players not allowed to play any games at any level, both players not allowed to go out on loan, both players had a fall out with the manager, both players will end up plying their trade elsewhere - nah you are right I cannot see any similarities either.

Hirst wasn't frozen out of the team, he wasn't in it. From what we are led to believe it wasn't a case of Hirst falling out with the manager, it was him or his agent falling out with the owner over his contract

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

David Hirst is looking after his son - sorry mate but I do not see anything wrong with that, if because he has done that he is no longer a club legend and I am telling you are wrong. To anyone around my age which is approaching 40 this guy along with Waddle, Sheridan, Walker, Pearson are all club legends.

If they put their family before football clubs looking to get what ever they can from them, for a cheap as possible then good on both Hirsts for standing up to them.

That's fine but at least be honest about

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I note Atty '2 goals in two years' Nuihu got a 2 year deal out of the club for basically sitting on the bench and Alman 'broken body' Abdi is on reportedly £20k to 25k a week. I think £3-5k for a very exciting prospect on a 3-4 year deal is not a big ask but our club do not value players until they are over 30, you only have to look at the number of journeymen in our squad for that.

Is that the figure that Hirst,Hirst and Doyen asked for ?

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

First I never said that a father shouldn't look after is son. How many other youngsters probably treated in the same way ever made it to 'Owlstalk' in the manner this one as.. I would say not many. You have stated a couple of 'facts' regarding wages etc. May be true maybe not. How do you know that both son and father haven't held the club to ransom. Putting the family first and holding their employers to ransom are two totally different things.What would all the other youngsters be feeling along with their fathers. Strange most if not all of them have signed contracts, but then again there fathers weren't  legends at Sheffield Wednesday.

Whether right or wrong, plenty on here have seen Hirst jnr play  and he is no where near ready for first team football. That says a lot doesn't it.

Not being awkward, but what as the first players to do with Hirst jnr's situation.

We have had plenty of journeymen over the years I''ve been watching Wednesday. This isn't just confined to the current set up.  At the end of all this , we can all speculate as to what as gone off, but does anyone outside the Hirst family know. Doubt it.

The club should have had this sorted a long time ago. Now he has premier league clubs sniffing why would he sign for the Owls with a manger who is stuck in his ways who likes playing ageing players and with 3 strikers already on more than £30k a week. 

14 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

David Hirst always has been, and obviously still is a very ‘hands on dad’, I well recall him and George having kick abouts on the Brunsmeer ground when George was nowt but a nipper. His son comes before his ex employers, this seems about the correct order of things to me.