George Hirst Saga..

2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

He'll get offered what he wants at several Premiership clubs.

Are they stupid, or are we cutting or noses off to spite our faces ?

That's fine, as long as we get a good deal too.

£2m + add on's coming to a Possible £10m.

At 19 yrs of age he can go to the top or finish up at Worksop town.

47 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Think George will go abroad meaning  we will miss out on compensation 

The compensation will still be in place, even if he goes abroad. We have offered a contract, that is the most important thing. It means we will get compensation now, whether he signs for us or not. It's why we will NOT sell him in january, no matter what the bid is.

FIFA transfer regs - page 18-19

watched the interview nothing new really 

except - i always scoffed at this as impossible but the nightmare scenario of the other lot getting promoted with cast offs after buying our most promising cast off for pennies 

the incompetence around player recruitment  just keeps on coming even extending to our own youth

3 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Once the bids from PL teams had been received the club had two viable options; (1) accept a bid or (2) tie the lad down to a contract that was competitive with the offers received.

Either choice would have been logical, take the cash or take the risk with the bigger contract hoping that he continued to progress but knowing many young lads dont.

For reasons unknown they decided to take the unviable option of not taking the cash, not offereing the competitive contract and not playing him.

However much it is debated on here I doubt we will ever know what he has been offered

45 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

I was with my son, didn't mean I would hold any potential club ransom to sign him which looks very likely what is happening here. Again something blown up totally out of proportion. Lets talk about some of the other youngsters. Im glad you said, ex, maybe you wouldn't be so keen to say that if he was still an employee.

A bit of a fact about the current youth set up, a guy i work with has a family member in the youth set up and he is currently playing in development team and the contracts being offer to the youth players are a complete joke for players at Championship teams. All of the lads up for renewal have not signed anything and are waiting for the summer to move elsewhere. This is the team that won the youth league last season as well.

Wildsmith nearly left this year before signing a 5 year deal after the initial few offers, none of the current youth squad are signed up on long term deals all end either this year or next, Thorniley, Clare and Stobbs out on loan are all able to speak with clubs in January the first two doing very well by the reports as well, Hirst we know about only.

The club don't value youth the way they do the older squad players who don't play that they have offer 2 or 3 year deal when clearly they will play bit parts at best.

So youth players who could be our future or they never make the grade but we will never know because 2 goals in 2 years Nuihu is ahead of Hirst, The prolific Wallace and Boyd who has not played yet is ahead of Stobbs, Fox and Pudil who don't play before a left winger but Penney does not get a chance, then when we had no center backs did we play O'Grady or Thorniley no we played an unfit left back there in Pudil.

If you are a youth player with our club would you be signing for them or going elsewhere to where youth players are valued. I don't think the issue with Hirst is as much about money as it is about having no chance to progress into the first team.

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

When he leaves for a nominal fee, it won't sit right with me.

We've signed some total cockcheese over the last 3 years. All on high wages, half of them paid to sit at home not even making the team. The majority have little or no resale value. 

In Hirst we have a young striker, with huge potential. A young striker produced by us, with Wednesday in his blood and dna.

Have we done all we can to keep him, or has somebody running the club allowed their inexperience to lead to another mistake ala the kit etc ?

I think the latter, and its pretty poor. I'd take a gamble on Hirst over 6 of the thirty somethings stealing a living from us anyday.

Very disappointing.

fans of my age will rember a young striker we had in the early 1970's, David Sunley, who attracted the interest of Southampton, then in the 1st Div,and offered £100k, a lot of money then, after 1 season in the 1st team and scored a few goals.

We turned it down and, sadly, he went down hill after his 1st season. He was full of potential then but did not live up to that potential.

It is a gamble with any player, for me, take the money +add on's .

6 minutes ago, steelowl said:

watched the interview nothing new really 

except - i always scoffed at this as impossible but the nightmare scenario of the other lot getting promoted with cast offs after buying our most promising cast off for pennies 

the incompetence around player recruitment  just keeps on coming even extending to our own youth

He's turned the contract down

8 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Once the bids from PL teams had been received the club had two viable options; (1) accept a bid or (2) tie the lad down to a contract that was competitive with the offers received.

Either choice would have been logical, take the cash or take the risk with the bigger contract hoping that he continued to progress but knowing many young lads dont.

For reasons unknown they decided to take the unviable option of not taking the cash, not offereing the competitive contract and not playing him.

But didn't even send him out on loan till january then we would have know one way or the other and had he come back and still not signed but scored a shed load of goal he would have been worth more to us at tribunal.

Look at Jone Stones sold by Barnsley to Everton for £3m + 17.5% sell on clause. 3 years later Barnsley received £7.5m on the sell on when he moved to Man City for £50m

Surely if the offer was not to be increased, take the £2m from Leicester but insist on a 20% sell on clause and either way we win, he makes it big sell on money, he does we have £2m for a rubbish player.

6 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

However much it is debated on here I doubt we will ever know what he has been offered

This^^^^^^^^^^ or what as been said between club and player.

2 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I dont suppose we will or should...but simply once bids of £2m are received for a trainee player then financially for the club and for the player they cease to be just another of the trainees. You cannot just go on as you were before and it was the club that had the choice to make...take the cash or agree the new contract.

9 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

That's fine, as long as we get a good deal too.

£2m 

We spunk 2 million up the wall in transfers and wages in 6 months.

Hirst has the potential to play for us for years and years.

I'd take a small risk on Hirst over a Boyd or a Matias every day of the week.

• Thanks 1

Natural goal scorers do not come cheap and the lad can certainly do that. there is interest in him from other sources which indicates he has something. I have no idea what has gone on in contract negotiations.

In the Ask The Chairman feature DC does indicate he asks CC about length of contract and if he wants the player. This indicates if CC had said bext thing since sliced bread the wage or contract length would not have been an issue. We have not bought any real youth into club (Joao think youngest) despite multitude of transfers and we have a coach who loves experience.

Personally having a head coach with same agent which runs scouting system is not great. With GH having same agent it gets even more complex.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, room0035 said:

David Hirst is looking after his son - sorry mate but I do not see anything wrong with that, if because he has done that he is no longer a club legend and I am telling you are wrong. To anyone around my age which is approaching 40 this guy along with Waddle, Sheridan, Walker, Pearson are all club legends.

If they put their family before football clubs looking to get what ever they can from them, for a cheap as possible then good on both Hirsts for standing up to them.

I note Atty '2 goals in two years' Nuihu got a 2 year deal out of the club for basically sitting on the bench and Alman 'broken body' Abdi is on reportedly £20k to 25k a week. I think £3-5k for a very exciting prospect on a 3-4 year deal is not a big ask but our club do not value players until they are over 30, you only have to look at the number of journeymen in our squad for that.

Assuming he wants £3 - 5k; does anyone outside of the club really know?

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

David Hirst always has been, and obviously still is a very ‘hands on dad’, I well recall him and George having kick abouts on the Brunsmeer ground when George was nowt but a nipper. His son comes before his ex employers, this seems about the correct order of things to me.

Absolutely just as the club put it's overall interests first. It's just business.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
11 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

We spunk 2 million up the wall in transfers and wages in 6 months.

Hirst has the potential to play for us for years and years.

I'd take a small risk on Hirst over a Boyd or a Matias every day of the week.

You have a point but I guess it depends on just what the demands are of this young man with great potential but potential nonetheless that might fade as is often the case of young stars. 

My main point is that we just don't know what's really happening.....nor should we.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

7 minutes ago, BIG D said:

He's turned the contract down

I'm not itk about the figures 

if he's been tapped up and has already virtually been signed by said tapper then feck him

however if as implied by the interview that the amount offered was not enough and they wont negotiate combined with DC's attitude

I know I would too