George Hirst Saga..

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, cowl said:

Then if it's not vindictive nastiness it's just stupidity to take pre-emptive action over something that his representatives can't possibly state as a fact unless there's already been a contract drawn up for him to sign.

At best it's a threat.

If, big if, his agents have made such a threat I'd expect the club to play hardball back.

5 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

By lack of commitment, I'm talking about not wanting to commit to us by signing a new contract. That's his choice but if he has had his head turned and wants to play elsewhere, the club is entitled to select players who want to be here. 

One could certainly make a point that the club isn't helping itself in achieving a higher fee, but that is a separate debate. And the potential for  reduced fee may be offset by the development by his replacement (is that the Bulgarian lad who's scored a few goals?)

I'm not saying the club is right on this as I don't know enough about the situation but it has clearly taken the stance that it wants to develop players who want to be here

How's it a separate debate? It's the same action (not picking him for games), and it just happens to have a number of different consequences.

3 hours ago, roaminowl said:

It seems to me that Hirst, Hirst Snr and some random blade feel that the wages being asked for are not 'stupid'. The club, however, feels that they are. Hence the impasse.

If you are a Championship club under FFP and a hugely talented but still untested youngster signs with agents who then demand wages on par with established first teamers what do you do?

1 minute ago, Dirkster said:

If, big if, his agents have made such a threat I'd expect the club to play hardball back.

Explain to me how it's hardball?!

We've made him an offer, they've rejected it, we've said we won't budge, they've said they won't budge - that's hardball, and in this case both sides are playing it.

Not picking him for any of our sides makes no negotiating sense whatsoever. You don't return to the negotiating table after a stunt like that. You just cut communications.

If Doyen had pointed out to DC that the club would receive no compensation if Hirst goes abroad, then DC just says 'fine, if that's what George wants', and therefore tries to call their bluff. But, of course, anything can happen between now and next summer when his contract expires, and maybe the lad will change his mind, or maybe the sorts of offers from clubs that he thought would come his way don't transpire, and perhaps he'd only be all too happy to sign the contract offer. Needless to say, none of these possible eventualities will happen now that we've taken the nuclear option of excluding him from selection a full 10 months before his contract is due to expire anyway.

It doesn't sit right with me at all. End of the day, it's still an 18 year old lad who's career/progression is on hold. To freeze him out like this, not even playing for the U23's. 

It'll come back to haunt us this. No one knows the whole story, but George Hirst should be playing regular football regardless of contract breakdowns

33 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

Of course it is. Sign a contract or you’re not playing. 

No it's not. The club has made it quite clear that it wants him to stay by offering him a new (and probably significantly increased) contract. GH won't sign it so the club is at liberty to select players who do want to represent the club for the foreseeable future (accepting that the foreseeable future is only as long as any contract) in order to develop them so they may be good enough for the first team (yes, i know that sounds a bit far fetched given how long it is since anyone came through the ranks apart from the keepers) or command a decent transfer fee.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

Of course it is. Sign a contract or you’re not playing. 

That isn’t blackmail. 

The club pay him (like every player) and have his registration and get to play him/not play him as they see fit. He has no divine right to play, he’s an employee at the end of the day. 

I have no idea who is at fault here. It might be the club, it might be GH and his representatives. Most likely it’s a bit of both and stubbornness has kicked in on both sides. 

But I won’t blame the club for not wanting to waste our development squad game time on somebody who won’t commit to staying with us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

I note Atty '2 goals in two years' Nuihu got a 2 year deal out of the club for basically sitting on the bench and Alman 'broken body' Abdi is on reportedly £20k to 25k a week. I think £3/5k for a very exciting prospect on a 3-4 year deal is not a big ask but our club do not value players until they are over 30, you only have to look at the number of journeymen in our squad for that.

I'd be very surprised if our offer to him is less than this.

I suspect that George has had his head turned by the mega bucks his peers in the England set up :columbo:are receiving

Edited by oldtawnyowl

2 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I was told that Hirst demands are a lot more and i mean well over twice £3.5k a week 

That doesn't surprise me, didn't Notts County pull out of a potential loan deal citing the fact they'd have to pick all his wages up and he'd be the top earner at the club?

Young George does seem to have quite a few spin doctors on here spinning away whilst the club remain tight lipped, so who would you side with, the club who you've followed all your life or an 18 year old lad who looks to have started to believe his own press, no contest for me.

Just now, Eastleigh Owl said:

That doesn't surprise me, didn't Notts County pull out of a potential loan deal citing the fact they'd have to pick all his wages up and he'd be the top earner at the club?

Young George does seem to have quite a few spin doctors on here spinning away whilst the club remain tight lipped, so who would you side with, the club who you've followed all your life or an 18 year old lad who looks to have started to believe his own press, no contest for me.

If the amount i was told is correct id tell not to let the door hit him in arse on his way out i'm afraid 

I think not letting him play is vindictive though 

1 hour ago, Bramhall Owl said:

It's not blackmail. He won't commit to the club so it is choosing to select a player who is committed to the club instead of him 

If this is why its hardly making the lad feel wanted.

I doubt the club would do the same if in negotiations with a key first team player.

Think we should move him on now as soon as we can if not allowing him to play. Not sure either side comes out of this with mich credit.