The Top Six

20 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

While I have to admit I've been impressed by the Blunts (a bit like you might do an impressive turd), I just can't see them having anywhere near enough quality to last the course.

Pashun will only get you so far.

Cardiff for example have the same mentality, but a far superior group of players.

Of the current top 6 I'd only fancy Wolves to stay there.

As has been pointed out before, the same was said about Huddersfield last season. The general view was that they didn’t have the quality or strength in depth to keep a promotion challenge going the whole season. That they’d surprised a few people but would get found out by Christmas. A lot of the things which are being said about the Blunts right now.

I really hope I’m wrong (because the great unwashed will be unbearable if it comes to pass) but I can see them finishing above us. Remember that after they’d done a job on us, they beat a very good Wolves team a few days later. Whatever they lack in quality, they make up for in teamwork. And Wilder has them playing with a huge amount of self-belief and confidence.

Are we getting ahead of ourselves? We had a great win against Leeds, but that was our first win in four. Prior to that it was one 1 out of 9. Until and unless we sort out our inconsistency I wouldn’t put money on us finishing in the Top 6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

As has been pointed out before, the same was said about Huddersfield last season. The general view was that they didn’t have the quality or strength in depth to keep a promotion challenge going the whole season. That they’d surprised a few people but would get found out by Christmas. A lot of the things which are being said about the Blunts right now.

I really hope I’m wrong (because the great unwashed will be unbearable if it comes to pass) but I can see them finishing above us. Remember that after they’d done a job on us, they beat a very good Wolves team a few days later. Whatever they lack in quality, they make up for in teamwork. And Wilder has them playing with a huge amount of self-belief and confidence.

Are we getting ahead of ourselves? We had a great win against Leeds, but that was our first win in four. Prior to that it was one 1 out of 9. Until and unless we sort out our inconsistency I wouldn’t put money on us finishing in the Top 6.

Ile reserve my views until after preston

13 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Pigs played for 75 mins with Wolves down to 10 men. Against us I would say that we gifted them the win with individual errors and bottling it at 2-2. 

It's easy to forget that we've faced most of the current Top Six (form) sides already within the first 10-11 games so while many of these sides won't make the cut our run so far has been arguably the hardest in the league.

Wolves are the only team in the current top 6 who will challenge for automatic imo. We're only 2 points off Boro and if this continues for the rest of the season I agree with Carlos - we'll be going up. Boro, Wolves and Villa are the real competition this year, the rest are pretenders who will be found out eventually. Hull also look dangerous.

Edited by TrueOwl

1 hour ago, Gresh said:

So who out of the current top 6 (Cardiff, Wolves, Pigs, Bristol, Weeds and Preston) will fall by the wayside and make room for us and which other teams?

Expect Bristol City to fall apart - their manager is due 7 defeats in a row like he manages every year.

Do Cardiff, United or Preston have the squad to last the pace? Their managers seem to have the team punching well above their weight.

Leeds, if they play like they did on Sunday every week, they'll be bottom 6 not top 6.

Wolves have a talented squad, be interesting to see how their foreign stars adjust to Sat-Weds-Sat games between now and March.

Think Wolves and Leeds will probably stick around, don't think the rest will. We'll also have to make sure Sunday wasn't a fluke if we are to gatecrash the party as well, otherwise it won't matter who is in the top 6 because we won't be.

2 minutes ago, Greengrass said:

Let's worry about it come March, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Agreed, but it's interesting to note that at this stage last season 3 teams remained in the top 6 at season end and in the prior season it was 4 teams.

We of course eventually crashed the top 6 party in both seasons at the end of the year, but in both seasons the top two teams automatically promoted at season end were all ready in the top 6 at this stage of the season.

3 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

It always makes me laugh when folk say 'they won't be in the top 6 come May'.

Have we all forgotten about what Huddersfield did last season?

But that's not the norm - 99% of unfancied clubs fall away as the season goes on. Chances of seeing another "Huddersfield" are way against the odds - just like another "Leicester" winning the Premier League.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Villa, Middlesborough, Cardiff, Owls and the other two spots up for grabs. Maybe Fulham. 

Its very different rent this year - two seasons ago Hull, Burnley etc were streets ahead. Last season we had Brighton and Newcastle. 

This season Boro and Villa have good sides. I'm not too worried about anyone though. Our destiny is in our own hands. 

Its ra a very competitive league and it will be an exciting season. If we go up then great - our wonderful fans deserve it. 

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

While I have to admit I've been impressed by the Blunts (a bit like you might do an impressive turd), I just can't see them having anywhere near enough quality to last the course.

Pashun will only get you so far.

Cardiff for example have the same mentality, but a far superior group of players.

Of the current top 6 I'd only fancy Wolves to stay there.

There's no question the are playing the' fresh team full of morale in a new division' card well for now 

however come christmas I think the cards and niggles will deplete their squad - let's see how they do then 

you need to be very lucky or have a good size squad to get through the season we learnt that one 

19 minutes ago, djorkaeff said:

Its very different rent this year - two seasons ago Hull, Burnley etc were streets ahead. Last season we had Brighton and Newcastle. 

Agreed. I can’t see any one team dominating.

I reckon there’s 8 or 9 decent (rather than outstanding) teams who could be in contention for any one of the top 6 places. And I think consistency will be key. One reason I’m not massively confident. Because we’re just the sort of team who are capable of beating Leeds one week and dropping points to a relegation struggler the next…….

5 minutes ago, steelowl said:

There's no question the are playing the' fresh team full of morale in a new division' card well for now 

however come christmas I think the cards and niggles will deplete their squad - let's see how they do then 

you need to be very lucky or have a good size squad to get through the season we learnt that one 

I think people tipping them for the top 6 shows a begrudging respect. They beat us fair and square and are where they are on merit.

But as you say, sustaining it is another matter. I personally would be amazed if they made the playoffs come May.

1 hour ago, Brad_owl said:

Can you imagine a play off final against Sheff United?

Would you take that match now to get into the Premier League?

Tough one. 

yes, def - but if youd asked me before leeds game id have prob said the opposite lol

8 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I think people tipping them for the top 6 shows a begrudging respect. They beat us fair and square and are where they are on merit.

But as you say, sustaining it is another matter. I personally would be amazed if they made the playoffs come May.

Under Carlos they wouldn't have a chance of reaching the top six, but it's clear that they have an exceptional manager. Were Tufty here then we'd have a serious chance of top two.