The Top Six

21 hours ago, poite said:

Leeds, Brisitol and Preston will fall away

Cardiff, Wolves and Utd (providing they hang on to Wilder) will stay.

This is the only major worry for our S2 neighbours. He'll probably be on a pittance compared to most Championship managers (including ours) and he will already be in the thoughts of plenty of bigger (but currently struggling) clubs. He's the reason Utd have started so well, no question.

2 hours ago, billyblack said:

i know they arent in the top 6 but what about villa? seem to be making quiet progress.

Say what you like about him, Bruce is a very good manager. My tip for autos, along with Cardiff (Vincent Tan apparently back in love with the club owing to Colin's great start so will probably spend big in January).

10 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Under Carlos they wouldn't have a chance of reaching the top six, but it's clear that they have an exceptional manager. Were Tufty here then we'd have a serious chance of top two.

Totally agree. I just laugh at the people who say they are now backing our manager after Sunday without realising that sort of performance would be the norm with a better manager in charge. Bizarre...

8 minutes ago, Almat said:

Totally agree. I just laugh at the people who say they are now backing our manager after Sunday without realising that sort of performance would be the norm with a better manager in charge. Bizarre...

I'm back on Carlos's band wagon only fell of the back of the horse once and that being the blunts. Emotions got the better of me. He's still the man for the job it's just a matter if we can get momentum earlier this year than the last couple and it's not looking likely. Besides an upheaval now in management in my eyes would be more trouble than it's worth

Edited by The Coorong Owl

14 minutes ago, The Coorong Owl said:

I'm back on Carlos's band wagon only fell of the back of the horse once and that being the blunts. Emotions got the better of me. He's still the man for the job it's just a matter if we can get momentum earlier this year than the last couple and it's not looking likely. Besides an upheaval now in management in my eyes would be more trouble than it's worth

My view is he's holding us back. We all saw what the players are capable of on Sunday, the question asked of Carlos has to be why are these sort of performances so few and far between? 

2 minutes ago, Almat said:

My view is he's holding us back. We all saw what the players are capable of on Sunday, the question asked of Carlos has to be why are these sort of performances so few and far between? 

I can understand why. It's just a gut feel for me. I don't think it would matter who was managing us at this point. A series of bad luck, loss of confidence etc especially mid game changes all the good work done during the week. I just can't see changing the manager being of any use just yet. If we lose the next 3-4 we'll then that's different. Cut throat now with results seen as he's had a decent budget compared to a long list of managers before him. Big month to watch the wednesday play 

The Pigs and Preston are most likely to drop out, Cardiff haven't got great strength in depth so depends on injuries, Wolves will be right up there and Bristol City have a good squad that underachieved last season, so wouldn't surprise me if they were in and around it at the end of the season. The pre season favourites with the bigger squads will climb up there over the winter period as injuries and suspensions kick in. 

As good a start as they have had, I'd be amazed if United lasted the distance. I think Bristol City will drop off as they will inevitably have the massive losing streak that Lee Johnson teams go on. Preston won't last the distance either IMO.

Cardiff and Wolves should. Leeds questionable? You would expect us and Fulham to push on over the next 2 or 3 months.

5 hours ago, woodys said:

see them winning the league the way they have looked lately 

Kodjia's a big player for them. Keep him fit then they'll go close if not end up in the automatics.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

9 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Is it that we were so good against weeds or is it because they were so bad and allowed us to play. They got the tactics wrong like we did against the blunts.

Hopefully another decent run unbeaten will get us back up the league. It's disappointing that we are playing catch up again. 

It could be, yes, but the fact we often struggle against poor, dogged, aggressive teams is another indication of Carlos' failings. We seem to only play well against sides that give us room, like Leeds did, whereas the real promotion candidates tend to blow the struggling sides away. Which is why they are near the bottom of the table, obviously. 

On 04/10/2017 at 13:18, Gresh said:

So not the start we were all looking for but there's still a long way to go.

At this stage last season Norwich, Bristol City and Birmingham were all in the top 6 but didn't go the distance.

At the same stage in the prior season Reading and Birmingham were also in the top 6 but didn't seal the deal.

Currently we're outside of the top six (similar to the prior two seasons) but we made it through.

So who out of the current top 6 (Cardiff, Wolves, Pigs, Bristol, Weeds and Preston) will fall by the wayside and make room for us and which other teams?

Cardiff, the rest will be different IMO. Leeds are two years behind us.

17 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Under Carlos they wouldn't have a chance of reaching the top six, but it's clear that they have an exceptional manager. Were Tufty here then we'd have a serious chance of top two.

For the sake of those who negged or appear confused, Wilder has got a team which is second-bottom in cost to third in the table. I'd say that's exceptional, whether we like it or not.