Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

1 hour ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Playing a dangerous game trying to get players in on the cheap

Sounds like we're hoping Newcastle don't flog Hanley so we can take him on loan last minute, then moving for Harlee Dean in Jan when his deal is down to 6 months

We need a ball winner in the 6 yard box. As we all know, a blatantly obvious flaw in our defense

Don't think there are many clubs if any that could compete or would want to match Hanley's wages.

Reckon it'll be a loan with Newcastle subsiding his wages.

38 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Think it was reported at the time that Boro wanted £5m for Reach and £12m for Rhodes. We ended getting them at £3m and £6m respectively, so you could argue that we wait until the end of the window to pay the lowest amount possible? How true those figures are, we can only guess, but I'm 100% sure we paid less for them late on in the window than we would have done earlier in it.

Where you got those figures from

not having a go but the first time I've heard those been quoted is just now by you.

I haven't really seen any definitive fees quoted but I thought through general reports it's always been 4-5million for reach and 8-10 million for Rhodes

You have both them cheaper 

Edited by fpowl

Just now, fpowl said:

Where you got those figures from

not having a go but the first time I've heard those been quoted is just now by you.

I haven't really seen any definitive feed quoted but I thought through general reports it's always been 4-5million for reach and 8-10 million for Rhodes

You have both them cheaper 

Around the times we signed Reach and Rhodes, Carlos was questioned about the fees involved (based on £5m and £10m respectively in the press) to which he couldn't stop laughing at the prices mentioned and said they were fantasy.

Seen nothing else on Reach, but there was some links posted on here at the start of July when the window opened that suggested we had paid an initial fee of £6m for Rhodes. Might have been Sky Sports, can't remember (think it was in one of the transfer threads). How accurate that is we'll probably never know, but Carlos' reaction to the price tags of both players suggests £5m and £10m are way off.

Sorry I have nothing more concrete pal.

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Around the times we signed Reach and Rhodes, Carlos was questioned about the fees involved (based on £5m and £10m respectively in the press) to which he couldn't stop laughing at the prices mentioned and said they were fantasy.

Seen nothing else on Reach, but there was some links posted on here at the start of July when the window opened that suggested we had paid an initial fee of £6m for Rhodes. Might have been Sky Sports, can't remember (think it was in one of the transfer threads). How accurate that is we'll probably never know, but Carlos' reaction to the price tags of both players suggests £5m and £10m are way off.

Sorry I have nothing more concrete pal.

I saw on SSN yesterday a chart on transfer spending in the championship with a comment on how much is being spent overall. I was surprised to see that we were third highest seeing as we have only signed Boyd on a free. So the £10m next to Sheffield Wednesday on the chart must be the Rhodes deal. No guarantees that SSN are right, but £10m seems to be the figure they are using.

1 minute ago, Tamworthowl said:

I saw on SSN yesterday a chart on transfer spending in the championship with a comment on how much is being spent overall. I was surprised to see that we were third highest seeing as we have only signed Boyd on a free. So the £10m next to Sheffield Wednesday on the chart must be the Rhodes deal. No guarantees that SSN are right, but £10m seems to be the figure they are using.

Saw the same thing and Jim White said we hadn't spent any money this window as he was about to cut to an interview with Carlos, only to have said we paid £10m for Rhodes moments earlier! lol

29 minutes ago, Corneliusreeve said:

Don't think there are many clubs if any that could compete or would want to match Hanley's wages.

Reckon it'll be a loan with Newcastle subsiding his wages.

Totally agree. Only PL clubs would match them and if he was PL standard he'd be playing for Newcastle. He's obviously a millstone around their neck and with a five year contract a very costly one at that. Unless they want to pay him for not even sitting on the bench they will have to send him out on loan or reduce the fee considerably. Presumably he'd expect a wage rise if he left and at least another four or even five year contract. Far too expensive to buy IMO, there's got to be better value out there. 

1 hour ago, Flat Owl said:

This is what boils my p1ss about the EFL and is likely to have been commented on before - 

but in order for all 24 teams to have a chance to compete on an equal basis then surely the 13M FFP cap must be increased to what ever the highest parachute payment is of the relegated premier teams, which I understand is 40M per year?

Until that happens, the division is clearly rigged to aid newly relegated teams and nobody is doing anything about it apart from seek to punish those that dare to try to maintain some sort of parity.

I agree that the financial inequality between the relegated premier clubs & the established championship clubs is absolutely ridiculous.

However allowing the Championship clubs to lose £40m per year or £120m over the 3 year period would be financial suicide & unsustainable. It would be much better if the Premier clubs parachute payments were limited to the current EFL £13m. I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen though, the greed & fear of failure in the Premier will see to that.

4 minutes ago, mogbad said:

I agree that the financial inequality between the relegated premier clubs & the established championship clubs is absolutely ridiculous.

However allowing the Championship clubs to lose £40m per year or £120m over the 3 year period would be financial suicide & unsustainable. It would be much better if the Premier clubs parachute payments were limited to the current EFL £13m. I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen though, the greed & fear of failure in the Premier will see to that.

Perhaps MB, there is some middle ground - 25M?

lol

21 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

If I was guessing I would say that 10 million is the absolute most it could get to with payments depending on appearances/ goals and a really big chunk dependant on us getting to the premier.

I would expect 6 million ain't far off for the initial payment as I don't think we would have paid anymore.

We signed Winnall which meant signing Rhodes was not a must do and we wouldn't have done it unless we thought it was a good deal.

Equally Rhodes must have taken a cut in wages as well 

10 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

If 200 super models sat naked on your lap.

You looked at all of them.

made a couple of tentative chat up lines on a few to find out how much they would cost you

But failed to make a concerted effort to land any of them.

Would that make you desperate or the coolest Billy in town? lol

I'd be a bit wortied :duntmatter:

16 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Sky are just guessing. Carlos suggested we didn't pay 10m for Rhodes. 

6-8m seems more sensible and who knows how that is structured. 

£10m will be based on X amount of goals and us winning promotion, down payment will probably somewhere between 6 & 8M.

15 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Perhaps MB, there is some middle ground - 25M?

lol

Perhaps, but the Premier clubs wouldn't agree. Plus £25m a year could leave us £75m in debt after 3 years if we don't reach the promised land. That's about three times the amount that nearly saw us liquidated before Milan saved us.

That's ok if DC wants to keep covering it but if the Premier dream doesn't materialise DC could decide enough is enough & stop putting money in. The quality players will eventually leave & we'll be back to the old days of relegation dog fights. It took years for the club to find a buyer when we had a £25m debt, I dread to think how long we'll have to suffer while DC looks for a buyer if we had a £75m debt.

37 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Is Hanley actually any good?

I've never seen him play and many  on here say he's overrated 

He's not 6million ++huge wages good IMO. 

He's strong, both in the air and the tackle, he's certainly the dominant type of player many are after. But his turning is that of a lwb transit and I'm in no way convinced his distribution is any better than Lees' (something I really think we could do with improving from the back).

With his lack of first team action he's lost his confidence at Newcastle, whereas when he was firing on all cylinders at Blackburn, he appeared quite the beast at the back.

So in summary, I'd say he is a good strong CB at this level, he'd give us aerial presence and leadership; however he's far from a cultured ball playing defender.

52 minutes ago, mogbad said:

The only sensible fix I can see, is for owners to be forced to place funds in holding to cover losses.

A bit like the rental deposit scheme. Independent third party, allows the owner to run up £20m of losses with the money set aside to cover it.

It'd probably discourage a lot of them from getting clubs into debt if they were having to part with the cash themselves.

21 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

So you don't know what was paid but are saying we "ended up getting them for £3m and £6m" as if it's fact. This website suggest the fees were £5.02 for Reach and £9.95m for Rhodes.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/transfers/verein/1035/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Thought it was pretty well known now that  Rhodes was £8m over 4 years.