Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

6 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I mentioned this about 10 days ago and got slated for being negative. Go figure

You've been done by the Owlstalk happy clapper clan! Ye, its bizarre. We have 7 strikers and yet we are massively under-covered at centre half.  Given that 2 out of the 3 who can play there are injury prone makes it even more strange. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us in the first few games of the season. 

Obviously we're finding it a challenge to land one CB, the one we are all pretty much agreed on needs to be able to walk in to our starting 11 and improve us.

I'm wondering this morning if one CB is now the limit of our aspirations and not two as previously touted? Given CC's quote about having reviewed over 200 possibilities you can just about rationalise none of them matching our first choice criteria but surely some of those were suitable for that 2nd CB target, the one that can be 4th choice cover, the one that in an ideal world would be a talented young prospect but could equally be a steady old head.

Edited by Morepork

24 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

You've been done by the Owlstalk happy clapper clan! Ye, its bizarre. We have 7 strikers and yet we are massively under-covered at centre half.  Given that 2 out of the 3 who can play there are injury prone makes it even more strange. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us in the first few games of the season. 

I don't think anyone is saying we don't want/need another centre back.

Just that the three we have are more than capable if we don't have anyone in by the start of the season.

51 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

I don't know and I'm not saying it's a factually correct. 

I've never claimed to know what we paid I'm just pointing out comments like "we ended up getting him for £6m" without any evidence is just nonsense. 

Some on here claim with almost religious belief that they know £6m was the fee. It appears Boro have told a completely different story.

Edited by Geoffrey

5 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Some on here claim with almost religious belief that they know £6m was the fee. It appears Boro have told a completely different story.

I'd say the truth, as is usually the case sits somewhere between the two. Both clubs putting a slightly more favourable spin on things from their own ends.

This is getting boring and I'm starting to worry now. Season starts next week...

admittedly I've had a couple of sherberts but I was really hoping for two 1st team centre backs to be bedded in, a new attacking 352 formation and a smart new kit as centrepiece of our spectacular 150th celebrations..

feeling tinpot

1 hour ago, Fuzzy logics said:

This is getting boring and I'm starting to worry now. Season starts next week...

admittedly I've had a couple of sherberts but I was really hoping for two 1st team centre backs to be bedded in, a new attacking 352 formation and a smart new kit as centrepiece of our spectacular 150th celebrations..

feeling tinpot

We will all be dancing on deadline day. 

Wait and see.

:stuwinky:

1 hour ago, Fuzzy logics said:

feeling tinpot

It is a bit odd...

I mean I stick up for the club as much as possible, but the silence is pretty deafening in some respects. 

Sure the center back issue is simply one of not being able to find the right player for the right price. I don't think for one minute that the club aren't trying to bring someone in. 

As for the kit: No idea what is going on there. 

We have been playing in last year's away strip this pre-season, haven't we? 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It is a bit odd...

I mean I stick up for the club as much as possible, but the silence is pretty deafening in some respects. 

Sure the center back issue is simply one of not being able to find the right player for the right price. I don't think for one minute that the club aren't trying to bring someone in. 

As for the kit: No idea what is going on there. 

We have been playing in last year's away strip this pre-season, haven't we? 

Yeah we have and a kit Carlos made himself or something.

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Very weird. 

Must admit the lack of a new kit is strange to say the least mate. Its our 150th birthday you would have thought the club would have wanted the kit out as early as poss to maximise sales and income, yet a week before season kicks off and nothing. 

If ever there was a time you'd like to see Mr Chasiri deliver on his promise to do all he can to get us promoted this is the time you'd like to see him dig deep and get a CB of proven quality in. If we are serious about promotion then a good start is critical and we can not go into a new season still looking for players.

We are one player short of a quality squad, for the sake of one CB lets not balls this up.