Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

8 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

This is getting boring and I'm starting to worry now. Season starts next week...

admittedly I've had a couple of sherberts but I was really hoping for two 1st team centre backs to be bedded in, a new attacking 352 formation and a smart new kit as centrepiece of our spectacular 150th celebrations..

feeling tinpot

Me too

That would have been great

6 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Must admit the lack of a new kit is strange to say the least mate. Its our 150th birthday you would have thought the club would have wanted the kit out as early as poss to maximise sales and income, yet a week before season kicks off and nothing. 

Two birds with one stone....sign Kit Symons as CB.

8 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I don't think anyone is saying we don't want/need another centre back.

Just that the three we have are more than capable if we don't have anyone in by the start of the season.

That is certainly my view.

In the 26 games to the next window, if we have played the following CBs then I for one would be very happy...

Lees 22

Loovens 15

Hutch 15

OK if one of the three is out for months, or if two are out at the same time, we have a problem. But even then, a couple of games for Pudil here and there is not a disaster in extreme circumstances.

But this would certainly require excellent management. Hutch and Loovens would have to be looked after and swapped when one feeling it a little. not one of the three should even be on the bench, let alone the field, v Chesterfield.

I know some will clamour for Hutch to be CM. Well we are where we are. If we start the season with hutch,Loovens and lees then it would be suicide to see Hutch play in games where he is not needed at CB. We have an army of CMs.

4 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Few Bristol City fans seem to think Aden Flint could be leaving them today 

It's getting to the stage where I'm considering Flint as not the worst signing in the world

Flint, whose distribution is worse than Loovens' and has the turning circle of a taxiing 747

FFS. I'm not being funny but if Flint is the best we can sign knowing we've needed a top class CB for the last year to replace Loovens' aging legs, after supposedly looking at 200 CB's... then I've got to ask where our scouts have been spending most of their time... Sunday League footie? A old folks' home? 

Just now, StudentOwl said:

It's getting to the stage where I'm considering Flint as not the worst signing in the world

Flint, whose distribution is worse than Loovens' and has the turning circle of a taxiing 747

FFS. I'm not being funny but if Flint is the best we can sign knowing we've needed a top class CB for the last year to replace Loovens' aging legs, after supposedly looking at 200 CB's... then I've got to ask where our scouts have been spending most of their time... Sunday League footie? A old folks' home? 

Forget Flint, let's just get Dan Burn from Wigan. Towering CB, great in the air, plenty of Championship experience and a lot cheaper. Player of the year in a poor Wigan side, who to be fair, didn't concede that many goals. 

Burn, Mulgrew for as cheap as possible. Sorted. 

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Forget Flint, let's just get Dan Burn from Wigan. Towering CB, great in the air, plenty of Championship experience and a lot cheaper. Player of the year in a poor Wigan side, who to be fair, didn't concede that many goals. 

Burn, Mulgrew for as cheap as possible. Sorted. 

Were they in the list of 200

24 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Owlstalk, while they were planning for Carlos replacement if we don't go up, and well, its the best place to find a football manager isn't it lol

Guest wilyfox

Of all the expensive centre-halves mentioned, Flint is the one I'd avoid. We need a leader, an organiser. Flint is part of an awful Bristol City defence. People like him because he's very tall and scores quite a few with his head, but he can't defend. Waste of money. 

17 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Had to laugh at the end 200 defenders comment, what league were we scouting the bloody unibond.

Mental or what. Say thats 4 a club. Thats 50 clubs, two leagues. We cant find a suitable CB in that lot. Joke

14 hours ago, Mishowl said:

So you don't know what was paid but are saying we "ended up getting them for £3m and £6m" as if it's fact. This website suggest the fees were £5.02 for Reach and £9.95m for Rhodes.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/transfers/verein/1035/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Did you skip the bit where I said "We'll never know the figures paid"?

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

If ever there was a time you'd like to see Mr Chasiri deliver on his promise to do all he can to get us promoted this is the time you'd like to see him dig deep and get a CB of proven quality in. If we are serious about promotion then a good start is critical and we can not go into a new season still looking for players.

We are one player short of a quality squad, for the sake of one CB lets not balls this up. 

He looked to be pondering a massive bid for a quality CB whilst having a *** next to the bridge last night

9 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

We will all be dancing on deadline day. 

Wait and see.

:stuwinky:

Missing the point, signing a few players at the start of September isn't the solution...they will have missed all preseason & almost the first 1/4 of the season by the time they know the team. I'm confident we'll be reet but no communication, no celebrations, no commercial activity, no kit,  etc. is poor and is beginning to make fans question how the club has been managed this summer.

Edited by Fuzzy logics

So, we know that central defenders are difficult to sign, what about a quick winger? A midfielder with energy to get up and down the pitch? Then there is competition for both full back positions, that some say we need, are they all proving to be equally elusive? All we've done so far, is add one player, albeit a good one, who would not have been on most people's list of priorities. 

Maybe Carlos had different priorities, but even he said, he wanted 4 or 5 players in, and he wanted them in early.

Last summer's recruitment failed to address most of the areas we needed to address, and probably cost us promotion.

Is there not a very real danger that we might make the same mistake again?