Getting in without paying

2 hours ago, one day said:

Back in the day when turnstiles weren't as sophisticated I used to squeeze up to my mate as he paid (just for himself) and then as soon as you got through the other side did a runner. Only at away games I hasten to add.

Your not a Liverpool supporter are you ?

Used to get complimentary tickets for Bramall Lane as a kid. The Chief Steward, Norman, used to live opposite us, and let us have them. Plus my Mum worked behind the bar at United's Social Club.

Stopped going after they refused to pay me to watch though.

I was forever on my transistor radio anyhow wondering how Wednesday were getting on away from home. Was never that interested in Woodward and Currie etc. Give me Brian Joicey and Mick Prendergast any day.

3 hours ago, prowl said:

I lived on Penistone Road as a kid. My best mate and I used to go to Hillsborough when there was a match on and wait until they opened the gates to let people out. They usually did that about 15 minutes before the end so we got to watch the last quarter of an hour for free.

Ex Vere rd myself. Those were the days !  Remember getting in for then last 15 on the Lepp when Ken Knighton scored against Bolton.

best free 15 minutes I've ever had !

Edited by quinnssweetshop

Guest Dingle.
7 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Your not a Liverpool supporter are you ?

Its called jibbing in, Manchester & Liverpool fans do it all the time, take a look at the Away ends when they play on TV you can't see a gangway because everyone is stood in them, ticket snatching happens at their away games too. 

like most people in the 1980s when I first started watching Barnsley my granddad used to just lift me over the turnstile, My old man used to run a boozer in 80s at your place, the fire door used to open on the right hand side of your home end behind the net,  at 14-55 everyone in the boozer used to exit through the fire door and into the ground so they didn't have to pay. 

Wycombe away in the mid-2000's - was on Sky, we won 2-1. Turned up hoping to POTG, arrived early as expected a queue for tickets, and a gate next to the away end was open, so we went in, hid in the sh*tter for 40 mins until the turnstiles opened, and casually walked into the stand.

Saved £20 each which was wisely spent in a boozer back in London!

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Used to get complimentary tickets for Bramall Lane as a kid. The Chief Steward, Norman, used to live opposite us, and let us have them. Plus my Mum worked behind the bar at United's Social Club.

Stopped going after they refused to pay me to watch though.

I was forever on my transistor radio anyhow wondering how Wednesday were getting on away from home. Was never that interested in Woodward and Currie etc. Give me Brian Joicey and Mick Prendergast any day.

Only way they could get anyone to watch them.

11 minutes ago, Dingle. said:

Its called jibbing in, Manchester & Liverpool fans do it all the time, take a look at the Away ends when they play on TV you can't see a gangway because everyone is stood in them, ticket snatching happens at their away games too. 

like most people in the 1980s when I first started watching Barnsley my granddad used to just lift me over the turnstile, My old man used to run a boozer in 80s at your place, the fire door used to open on the right hand side of your home end behind the net,  at 14-55 everyone in the boozer used to exit through the fire door and into the ground so they didn't have to pay. 

Oakwell was always a lottery in the early 80s going down that long lane that narrowed towards the bottom and hence a massive crush. There was always loads getting dragged up the wall; under the fence. More from a safety reason than avoiding paying.

As for the lane never have to pay,     When I was eight I got taken to watch the Blades (believe this is when we were playing Everton and we lost 1-0)  for my birthday by one of my friends at the time.    The other two times the company where my Dad worked were sponsering the match or when my mum was a childminder one of the mums company were sponsering the match.       I would not pay to watch United play.

8 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I was there when the gates were pushed dwon at Saltergate and we all got in for free.   Great atmosphere on the Cross Street end but it turned sour when we lost.

Did this happen at Mansfield as well or is it my bad memory getting em mixed up? Seem to think it was an early season cup game?

3 minutes ago, MrsHall said:

Did this happen at Mansfield as well or is it my bad memory getting em mixed up? Seem to think it was an early season cup game?

Never missed us at both grounds and can only remember it happening at Saltergate. For the FA Cup game in 1993 I bought a ticket off one of Mansfields apprentices and found myself sat with their players wives and families. Still cheered the goals though. Shirtliff and Sheridan I think.

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Never missed us at both grounds and can only remember it happening at Saltergate. For the FA Cup game in 1993 I bought a ticket off one of Mansfields apprentices and found myself sat with their players wives and families. Still cheered the goals though. Shirtliff and Sheridan I think.

Cheers, must have been Chesterfield, this was late 70's? Can remember those big gates going and what a laugh it was at the time. UTO.

I was once paid for twice at millmoor, years ago. My friend was in front and paid for me. I didn't know so paid for myself. Was quite a while before i found out.  Couldn't remember which turnstile it was, and the cheating turnstile operator would have denied it anyway. 

Don't think I've ever got into footy for nowt. A Scunthorpe season ticket holder used to give me his book if he couldn't go. Suppose everyone does that. 

3 hours ago, french paul said:

Easy just ask a share holder to take you in, South stand best seats, those were the days. It was 1970's

Yup...my Uncle George used to take me to home games 71-73ish...not sure about the 'best seats' bit tho....can you remember the really old guy with the uncredibely high shrill voice...always piped up when it was really quiet?!!...(which was quite often!!)