Getting in without paying

2 hours ago, Dingle. said:

Its called jibbing in, Manchester & Liverpool fans do it all the time, take a look at the Away ends when they play on TV you can't see a gangway because everyone is stood in them, ticket snatching happens at their away games too. 

like most people in the 1980s when I first started watching Barnsley my granddad used to just lift me over the turnstile, My old man used to run a boozer in 80s at your place, the fire door used to open on the right hand side of your home end behind the net,  at 14-55 everyone in the boozer used to exit through the fire door and into the ground so they didn't have to pay. 

You ought to make it clear that although Liverpool fans were well known for this practice in the 70s and 80s, there is one game where however unlikely, they absolutely did not do it. This has become much clearer as time has passed. There can be no debate about this.

Reminds me of when I was in the queue at Wembley at an NFL game 5 or 6 years ago.

If I remember right pies were £4.50 and a pint about £3.50, anyway this guy in front of me orders 3 pies and 3 pints handing over £30 he received his food, beverages and £40 change.  

How the f*** they worked that one out I don't know but as the people they employed seemed to not have much command of the English language it wasn't surprising.

30 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

You ought to make it clear that although Liverpool fans were well known for this practice in the 70s and 80s, there is one game where however unlikely, they absolutely did not do it. This has become much clearer as time has passed. There can be no debate about this.

That's correct ( I'm sure you coughed like I do as I say this)

Guest everydays_wednesday
6 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

My uncle used to lift me over the turnstiles when i started going in the late 60`s so i got in for nowt. Many, many young kids got in the same way back then .

In the modern day  there is a local team who`s fans have found a clever way of getting in for next to nowt. They all buy kids tickets .

Same here in North Stand or should I say the Harry Catterick canteliever stand ....dad used to lift me over the turnstile...happy days especially Owls 5 Man Utd 4 :-)

Crewe away not long after we come out of pl.

team coach stuck in traffic and kept knocking on door asking for spares.

peter shreeves had door opened and gave us 2 - good old shreevesy.

7 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

Years ago late 70s early 80s sneaked into millmoor through a broken fence to watch owls win 1-0 Rodger Wylde scored,  didnt have 80 pence to get in. Any similar stories? 

Mainly by Liverpool fans, ask them about rushing the gates for many years.

Did it for round 15 years, caused a few problems but they mainly get away with it as people aren't allowed to talk about it these day.

It's very rarely mentioned but entirely true that when League football first started being played on Sundays (70s I think) clubs were unable to charge entry. Something to do with Sunday trading which led to supporters paying at the gate for a teamsheet not an entrance fee as such. You bought the sheet (for the same price as entrance price) and were let in. Of course that meant that legally supporters should be able to enter for free if they wanted to and clubs were obliged to provide a "free" door somewhere on the ground. Of course it wasn't easy to find and was moved around but legally there had to be one. I remember as a kid going to a Doncaster game on a Sunday and following this older bloke who knocked on the door where police entered the ground and said, "This is the free door and I'd like entry." We were let in and went past police sitting drinking tea before the match into the ground. We did the same thing at Lincoln and Rotherham I think it was. Wednesday did play a game on Sunday back then (Bristol C?) but they hid the door well. True story!

Edited by sheffix

Me and my mate once got a pair of free tickets in the club shop off of Mark McKeever. He handed them in to a lady in the shop and she asked us if we had a ticket, 'not yet mrs' ... 'ooh thanks!'

A few years back I went to a presentation evening and got talking to a Forest fan who said the company he worked for had a box at Hillsborough. As it happened we were playing them that weekend and he said he couldn't make it and we could have his seats if we wanted. So me and my mate turned up about 15 minutes before kick off and asked in reception if there were any tickets that had been left for us (in the name of my Forest fan mate). There were no tickets left for us but the kind lady on reception recognised the company name and gave us two tickets on them comfy blue seats on south.

Saw the Forest fan a few weeks later and thanked him for the tickets. Turns out he made it all up while pished.

lol 

15 hours ago, Prendo's boots said:

Halifax T away ... no walls just hedges (well for about 2 mins anyway then they got erm 'pruned back'!) Haha!!

Yep I think several hundred got in for nothing that game. Also around a similar time Chesterfield away the gates were forced open and loads piled through. Think there were other games but memory banks not too good these days.  

Dad always lifted me over turnstile when I was a nipper. 

Got in at Barnsley for nowt in 80s when Wednesday fans pushed main gate open.

Last season at Scunthorpe pre season friendly a few of us got in free when one of stewards opened a gate to see how long queue was and when he went back in side he didn't close  it properly and in a flash everyone ran through gate.

Edited by bradowl

Remember once working on turnstiles for one of our local teams & the best non paying entry used to be the Vaulter. They'd run across the road, use both hands against each wall & vault over the old type turnstile. Over before you knew it. Squeezing two through on one click of the turnstile was another trick.