There is a reason for the lack of atmosphere...

I agree it's frustrating and boring to watch and doesn't make you feel like really getting behind the team but it must be a sheffield or Yorkshire attitude that it's just up to the team to get the crowd going. To an extent I can understand this.

The atmosphere at Hillsborough is utterly horrendous and has been for years with the exception of the odd game. 

Wednesday fans just react to what is on the pitch, fans just expect to be given reason to cheer rather than really get behind the team. 

It has got worse as we have got better the mass groaning the minute a pass is misplaced is immediate and the fans have a sense of entitlement. 

Carlos asked for support no matter what tonight but the fans won't do their bit they just expect the team to lift them with the odd flurry of half hearted encouragement.

A stadium full of fans can spur a team on but not at Hillsborough where they just sit playing with there phones and moaning to their mates unless the team is really going for it.

17 hours ago, shandypants said:

If I moan I moan to myself at the match, I don't abuse the players but encourage very loudly. I don't wait for something to happen before I sing, in fact, I sang along every time with the rest of the Kop last night. I also understand how we set up - to state that people don't understand how we set up  is quite arrogant IMHO.  I also understand the idea of support having had continuously had a season ticket for nigh on thirty years and attending since the mid-seventies. Leave it out Tom. 

People should stop accusing their fellow fans of creating no atmosphere. It's down to the tripe that Carlos and the team are serving up. 

If Carlos wants to employ those tactics then he needs to accept that there is a real risk there will be no atmosphere. 

So everyone in that ground last night had a good idea about the tactics on display from both sides did they? Did they f*ck. I know some people like to make out that all fans know as much about football as Carlos and others but in truth they don't. That's not being arrogant that's stating the facts.

Also did Carlos not say that the team needed the fans behind them from minute one? Did they get that? No.

18 hours ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

I agree it's frustrating and boring to watch and doesn't make you feel like really getting behind the team but it must be a sheffield or Yorkshire attitude that it's just up to the team to get the crowd going. To an extent I can understand this.

The atmosphere at Hillsborough is utterly horrendous and has been for years with the exception of the odd game. 

Wednesday fans just react to what is on the pitch, fans just expect to be given reason to cheer rather than really get behind the team. 

It has got worse as we have got better the mass groaning the minute a pass is misplaced is immediate and the fans have a sense of entitlement. 

Carlos asked for support no matter what tonight but the fans won't do their bit they just expect the team to lift them with the odd flurry of half hearted encouragement.

A stadium full of fans can spur a team on but not at Hillsborough where they just sit playing with there phones and moaning to their mates unless the team is really going for it.

dont ever go to old Trafford then.

old folks homes are louder

6 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

So everyone in that ground last night had a good idea about the tactics on display from both sides did they? Did they f*ck. I know some people like to make out that all fans know as much about football as Carlos and others but in truth they don't. That's not being arrogant that's stating the facts.

Also did Carlos not say that the team needed the fans behind them from minute one? Did they get that? No.

A boring match is a boring match a poor performance is a poor performance,don't need Alan Irvine and his coaching badges to see that

On 2/21/2017 at 23:36, shandypants said:

...and it was clearly demonstrated tonight. Our typical style and tactics are boring to watch - they do get us the points more often than not but they are boring. The crowd came alive tonight when we were attacking - why? Because the style and tactics were exciting to watch. We all know that's the case. It's the great big fat elephant in the room.  

I am am so frustrated. It's driving me crazy. 

Me too

Aren't most football crowds the same in Britain though? Its not just at Hillsborough where people sit back and say "Reight I've paid me money now entertain me!" Seems different at the big European clubs, particularly Germany, where the fans generate noise from the beginning. Also there's the other 'elephant in the room' at Hillsborough which is the largely empty West stand/lower Lepp creating a chasm of silence for the most part unless the opposites bring large numbers.

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me that fans remain in the concourse areas behind the stands until the very last minute before kick off whereas in the past there would always be a lot of chanting etc between the two sets of fans prior to kick off as a kind of warm up for the main event. Admittedly, I am an infrequent visitor these days to 'the Palace of football' but I'm always quite disappointed by what goes on before kick off to get the crowd going until the Hi-Ho bit which to be fair only lasts a couple of minutes. If you visit a TV programme as an audience member there's always a warm up act to get the audience in the mood, perhaps the club should be doing more to lift the home fans before kick off to ensure they are up for it from the start, then maybe the team would produce a decent first half display which by all accounts is lacking at the moment. 

(:ph34r:Prepares to be shot down in flames)

Think football in this country has changed a bit last few year. You very rarely get blood and thunder games anymore, not just at Wednesday but all over.

What was once a strong tackle is now a foul, what was once a simple foul is now a yellow card etc. Teams cant play a more physical game anymore otherwise you would end up with 1 or 2 player sent off every week.

We employ a Portuguese coach so no surprise we play a Portuguese style as well. Speaking for myself I was brought up on the British style of football and do find the continental style hard going at times. If we get promoted with this style then fair enough but if not then I wish games were a bit more exciting.

On 2/22/2017 at 06:17, Andoverowl said:

The way we set up at home needs to change, up the tempo and get at the opposites then the supporters will be right behind the team.

It most certainly does. Playing more attacking football with a weaker team last year resulted in 2 home losses. 

We have lost 4 already by parking the bus. Doesnt take a rocket scientist 

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think football in this country has changed a bit last few year. You very rarely get blood and thunder games anymore, not just at Wednesday but all over.

What was once a strong tackle is now a foul, what was once a simple foul is now a yellow card etc. Teams cant play a more physical game anymore otherwise you would end up with 1 or 2 player sent off every week.

We employ a Portuguese coach so no surprise we play a Portuguese style as well. Speaking for myself I was brought up on the British style of football and do find the continental style hard going at times. If we get promoted with this style then fair enough but if not then I wish games were a bit more exciting.

Couldn't agree more with your first statement, Matt. The game itself has become much more sterile than it used to be. I often sit and listen to members of our crowd shouting 'get stuck in', when , to do so invites punishment. The game has changed beyond all recognition, but unfortunately our expectations have not. And please don't think that promotion is going to help. Some of the Premiership games I have seen have been crap as well

Ahhhh.....the days of all standing on the kop when if you didn't get in the ground at a certain time you couldn't get near the back. Agree a lot of people leave it till last minute to get to their seat, atmosphere is pants, last decent one I remember was Brighton in play offs. Hopefully things will change.

On 22/02/2017 at 23:36, TomtheOwl95 said:

Carlos can state what he likes mate. The fact is if you dish up tripe, you ain't going to get enthusiasm. 

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Carlos can state what he likes mate. The fact is if you dish up tripe, you ain't going to get enthusiasm. 

I'll give you another fact, supporting the team means more than just cheering when its all going well. If you are only bothered about the style of play then stay at home and watch the Champions League.

11 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I'll give you another fact, supporting the team means more than just cheering when its all going well. If you are only bothered about the style of play then stay at home and watch the Champions League.

Tell us more, I have only just started going

4 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Who the fvvcck are you to give it that one? I've paid my due as much as the next fan. Don't accuse me of being an armchair fan. I've been watching Wednesday all my life and had a season ticket every year for almost 30 years! If the "95" in your username relates to your year of birth then I have been watching everything at Hillsborough from the sublime to dross before you were born. 

I barely watch football on TV - it doesn't interest me. I haven't personally insulted anyone on here but you might be the first.