Are we hated - If so why ?

3 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I agree with others.  I tend to find people like us.  Traditional old club.  Strong support.  Never - to be honest - good enough for a sustained period to have irritated people.  And curiously enough people tend not to care for our junior neighbours, even though in paler form they tick the same boxes.

On Brighton, I'd distinguish between overexcited and obsessive children on twitter and real people.  The three Brighton fans I know would all say they quite like us.  From their point of view you can see why we might have irritated them, to put it mildy.  Finished some way behind; they were reduced by injuries to ten; then as we were under the cosh a somewhat freaky goal.  But that doesn't seem to have translated into real dislike.

I genuinely have never met a Rotherham supporter so wouldn't have much notion what they think.  A fat Barnsley fan with bad skin and a comedy accent once yelled something at me after a game at Hillsborough which seemed aggressive but to be honest I couldn't understand what he was saying.  That put me off a bit.  I assume that as with a lot of towns the natives are a bit backwards but the diaspora are ok. 

Nothing new there about Roverhum there considering they're in the Grunters back pocket. :columbo:

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Why do we hate United then?

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Why do we hate United then?

I never said its the only reason, just a common one.

49 minutes ago, prowl said:

I lived in Brighton for nearly 30 years and Brighton never had a problem with us. I never had any animosity from their fans and a lot of them knew I was a Wednesdayite.

Probably a good job I left there about 18 months ago. I think it might have been a bit different after the play-offs

Still living here. Spoke to a few season ticket holders at the pub after they semi-final but before the final and they said they'd still prefer we went up. To be fair all the Brighton fans I know here took my cruel, endless taunts in good spirits. 

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I wouldn't put us in Man U, Chelsea,  Man City territory...

But clubs with cash (old and new) and big aspirations tend to generate more antipathy from fans of a more tinpotian disposition

That's the Criteria that likes of Roverhum,Donkey Rovers,The Grunters and The Dingles fall into very nicely.

19 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

Still living here. Spoke to a few season ticket holders at the pub after they semi-final but before the final and they said they'd still prefer we went up. To be fair all the Brighton fans I know here took my cruel, endless taunts in good spirits. 

For the most part their fans are good blokes. I felt a bit sorry for them* with the first leg injuries, a bit of a nightmare to lose so many. The way they set about us in the first half of the second leg I thought they would steamroller us.

* not too sorry though.

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

We do seem to be disliked. 

I'm not sure what it is. I've seen us in people's list of their disliked clubs up and down the country . Even clubs in other divisions that we haven't played for years and have no connection or recent competition with. 

I find it odd.

It's not like we are some monster that has dominated club  football for a century.  

I'd hazard that some  people are jealous of our investment recently...it can't be our success. 

But... I've noticed long before Milan/Chansiri and our climb from the wilderness  that people seem to sneer at us. 

I can maybe see  why other regional sides might dislike us as we are the biggest club in our part of this majestic county. So that's maybe understandable. 

Though myself I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the other Yorkshire sides. 

(With the obvious exception of our Porcine neighbours and L**ds but that goes beyond football!)

First thing I look for after the teams around us in the table is how the other Yorkshire sides have gone on- certainly before I check any top flight results. 

who cares?

27 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

who cares?

Nobody. Certainly not me.

But I was taking a walk the other evening taking in the air when I was approached by an odd chap with a bald head, he was wearing a blue tabard and had a camera with him. "Can I ask a favour mate" he said as he stepped into my path.

He had a desperate look in his eye and at first I thought he was going to ask me for some money and just as I was reaching into my coat to get my cosh out he said "No, no, it's not money. Can you do me a favour and start a thread on Owlstalk on Sunday, its a dead day"

"Why" I asked. "What's it to you?"

"It doesn't matter , please just do it"

"What's in it for me?" I asked.

He looked at me. "You know any musicians?"

"Yes" I said , wondering where this was going "My nephew is in a band. Bloody God awful racket they make"

"Start a thread for me" he said, his face lighting up " Any old guff will do, and I'll promote your nephews band. I'll get them gigs and the lot. I'll get em on Owls in the park".

So that was that really. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Ive worked up and down the country for the last few years and as you do the talk always goes to football. Generally people like us but cant wait to say how much they dislike United.

Might just be being nice but its been too often not to be true.

Different around S Yorks as we are the biggest club and there to be shot at. Fair  enough I never take it personally.

The semi-ironic 'Massive' thing does confuse people though. And some of our own i think too.

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

We do seem to be disliked. 

I'm not sure what it is. I've seen us in people's list of their disliked clubs up and down the country . Even clubs in other divisions that we haven't played for years and have no connection or recent competition with. 

I find it odd.

It's not like we are some monster that has dominated club  football for a century.  

I'd hazard that some  people are jealous of our investment recently...it can't be our success. 

But... I've noticed long before Milan/Chansiri and our climb from the wilderness  that people seem to sneer at us. 

I can maybe see  why other regional sides might dislike us as we are the biggest club in our part of this majestic county. So that's maybe understandable. 

Though myself I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the other Yorkshire sides. 

(With the obvious exception of our Porcine neighbours and L**ds but that goes beyond football!)

First thing I look for after the teams around us in the table is how the other Yorkshire sides have gone on- certainly before I check any top flight results. 

I've never experienced that at all. In fact, most fans of otter clubs I've met have said they look quite favourable upon us. We're the perennial underachievers; the big traditional club that ought to be doing better with proper fans that support their team when they could follow more successful teams. 

On our way ... on our way to the Premier League were on our way!!!!!! Am tellin all the local teams to go f*** ... we are the best in South Yorkshire ... they know it and we know it   The bright lights of the Premier League are a' coming folks... WAWAW

5 minutes ago, pinowl said:

On our way ... on our way to the Premier League were on our way!!!!!! Am tellin all the local teams to go f*** ... we are the best in South Yorkshire ... they know it and we know it   The bright lights of the Premier League are a' coming folks... WAWAW

That's the Spirit.:manager:

Internet definitely plays a big part.

I bet the percentage of Brighton fans who even give us a passing thought is pathetically small, but Twitter and online fans forums develop spats that makes it seem like a much bigger voice. 

Everybody in South Yorkshire hates us because it's a mutual dislike of a common enemy, born from being the regions historically most successful club. We only bother about United. We also don't like Leeds, but that's more of a one way street as they (think) they have bigger fish to fry across the Pennines. 

That just about covers it. I don't believe anything else constitutes a Derby or rivalry and in my experience we are generally fondly thought of everywhere else.