Are we hated - If so why ?

7 minutes ago, WBridgfordowl said:

I've lived and worked up and down the country for the last 25 years and never heard a bad word against Wednesday. There's no love for the pigs that's for sure. Seen as a nasty little club with nasty fans.

Being the biggest club in the area means we'll be unpopular with the little clubs around us, but it's absolute nonsense to say Wednesday are hated anywhere outside radio Sheffield land 

Agree totally with this I live in the south and I've always found it's the pigs that are hated by other fans (Liverpool, Arsenal fans etc).  Most people like Wednesday as a club and have sympathy for me because we're a big club in the wrong league etc.

I think being rubbish for 16 years has helped, if we start becoming a force again people's opinions may change 

:stuwinky:

2 hours ago, ohgoditsjames said:

Pigs, Rovrum, Barnsley, Udders, Leeds, (maybe Chezzy) hate us for sure, not sure about Donny. Brighton fans had a lot of bile to spill over us.

Seen many many positive comments about us from Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United, Stoke,  Spurs, Liverpool, Coventry, Rangers fans.

I think that tells you everything you need to know. We were amongst that so called elite "group" for many years and it impacts the outlook of a club and its fan base. With the exception of Leeds they haven't had any of that and generally speaking it's the natural order of things to dislike something that views itself as bigger and better. 

Barnsley were often viewed as a friendly rival but I think the last week has proven otherwise and given a few in the region an unwanted wake up call.

21 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

He's absolutely on tenterhooks waiting for Sheffield Wednesday PLC or whatever the incarnation was called back then to be prosecuted 

He will be like a kid at Christmas when / if it happens as it probably will IMO the fact that that Company has nothing to do with the present day will matter not to the hateful little bastad 

He couldn't say that the other day because that would probably count as Libel 

Not heard it yet..I was harking back the time about six months ago...will listen to Thursday nights again cos we missed half of it and wanted to hear the rest of the Barnsley fans..

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think that tells you everything you need to know. We were amongst that so called elite "group" for many years and it impacts the outlook of a club and its fan base. With the exception of Leeds they haven't had any of that and generally speaking it's the natural order of things to dislike something that views itself as bigger and better. 

Barnsley were often viewed as a friendly rival but I think the last week has proven otherwise and given a few in the region an unwanted wake up call.

The Barnsley fans I've met, although decent folk have always hated Wednsday..Probably cos there were loads of owls fans in Barnsley in the early/mid 90's.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

7 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Not heard it yet..I was harking back the time about six months ago...will listen to Thursday nights again cos we missed half of it and wanted to hear the rest of the Barnsley fans..

No doubt that Barnsley fans will blame yesterday's 2-0 defeat at Fulham on us tomorrow night at 6pm on FH. :tango:

Down in London, I never meet anyone who has a dislike for us. Most are indifferent and some have a soft spot for us - got a few encouraging messages walking around town on the play-off final day for instance. Outside of Yorkshire I don't think most fans care either way.

We are massively hated in South Yorkshire because we're the biggest and best team with the biggest fanbase.

I'd say we're disliked across the rest of Yorkshire, as Leeds, Huddersfield and Hull don't exactly like us (though I don't think Bradford are particularly bothered). 

But nationwide I don't think we're hated at all, I think there's plenty of respect there. We always get mentioned with Leeds as the "sleeping giants" - but with Leeds fans' reputations we're certainly more widely liked. We've made a few enemies, Charlton and Brighton fans aren't especially fond of us after events over the last 5 years or so but beyond that I'd say we're fairly well liked. Remember how premier league fans groaned when Hull went up instead of us.

32 minutes ago, WBridgfordowl said:

I've lived and worked up and down the country for the last 25 years and never heard a bad word against Wednesday. There's no love for the pigs that's for sure. Seen as a nasty little club with nasty fans.

Being the biggest club in the area means we'll be unpopular with the little clubs around us, but it's absolute nonsense to say Wednesday are hated anywhere outside radio Sheffield land 

Even to their own team. lol

Guest Grez Bez

Everyone hates their bigger brother through jealousy regardless of football or not

Barnsley/ Rotherham hate Sheffield

Sheffield hates Leeds

Leeds hate Manchester etc etc....

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Spot on imo. You only have to look at all walks of life to see that point. N Ireland, Scotland Wales all dislike us why? for no other reason than were the bigger controlling country in a group. Whereas generally we couldn't give a gash about them. They're busy wanting us to fail and we don't even know they're around. 

Just the the same with all the little clubs round us.  More often than its called an inferiority complex.

Everyone hates their neighbours, until someone from further away comes along, then it's where from Yorkshire,sod off, then someone from even further comes along and it's we're northern sod off, then someone from even further comes along and then it's we're english sod off...etc etc.

Barring local sides I don't think we're particularly disliked at all.

i speak to fans of lots of different clubs thru work and don't think most people outside the area are particularly bothered about us to be honest. 

3 hours ago, mike312 said:

I think we're hated locally because we're the biggest club. Leeds hate us because we are a similar sized club and therefore rivals. Other clubs further away such as Huddersfield and Hull probably realise that ultimately we are a bigger club than them too. The Brighton thing is odd, can only be down to last season and their need to generate rivals as they have none (Palace?!)

We have more than our fair share of idiots though who think we're bigger than we are.

I lived in Brighton for nearly 30 years and Brighton never had a problem with us. I never had any animosity from their fans and a lot of them knew I was a Wednesdayite.

Probably a good job I left there about 18 months ago. I think it might have been a bit different after the play-offs

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

I lived in Brighton for nearly 30 years and Brighton never had a problem with us. I never had any animosity from their fans and a lot of them knew I was a Wednesdayite.

Probably a good job I left there about 18 months ago. I think it might have been a bit different after the play-offs

When we ever we used to go work in Brighton 27 years ago,we never had any problem with them whatsoever despite us thumping them 4-0 in a Div 2 mid-week game.:laugh:

I agree with others.  I tend to find people like us.  Traditional old club.  Strong support.  Never - to be honest - good enough for a sustained period to have irritated people.  And curiously enough people tend not to care for our junior neighbours, even though in paler form they tick the same boxes.

On Brighton, I'd distinguish between overexcited and obsessive children on twitter and real people.  The three Brighton fans I know would all say they quite like us.  From their point of view you can see why we might have irritated them, to put it mildy.  Finished some way behind; they were reduced by injuries to ten; then as we were under the cosh a somewhat freaky goal.  But that doesn't seem to have translated into real dislike.

I genuinely have never met a Rotherham supporter so wouldn't have much notion what they think.  A fat Barnsley fan with bad skin and a comedy accent once yelled something at me after a game at Hillsborough which seemed aggressive but to be honest I couldn't understand what he was saying.  That put me off a bit.  I assume that as with a lot of towns the natives are a bit backwards but the diaspora are ok.