Red card - what happened?

To posters saying it was harsh on Hammil.  Whether your "studs are facing the grass" or not, you can't go in to any challenge with 2 feet, he knew exactly what he was doing as anyone who has ever played football will tell you. Definite red card and great spot by the referee to be fair. Even if he did make a dog's dinner of it.

lol

Usual protagonist I know, but how anyone can't see that is the clearest sending off of the year is either on the wind up or blind. 

It was 2 footed; off. But then add in; off the ground, out of control, intent to hurt, the stamping motion, and its as sure fire sending off as you can get. 

I say, let the idiots appeal, and see them get an extra game for it. 

8 hours ago, marconi said:

I was telling those around me it was Tim Robinson, the bloke who sent FF off last year.

I believe he, who obviously officiates with preconceived ideas of players "reputations", will be the ref at Hillsborough on Saturday.

For what it is worth, here is my opinion on this incident. I sit on the Kop, almost bang central, 29 rows up, so it was difficult to see in real time what happened. I have viewed the reply about 20 times and Hutchinson in his normal "I will win" attitude went in hard for the ball. I'm not going to say it was reckless, but it was most definitely hard and committed. You could say there is an argument for him being overly aggressive in the challenge, in so much as his speed to the ball certainly meant any player immediately beyond the ball was no doubt going to get clattered, but that is secondary to Hutchinson who would probably take that as a bonus. I'm sure he wouldn't want to badly injure a player, but if a challenge shakes them up a bit and makes them think...we all know how it works if you have ever played the game.

I'm sure Hammill knows about Hutchinson and knows he can and will make a commitment to a tackle. I think in Hammill's mind he was attempting to play for a foul, knowing that Hutchinson's speed was always going to mean contact, which would probably have resulted in a free-kick in a dangerous area. However the challenge by Hammill was still a dangerous one and was in hindsight an ill conceived idea. I think he was equally trying to say "it's my ball" rather than "enjoy your hospital food" but his actions could have resulted in a serious injury, whereas Hutchinson went in flat and hard. I don't see Hammill as a dirty player though but I don't watch him every week so I don't know (Whitey, any input?). However there is no doubt he left the floor with two feet and came down in a dangerous manner.

If Hammill hadn't raised both feet, it could have easily resulted in a free-kick, and a yellow card for Hutchinson. Maybe even a red card as we know how appalling referees are these days (they do genuinely need help though, but we all know the FA are still living in the dark ages).

I think the referee saw Hammill leave the ground with 2 feet, believed he was acting in a reckless and dangerous manner, and correctly (based on these two things) sent him off. Trying to keep my blue and white specs off while I write this, you may say that on another day Hutchinson could easily have received a yellow card based on that challenge, as players are overly protected these days (maybe rightly so, but a bit too much IMHO).

After watching the replays, I think he got it right. However Mr. Bankes, when issuing a card, please make sure you are looking directly at the player who is receiving the card, rather than waving it randomly in the general direction of any old player. You are after all the person in charge.

5 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

My mate at work happens to be the  Barnsley  defender, Mark Roberts best mate. He spoke to Roberts after the  game and he said Hamill's challenge  was a definite  red card and also commented  that  he was lucky to get away with  a similar challenge  the other week.

Wish my mates at work was the same pal,

I'm only a hour into my shift and fed up of explaining 'why Hutch wasn't sent off' - Even though I would think the question should be amongst themselves 'why did Hammil get red?'

Gonna be a long day, Bore me to tears

No one around me, on the North, would have been surprised if the game had continued with a throw-in. Solid tackle from Hutch, nothing more.

But the videos clearly show Hamill going in two footed. It's a clear red card offence. Credit to the ref for seeing it when 27,000 others didn't. As two footed lunges go, it was pretty tame, but that's irrelevant, they are all dangerous, all out of control, all worthy of a red card.

Utterly confusing at the game - Hutch went in with a great fullblooded tackle (ooh er missis!), and as far as we could see the ref ran over and sent him off. So we went through the "no way, wasn't even a foul" to "surely we can appeal it" to working out which games he'd miss with a 4 match ban.  Didn't really know what had happened until we realised it was a free kick to us and Hutch was still on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, BIG D said:

There is absolutely no chance of that being overturned.

Why would it?

Because I didn't think it was a bad tackle. 50/50. The anger in the crowd was aimed at the referee sending off Hutchinson, not for Hammills tackle.  

I have to admit when I saw it at the time I thought Hutchinson had gone in 2 footed and ref had sent him off correctly.

Eyes not what they used to be as watching the replay was a good challenge.

In todays football Hamill deserved to get sent off, been enough publicity about all 2 footed challenges being red card offences for him to know. 20 years ago would have probably been a yellow but correct decision by the ref even if was confusing at the time what had happened.