Red card - what happened?

Just now, goodytheowl said:

What did he do?

He'd obviously not seen the Barnsley player get sent off, and still thought it was Hutchinson. Pointed at Hammill and basically asked where he was going. Then turned to Hutch, and asked why he was still on the pitch. He was genuinely confused. 

A bit like 27,672 others. 

I thought it was Hutch and most people around me thought the same for about a minute until a guy in front said Hammil's gone. Even the scoreboard had a red card next to Hutch. I thought Hutch was just refusing to leave the field.

Very odd all round.

Just now, SiJ said:

You know you've got a rep when you're own club puts up the red card (on the scoreboard) lol 

I thought that. I think someone has felt tipped it onto the scoreboard to save the bloke behind the screen the effort. 

It took me five viewings to figure out what their lad got sent off for

Hutch sprints in and dives two footed, then bends his knees so his legs stay sideways and on the ground and he makes contact with the ball with his shins

Their lad runs in, jumps so both feet leave the ground completely and he comes in a downwards motion rather than sideways

On first viewing it looks for all the world that Hutch should have walked... but I tell you what, on fifth viewing, I think the ref got that one bang on... and as most on here know, I very rarely have the blue and white specs on

Long way away. Kop end of North. Hutch tackle looked good, brilliant actually. People around said Hutch sent off and put up on scoreboard. But something looked wrong as the referee was surrounded by Barnsley players and subs including sub goalie. Little response from our players. That made me think that Barnsley player sent off. Had he kicked out after the tackle? He clearly pushed Hutch. Heard the comments on Radio Sheff and seen the pics. Did not see the fun on the touchline.

16 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Just seen it and it was ridiculously harsh. 

Both went for the ball, clearly no intent. 

I'd be appealing if I were Barnsley 

Barnsley has never been appealing. Not even you could change that. 

Just seen it. It is hard to tell at first but the key is to look just at Hammill's feet. Definitely jumped in with two feet and definitely a red card.

If you watch the reaction of the players you can see everything you need to know. Hutch is incensed as he thinks he's got a red for a perfect tackle. Lees goes for Hammill because he knows he's tried to put one on Hutch but the most telling is Scowen (6) who is trying to get Hammill out of there because he's spotted the jump as well. Players know.

was right in front of me and I was going ape for him sending hutch off coz it was a brilliant tackle and he took the ball sweet as nut .....must say I didn't notice that Hamill had done owt wrong but the ref was perfectly placed and didn't have any doubts with the speed he got the card out .....it was bad luck for the lad coz he'd got pudil on toast but hey ho never mind .

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

Just seen it and it was ridiculously harsh. 

Both went for the ball, clearly no intent. 

I'd be appealing if I were Barnsley 

44 minutes ago, GoldGigsChris said:

Just seen it and it looks fairly 50-50 to me.

Hammil was off the floor, but both studs were facing the grass, he stayed on his feet and didn't seem to make too much contact with Hutch.

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

was right in front of me and I was going ape for him sending hutch off coz it was a brilliant tackle and he took the ball sweet as nut .....must say I didn't notice that Hamill had done owt wrong but the ref was perfectly placed and didn't have any doubts with the speed he got the card out .....it was bad luck for the lad coz he'd got pudil on toast but hey ho never mind .

Hammill jumped and went in two footed, either to protect himself, or to try to hurt Hutch. Either way, he meant it.