Red card - what happened?

When you see it straight up, not slowed down, its a 2 footed lunge from Hammil and a 1 footed high challenge from Hutch ...

I can see why Hammils was a red, 2 footed lunge - yes he has landed in front of the ball and the player, to stamp both feet in to the ground for footing and support when Hutch comes in with a tackle, however speeded up and based on the laws of the game its a red. Its not as bad as Rojo's challenge which would most certainly have broken someones leg had it made proper contact but was deemed as only a yellow!

On another day, Hutch as well could have seen red, its a high physical aggressive challenge but the referee saw Hammill jump in and went for him instead.

I watched it about 10 times. Every time I watched it, it was a red for Hamill and the ref showed it to Hutch presumably just losing track as he was talking to hutch and obviously men can't do 2 things at once. The right player left the fields, so I guess that's all the matters, but he could have started a riot if he hadn't have clarified if quickly.

Im amazed the referee saw Hamills two footer, it was so fast in real time.

It did look like he (wrongly) wanted to send SH off, then realised and sent the other guy off.

What is funnier is Hammill pushing Hutchinson in the back, complaining at him to get him sent off only for Lees to grab him by the scruff of the neck and drag him away. I'm glad we've wised up to teams getting our players booked and sent off.

Horrible, cowardly challenge.

Hamill knew full well what was coming from Hutchinson, and instead of facing up (or bottling out), went down the cowardice route.

Whether or not he made contact with Hutchinson, is irrelevant. It was an action with intent, that could've caused serious injury. Referee spotted it straight away, and got it spot on...why he showed the card to Hutchinson though, I've no idea!

I sit on row 43 of the North and as soon as it happened, I jumped up shouting "you dirty basket". Was amazed that others hadn't seen it who were closer when it was pretty obvious that he jumped in with the intent of hurting our player. And I tell you what... if he was 1mm further forward, he'd have snapped SH's shin in to fragments. How people on here (vulva!) can defend it is beyond belief.

Confused the hell out of us... Looked like Hutch got a red card for winning the tackle and then the ball was placed for a Wednesday free kick! First time I'd ever seen a free kick awarded to a player who the ref had sent off... Fortunately, after a few moments, it became clear what had happened.

49 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Horrible, cowardly challenge.

Hamill knew full well what was coming from Hutchinson, and instead of facing up (or bottling out), went down the cowardice route.

Whether or not he made contact with Hutchinson, is irrelevant. It was an action with intent, that could've caused serious injury. Referee spotted it straight away, and got it spot on...why he showed the card to Hutchinson though, I've no idea!

This^^^^^^

Whilst lots of articles in the news say two footed challenges are a straight red, there is no actual written rule specifically stating this. It simply falls under serious foul play.

The best explanation I can find regarding two footed challenges is from Howard Webb in April this year...

http://sport.bt.com/video/webb-explains-red-card-rule-for-two-footed-tackles-91364050940442#/float-menu

Basicall, two footed off the ground & only touch the ball it's a yellow. ANY contact with the player makes it a red.

2 hours ago, Stainless1983 said:

Whilst lots of articles in the news say two footed challenges are a straight red, there is no actual written rule specifically stating this. It simply falls under serious foul play.

The best explanation I can find regarding two footed challenges is from Howard Webb in April this year...

http://sport.bt.com/video/webb-explains-red-card-rule-for-two-footed-tackles-91364050940442#/float-menu

Basicall, two footed off the ground & only touch the ball it's a yellow. ANY contact with the player makes it a red.

Seems odd, youd think a straight red would be effective at preventing nasty two footers rather than giving them the excuse of winning the ball.

I think if considered dangerous it can be a red regardless.

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

People are exaggerating a little me thinks. Career ending injury? lol

You mean a two footed lunge on the bloke who has had to retire once already. 

Yep. Can't see why that would be career threatening. 

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have to admit when I saw it at the time I thought Hutchinson had gone in 2 footed and ref had sent him off correctly.

Eyes not what they used to be as watching the replay was a good challenge.

In todays football Hamill deserved to get sent off, been enough publicity about all 2 footed challenges being red card offences for him to know. 20 years ago would have probably been a yellow but correct decision by the ref even if was confusing at the time what had happened.

My eyes are not quite what they were, but I had a good view.  It looked to me as if Hutchinson had gone in hard, but fair and never in danger of doing any harm to Hamill. On seeing this, the referee flashed his card almost immediately in the direction of Sam; at this point in time, Sam (and the rest of us) thought that he had got his marching orders. On the video footage, you can see him gesticulating towards Hamill and lip read him screaming at the referee "It's him, not me" . Amidst the mayhem, the ref eventually manages to locate Hamill and points him towards the dressing room with the red card still in his hand. 

6 hours ago, vulva said:

Because I didn't think it was a bad tackle. 50/50. The anger in the crowd was aimed at the referee sending off Hutchinson, not for Hammills tackle.  

I was the same but seeing the vid Hamill is two footed out of control cos he jumped in Red Card all day long 

Hutch was strong one footed, in control and got the ball perfect tackle 

7 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Seems odd, youd think a straight red would be effective at preventing nasty two footers rather than giving them the excuse of winning the ball.

I think if considered dangerous it can be a red regardless.

I agree, should be easier for the refs. 

On this occassion his momentum resulted in contact with Hutch so it was a red.

It was more or less right in front of me and I was only 3 rows back. Thought it was a bit harsh to be honest, took me ages to find out Hutchinson wasn't sent off. Maybe their player had said something too, but if the photo is anything to go by, perhaps it was the right decision