Sheer cheek

When he scored at Hillsborough during the closure of the kop after the Oldham riot - curran slid in front of the empty kop on his knees.

boxing day massacre when he scored the second goal and ran up to the pigs behind the goal in leppings lane celebrating - wouldn't get away with that now...

8 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

fraid not.  No characters like TC left.  I watched him home and away and he was a joy to watch.   Clever, tricky, cheeky, fast and could handle himself.  You never knew if he was going to score a world class goal, get sent off, argue with the crowd or leave a defender on his bum.   The footage of his fracas with kenworthy at BL says it all, and the interview afterwards. Football was fun then.

That's the problem , the fun has been kicked out by sanitising everything from players actions to what the fans can and can't do so it appeals to people who stick obscene amounts of cash through it . 

I know that many times JJ was let down with his end product and he could be frustrating, but he caused all sorts of problems for opposition defences and was always capable of scoring a worldly. He would get the fans on the edge of their seats and would often sprint 40 yards to make a defensive challenge. 

Regardless of his faults (which in a funny way did us a favor as had he been able to master that end product every time then he wouldn't have been at Wednesday) he played with heart and got the fans excited. You wanted him to get the ball. I wonder how a JJ in his prime would fit in the current squad.

8 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I know that many times JJ was let down with his end product and he could be frustrating, but he caused all sorts of problems for opposition defences and was always capable of scoring a worldly. He would get the fans on the edge of their seats and would often sprint 40 yards to make a defensive challenge. 

Regardless of his faults (which in a funny way did us a favor as had he been able to master that end product every time then he wouldn't have been at Wednesday) he played with heart and got the fans excited. You wanted him to get the ball. I wonder how a JJ in his prime would fit in the current squad.

Thankfully he wouldn't fit in at all. Scores three or 4 a season and did very little else. Funny yes , talented defiantly not 

Brilliant discussions! It was di canio/carbone for me but i'm not sure you can call them legends. I remember as a kid, watching that TC goal over and over again on my dads VHS, one of my all time favorite goals. It was like something from football italia in the 90's.

Nostalgia is great. UTO

Waddle and his little duel with Giggs springs to mind, Waddle played the game the right way. As for now, even tv interviews are carefully choreographed, no more "it's one each now Gazza!"....cardboard cut out footballers.

Can't recall TC being that good to be honest.   We were only a 3rd division club when he signed for us.

Think he left when Gary Bannister joined us.   He didn't seem to get on with Jack Charlton.

He didn't seem to do much good at the Lane, though he later helped Everton win the league.

Prefer Forestieri myself.  

4 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Can't think of many characters in my time watching Wednesday. Dissappeared out of the game since all the money came in. 

Waddle the only one that springs to mind.

Then a few defenders, 

Llera 

Reda 

Bougherra 

Dunno if it's just the money......summats gone wrong inside their 'eads as well.