OFFICIAL - Will Buckley signs on loan

4 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Many Brighton fans deciding to write him off. Now there's a surprise, no reason for them to hold a grudge or anything...

Hes replacing McGeady as a squad/impact player. The squad is stronger with him as an option but if it doesn't work it hardly blunts our attack or de-rails our season as we won't need to rely on him. 

and were supposedly the "thick" ones.

Both Wednesday and Brighton have plenty of reasons to be optimistic for the coming season. 

Edited by Bluesteel

Good signing, excellent footballer, but his fitness could be a problem.

Irrespective of what's been said they loved him at Brighton and went to Sunderland when their Manager went there. He's our type of player not the type Allardyce or Hughton like which suits me.

Good signing.

He was terrific that season for Brighton before his move to Sunderland. Got good pace, good movement, can beat players & can create good opportunities. I think our style of play will suit him and that will hopefully help him find his best form.

He's also a different type of wide player to what we have. Gives us good options. Happy with it.

A good signing with the potential to be a very good one. And I think we'll find out relatively quickly too. Still need a couple of additions for the back 4 (1 at the very least) but I do like the way we adding players who will fit in. 

You may or may not care for my opinion on this.  Buckley had 3 seasons with us down at the south coast: 2 were very good, the third was poor.  He was prone to injury in his first 2 seasons, but still managed to be a very useful squad member and would usually be a first name on the team sheet type player if fit.  Something happened to him early around September '13 and even when he was fit, he never looked the same and seemed to have lost his pace for the rest of that season.  The general consensus was that the 2.5 million we got when he was sold at the beginning of the 15/16 season was a good deal for us.

Take into account that the YouTube link on this thread are highlights from 4 seasons ago, so it remains to be seen if that's the player you're going to get.  He was a popular player for us, so if Brighton fans (myself included) thought that he could re-find anything like that form, they'd have been wanting him back since last season when he first went on loan to Leeds and then Birmingham. 

32 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

2 things I liked seeing in that video..

1st - him making a diagonal run in behind the defence to score from a central position.

2nd - his pull backs were directed to available players... Not just pulled back into the middle.

I'm a big Wallace fan, but you hardly ever see him run in behind. Also, a lot of the time his pull backs from the by-line just seem to be formulaic, by which I mean just 'to the edge of the box' rather than picking out players.

I knows it's a highlight reel etc etc but Buckley strikes me as a winger who will definitely run in behind or across the defensive line. Just gives us more options and that's got to be a good thing.

Only negative seems to be he's susceptible to injuries and has had recurring problems with hamstrings, but that's only based on opinions from the Brighton and Sunderland forums.

Here's hoping. Welcome to the evolution WB. It's going to be one hell of a ride.

5 minutes ago, BHA83 said:

You may or may not care for my opinion on this.  Buckley had 3 seasons with us down at the south coast: 2 were very good, the third was poor.  He was prone to injury in his first 2 seasons, but still managed to be a very useful squad member and would usually be a first name on the team sheet type player if fit.  Something happened to him early around September '13 and even when he was fit, he never looked the same and seemed to have lost his pace for the rest of that season.  The general consensus was that the 2.5 million we got when he was sold at the beginning of the 15/16 season was a good deal for us.

Take into account that the YouTube link on this thread are highlights from 4 seasons ago, so it remains to be seen if that's the player you're going to get.  He was a popular player for us, so if Brighton fans (myself included) thought that he could re-find anything like that form, they'd have been wanting him back since last season when he first went on loan to Leeds and then Birmingham. 

Thanks. Much appreciated.

What's Knockheart like btw, we've had a bid accepted. Is he any good?