OFFICIAL - Will Buckley signs on loan

15 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Love how Brighton seem to think he's gone backwards since he left them... He's contracted to Premier League Sunderland and he's joined a Championship team that came closer to promotion last season than Brighton did. Hardly going backwards since leaving the Mighty Seagulls!!

Brighton though lol

Potential to be a really good signing, but a little worried by his involvement at leeds and birmingham last season. seemed to be given a shot at both and then dropped out of their teams. Not sure why that was at Leeds, at Birmingham is seems like the manager had conceeded the season wasn't going to end in anything and so opted to play kids instead to give them experience. So maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

He's quick, got two good feet and should provide good supply to Fletcher. PLus he's on a free come the end of the season if he does well. Pretty please with this move overall.

3 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Leeds and Brum were very average teams. With better players round him we will see a better player. But it's quite risk free so let's see what he can do.

He's only 26 it's not like his career is going downhill into his 30s

Yep, his crossing is better than anyone we have probably, so Fletcher will benefit. He likes getting to the goal line too and cutting back, so that'll probably mean more goals for Lee and Abdi than might have been otherwise.

3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Happy with Buckley loan. He's quick and has a real knack for beating his man, either at full pelt down the flanks or in tight byline areas to get a cross in. Occasional shades of Waddle in the way he often manages to create an extra half a hard when defenders are tight to him.

Good eye for a pass too, he reads the next 5-10 seconds of a game and spots runs well. Can see why he didn't slot in at Leeds, but I think he'll suit our style very nicely. Great option for giving flagging fullbacks real headaches coming off the bench on 70min.

I may do this for the mrs tonight...

2 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Love how Brighton seem to think he's gone backwards since he left them... He's contracted to Premier League Sunderland and he's joined a Championship team that came closer to promotion last season than Brighton did. Hardly going backwards since leaving the Mighty Seagulls!!

Technically, because we lost 1-0 in the final, we missed out on promotion by 2 goals

They missed out on automatic promotion by 2 goals, so in fairness they were exactly as close as us

Pointless bit of pedantry there

1 minute ago, Lee A said:

Technically, because we lost 1-0 in the final, we missed out on promotion by 2 goals

They missed out on automatic promotion by 2 goals, so in fairness they were exactly as close as us

Haha, technically we lost out by one goal - could have won on pens after a 1-1 draw!

Plus, the record books will say Wednesday losing play-off finalists, Brighton losing play-off semi-finalists!! lol

2 hours ago, ashamanic said:

I think it will always be a concern when we bring in someone who can't get a game for one of the worst teams in the Premier League, but I just have to accept that generally, Carlos knows what he is doing - a couple of loan signings last year didnt work, but in general, he has got it right

Yep just like Wickham then....

7 hours ago, dantheowl16 said:

I think he'd be a good singing. Wasn't he on loan at Birmingham last season? Think he did quite well there. Direct winger with a bit of pace, which is what's needed

Footballers we want. Not singers.

22 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Haha, technically we lost out by one goal - could have won on pens after a 1-1 draw!

Plus, the record books will say Wednesday losing play-off finalists, Brighton losing play-off semi-finalists!! lol

No it will say Burnley, Middlesbrough and Hull promoted.

26 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Yes, quite

Actually Brighton needed one more goal in the Boro game (or to concede 1 less) and they would have gone up automatically

Regarding Buckley - i like him but i think he's struggled with injuries which probably explains why he hasn't had consistently long runs in any team

But he has great pace, can finish and his movement will cause problems for the oppo's and space to exploit for our players

Good signing