Squad Numbers

1 minute ago, BRADDAZ said:

What's wrong with it?

The 1974 Holland World Cup squad had random numbers... Their goalkeeper wore number 8.

They weren't an half bad footballing side either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

Why shouldn't a number 2 goalkeeper have the number 2 shirt?

I like it.

He was number 8 because Cruyff was 14

25 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:
5 minutes ago, stabbo said:

For those going "who cares!?!?!" - I don't think people care really that much. It's more to do with being confused than outraged. It's just odd. It's not bad, it's just weird. 

I actually do think people care about this. Especially when I see stuff about comparisons with Vincent tan for instance. He's nothing like Vincent tan for god sake. Is he spending money? Yes .

Has he changed our strip to red? No. Let's talk about important stuff Yeah rather than being suicidal about chuffing squad numbers on players' backs.

I've been a bit cynical when people have said that the merchandising side of things has taken a back seat while we sort the important things out.

But I've now come to realise that: changing the badge, redesigning the kit, sorting out the players numbers, placing a flag over the old owl until it could be removed and other such things should always take priority.

These things don't sort themselves you know!

I'm not outraged, I'm just utterly bemused by it.

From 12 onwards I couldn't care less, but from 1-11 there's a tradition in England that the numbers go to players in a certain position.

It won't kill me to see a goalkeeper wearing number 2, or a striker wearing 6, but it's just odd.

And it's a shame that tradition is yet again just being completely thrown out of the window.

Certain numbers might be lucky in Thailand, but we're not in Thailand.

Edited by KivoOwl

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

By strange going in to a season without the number 9 & 10 shirts being allocated. Gets me excited more attackinh players may come in. Then again like has been said those squad numbers mean jack poo

Just wait till we sign Aiden Flint and give him the No 9 shirt.

:duntmatter:

1 minute ago, KivoOwl said:

I'm not outraged, I'm just utterly bemused by it.

And disappointed that yet more tradition is being thrown out of the window.

From 12 onwards I couldn't care less, but from 1-11 there's a tradition in England that the numbers go to players in a certain position.

It won't kill me to see a goalkeeper wearing number 2, or a striker wearing 6, but it's just odd.

And it's a shame that tradition is yet again just being completely thrown out of the window.

Certain numbers might be lucky in Thailand, but we're not in Thailand.

So why Am I surrounded by Ladyboys?

6 minutes ago, BRADDAZ said:

What's wrong with it?

The 1974 Holland World Cup squad had random numbers... Their goalkeeper wore number 8.

They weren't an half bad footballing side either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

Why shouldn't a number 2 goalkeeper have the number 2 shirt?

I like it.

That was batshit crazy too - how they played on the field is irrelevant.