Squad Numbers

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

thats not true .....football was a very even game until 1960 when the maximum wage was abolished but even then smaller clubs could be successful burnley and ipswich being prime examples .there chances dissapeared further when clubs were allowed to keep all the money from home games sometime in the 70s .......it dissapeared altogether when sky came on the scene and the only way to be successful is through the money men investing in your club .

I believe it was later than the 70s that were allowed to keep the home receipts.  Stand by that the richest teams at the time were the most successful. I just can't be arsed to research it but will bow to your superior knowledge for now.  

On 03/08/2016 at 20:43, Jowl said:
23 hours ago, Grandad said:

I travel fairly widely, and wherever I go, when I tell people I'm from Sheffield, invariably they ask if I'm a Wednesday fan.

I don't think we needed to make a goalkeeper a right back for publicity

Must admit, when considering some of our defending from crosses, I reckon there could be a case for playing Wilds mither in the back four.

22 minutes ago, Holmes said:

I believe it was later than the 70s that were allowed to keep the home receipts.  Stand by that the richest teams at the time were the most successful. I just can't be arsed to research it but will bow to your superior knowledge for now.  

In the 80's and then we got the big five clubs wanting more money to be given live games

Guest Deleted member
10 hours ago, Paolo Di Catio said:

So want have you got against a bloke ploughing bags of cash into the club that you love?

I did think this.

While I'm not overly keen on some aspects of the Chairman's running off the club when taken overall you have to be hyper critical not to acknowledge the positive effect his leadership has had. I can't understand how anybody could say they don't think much to him

Yes there are signs he's meddling far too much and not letting people do their jobs. But he's paid heftily for that right

13 minutes ago, ash60s said:

A number, any number, that's all it is

When I played for British Army, left midfield, I was allocated squad #9 - a lot smaller than my Army number  and a lot easier to rememberWTF:

That's a decent standard of football. I managed a few games for the Station/Base 1st teams (RAF) but was mostly a regular in the 2nd teams. :biggrin:

At least, at nearly 54, I'm still playing every week. :rolleyes:

Also played Combined Services Cyprus and civvy teams there & Germany France Belgium

Yes I was still playing at 50 but had horrendous RTA that year(2003) so had to pack everything in - don't even turn out for RE Veterans anymore

Football brain still works tho( I think)

Reply for FREE brylcream & murray mints lol