Squad Numbers

27 minutes ago, stabbo said:

http://www.thaizer.com/culture-shock/lucky-number-9/

I’m not superstitious (touch wood), but plenty of Thai people are and spending time here it soon becomes apparent just how many superstitions and beliefs there are in Thailand.

Odd numbers are often considered to be luckier than even numbers with the number 3 being very lucky. However, it is the number 9 which is supposed to bring most good fortune in Thailand. Not only is it 3 x 3, but the Thai word for nine, gao, has special status because it sounds similar to two other important Thai words:Kow-nah can be translated as progress or moving forward whilst the staple food of Thailand, rice, is called khao. The importance given to the number 9 can be seen in a number of diverse ways and the belief cuts across Thai society from the highest to lowest.

Last year, 9999 commemorative golden-coloured iPods were produced to mark the Thai king’s 60th anniversary. At Buddhist ceremonies such as weddings, 9 monks are often invited. When new buildings, hotels or shops are opened, 9 monks may also be invited to bless proceedings and ensure prosperity and good luck. A few years ago the Thai transport minister spent $95,000 on what was seen to be a particularly auspicious license plate with the number 9999. 
Lucky Thai car number plate
Keeping in with this Thai lucky number theme, I won’t be promoting top 10 places to stay in Thailand or top 5 things to see in Bangkok. Instead, it will be 9 recommended hotels and 9 sights to see.

Right, that’s quite enough talk about lucky numbers, I’m off to buy a lottery ticket . . .

So basically our " surprise " signing will be wearing the number 9...ok I can dig that  lol

Edited by daveyboy66

3 minutes ago, mike84 said:

What does it matter if he wears 2, 22 or 222?  It's a number?  Squad numbers haven't related to positions like in the good old days for years.

Why does it matter? It's not what we do. Teams can't have 3 numbers btw cos they don't fit on the shirt. Number 2 is for a rb end of.

Squad numbers have not necessarily related nut have rarely strayed from their traditional issuing in the majority of the established football countries in the world.

2 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Says who?

He's right.

It's based on the old formations.

That's why 9 is a centre forward and 2 and 3 are full backs etc

Edited by Donny.Owl

I for one am looking forward to our talisman, our main man, our hero, bossing the league in the vein of other great number 8's..waddle,Gascoigne, gerrard, lampard....Modou Sougou.

Guest Ash76

Said football tradition then? That changed when squad numbers came in.

Even pundits now refer to 'the old number 10' etc

4 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Why does it matter? It's not what we do. Teams can't have 3 numbers btw cos they don't fit on the shirt. Number 2 is for a rb end of.

Squad numbers have not necessarily related nut have rarely strayed from their traditional issuing in the majority of the established football countries in the world.

Its not what we do? 

1-11 numbers for the first (best 11) haven't been used for what 15+ years. 

Off the top of my head the following have gone against standard number conventions in the passed few seasons:

Spurr wearing 2 at left back and Buxton 3 at right back, Roger Johnson and Onyewu wearing 8 at CB, Palmer wearing 8 at right back, May wearing 7 up front.

Sure, some of these are odd but it's a shirt number as long as it doesn't impact their performance it'll be reet.

2 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Goalkeepers don't wear number flipping 2 end of. I'll ignore the rest like you've done with mine

They do now.

Strikers didn't used to wear number 45,. Centre halts didn't used to wear number 8... We've had both in the last few years.  Where was the outrage then?

1 minute ago, mike84 said:

They do now.

Strikers didn't used to wear number 45,. Centre halts didn't used to wear number 8... We've had both in the last few years.  Where was the outrage then?

Well I was unhappy as was many others I've spoken too. Goalkeepers don't wear number 2. They wear 1 or 13 if they are the second choice

36 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

I'm not outraged, I'm just utterly bemused by it.

From 12 onwards I couldn't care less, but from 1-11 there's a tradition in England that the numbers go to players in a certain position.

It won't kill me to see a goalkeeper wearing number 2, or a striker wearing 6, but it's just odd.

And it's a shame that tradition is yet again just being completely thrown out of the window.

Certain numbers might be lucky in Thailand, but we're not in Thailand.

Its nothing to do with Thailand and the 'tradition' of Nos 1-11 finished years ago when football became a squad game. Whilst i would personally rather see 1-11, i think we just have to accept that many players might like their 'odd' No for personal reasons and want to stick with them, Its who wears the shirt not what No is on it that counts !!