FFP (again, apologies)

3 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If it comes into effect on the first day of the season why doesn't it  end on the last day of the previous season?

Sorry mate, I don't follow. If new FFP comes into effect on 1st day of new season (effectively the legal commencement date) then the old FFP regs couldn't finish on last day of season because there would be a 2-3 month void in between.

A few thoughts. Quite quick and dirty, quite big picture, but there's a lot of wild speculation on this thread that isn't useful, and I would class Nixon's tweet in that category.

• Let's assume:
    • we lost GBP 6M in 13/14 and 14/15 and 13M in 15/16 (the maximum allowable in each season)
    • we spent 11M net on transfer fees in 15/16 (this appears to be roughly the consensus), which I'll assume amortises over 3 years.globally
    • Turnover remained at 14Mm in 15/16 and will remain at 14M in 16/17

So to my mind, all other things being equal, that means we can surmise that the wage bill in 15/16 increased from about 12.5M in 13/14 to about 18M. This could be higher if "other expenses" were lower than the 12/13 and 13/14 levels. So let's say our wage bill was 20M, which would put us in the top 10 or so for the division. The highest it could be would be about 23M, which would mean we were spending more than any non-parachute clubs.

So, for 16/17, if turnover is 14M and the wage bill is 20M we're already making a 6 million pound loss in 16/17. If the 3 year 39M alllowance is backdated 3 years that means the maximum loss allowable this year would be 20M.

So, as things stand, I would guess we have 14 million to play with on incremental wages and transfer costs. Very important to note that only a proportion of the transfer costs will hit the books in 16/17.

So, if we pay 12 million for Ross McCormack on a 3 year contract and pay him 3 million a year, we'll book 7 million of expenses for him in 16/17. That would still leave us with another 7 million to play with.

I don't see why anyone would be panicking over signing RM because of FFP.

The question about whether he is good value remains valid.

20 minutes ago, modboy said:

feels like we have put all our LB eggs in the Pudil basket. 

58.jpg

I'm still amazed that Bidwell only went for £1.5 million with his age and consistency. All bemoaning we didn't get him aside, I would have thought most Championship clubs would have flirted with the idea of signing him, but the final figure suggests QPR didn't face much competition from other clubs

As an aside, am I the only one that sees McCormack as a now highly unnecessary expense? With some prudent spending (which everyone is waiting for) you could sign a left bsck , centre back and at least one other midfielder for half what it'd cost to sign RM (minus wages of course)

Edited by StudentOwl

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

My take on Nixons tweet is DC is debating weather to go for it with an expensive signing , probably McCormack and go all out for promotion and hope it pays off. 

I agree

his follow up tweet was interesting, the one about getting the calculators out

to me that says he's still happy to spend, but not without jeopardizing the future of the club

isnt that what we want?

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

My take on Nixons tweet is DC is debating weather to go for it with an expensive signing , probably McCormack and go all out for promotion and hope it pays off. 

I must have missed something, I thought McCormack had been sold to Norwich, is that not the case

49 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

We cannot start the season with Helan as the only (debatable) left back at the club. Games come too thick and fast early on to allow that to happen

isnt there an international break after like 3 games?

Edited by marcx666

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

That's pretty much my take on it.

It's a big gamble if it's somebody like McCormack. If he gets a serious injury or we don't get promotion the levels of spend on transfers will be compromised in subsequent seasons when we need to maintain the push.

2 hours ago, spike1867 said:

"And are yet to spend a penny, forget wages that's no excuse for not spending a penny on transfer fees"

One of the most naive things I've ever heard.......you would have been happier paying a inflated fee AND wages for Fletcher, because that would have made us one of the big lads yeah?

Obviously not, but if I had a choice between picking up the unwanted scraps of teams hanging on to the prem by the skin on their teeth or a proven Championship striker like Mccormack, Rhodes etc I'd take the latter.

3 minutes ago, sam1 said:

Obviously not, but if I had a choice between picking up the unwanted scraps of teams hanging on to the prem by the skin on their teeth or a proven Championship striker like Mccormack, Rhodes etc I'd take the latter.

I agree, those unwanted scraps from the prem like Bannan and Fessi are f*cking awful lol

Serious question though mate, do you think before you type, or do you just go ahead and type whatever?